Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robjulo

Suspended
Jul 16, 2010
Lol. The Mac is a premium product with a premium price. There are no premium cars that do not offer air conditioning standard. That is the point you do not get. It is a premium price point with substandard components. But is ok because everything is "magical".

I'm so sick of this comment. And the 16GB iPhone one too. Did someone force you to take it with the HD instead of the Fusion or SSD? Upgrade it and then it is a just over 2-Grand machine with a SSD drive. Then decide if it's worth it.

It's the same thing auto makers have done for years. Air conditioning on many cars is a option. Who in their right mind buys a car without air conditioning. Answer: Almost no one. They OPT for it. It just allows the car company to say the base price is such and such and then you add what you need.

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
Problem with Healthkit and ResearchKit supported applications on personal devices is an iOS device is needed. Hence its relevant for the affluent segment of society. Not really where it's needed for maximum impact.

tw1ll

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2010
"Don't get full of yourself. Don't smoke your own exhaust. Don't worry about cannibalizing yourself," he said. "I think being hungry -- not being driven by money, but being driven by some higher purpose and building great products -- is really key. Never do something strictly for money. Do it for love, do it for passion."

What a colossal hypocrite! He is a member of the most astonishingly self-serving bunch of overpaid egotists on the planet. Give away all your cash and stock options then and get by on $100k a year then Tim. Only the rich can afford to spout such excrement.

Morgenland

macrumors 65816
May 28, 2009
Europe
Diabetes
I do not understand why Apple still does not offer its own hardware for diabetics. They have the money to calm the FDA preventer guys, to buy patents, and to set up easy-to-handle hardware. Today, there are various insulin pumps and cgm systems available, but looking on simplicity, they all are LPs instead of MP3s. Diabetes is a huge, determinable, defeatable, prospective and permanent market. Automobile market is so much harder to enter.
So, I personally am still dreaming of an Apple-Watch that monitors Blood Glucose and controlles an Apple Insulin pump. Then... I will buy my first Apple Watch. Promised.

Last edited:
Reactions: BornAgainMac

Soccertess

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2005
This is what I have been saying about Apple for a long time. People love to come on here and say it's all about the money. That a business will do whatever it is that makes them the most money. That's what the competition does with their plastic baloney they put out. Apple has always put a quality product first. I know they have some current issues, but this for the most part, is what their product philosophy is. Quality first.

Apple is completely about the money!! Apple is all about bringing you into there ecosystem and to their App store, and making you use proprietary hardware and docks!

Why do you think Apple watch only connects to iOS? Do you really think they care about people's health? well they do if you have an iphone i guess...

Tim is soo full of him self while Apple is tanking. I do think wearables will have a health revolution, I hope Google and others innovate and get it done!

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
LOL at things that don't drive revenue.
Not laughing at the idea that Tim references "magical" in regards to healthcare.

satchmo

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
When it comes to business advice, Cook ended the interview by saying companies shouldn't be worried about cannibalizing their products and shouldn't compromise. "Don't get full of yourself. Don't smoke your own exhaust. Don't worry about cannibalizing yourself," he said. "I think being hungry -- not being driven by money, but being driven by some higher purpose and building great products -- is really key. Never do something strictly for money. Do it for love, do it for passion."

While passion should trump over money, I think it's a bit rich of Tim to say this.

I would have preferred if he added something about being profitable, good margins and rewarding yourself. At least he wouldn't come off sounding like such a hypocrite.

Reactions: thermodynamic

thermodynamic

Suspended
May 3, 2009
USA
"Ripe"?

Considering he's talking down to people as if they're toddlers with "magical" and other nonsense... he can can the act and find a new song and dance. Especially as healthcare costs are already through the roof, using a company with huge profit margins and higher costs than competition sure as heck isn't going to help anyone. Except his wallet.

Maybe they could start with the VA and TSA and expand from there repairing bureaucracies.

Government doesn't have much money. Maybe Apple will offer a YUGE discount? I mean, with Apple's walled gardens it can do what any drug dealer does - offer free samples, lock 'em in, then jack up the prices so they effectively can't leave. Simple.

Government should use true open source instead of relying on these companies to spoonfeed, especially as these companies exist to profit first while selling an image of anything else.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
Apple is completely about the money!!

I hope so! They're on Wall Street, and they don't fill 501c3 forms for a reason.

Apple is all about bringing you into there ecosystem and to their App store, and making you use proprietary hardware and docks!

True. Once you buy an apple product you get electrocuted even at the idea of switching back to Win/Linux/Android/BeOS. You are FORCED into this madness, and you can't get out!

Why do you think Apple watch only connects to iOS? Do you really think they care about people's health?

Thankfully they're the only company like that. My bank cares about me. Microsoft cares about me. And google? yes, they do care about me. I love 'em all, except greedy apple.

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
Years ago I heard a very successful entrepreneur speak about his business. When it got to the questions and answers, somebody asked him a "bottom line" question. I will always remember his answer, which went something like this: "I don't worry about the bottom line. If you worry about the customers, the bottom line takes care of itself." Probably the simplest and wisest single piece business advice I have ever heard.

What company, and where is it now?

Morgenland

macrumors 65816
May 28, 2009
Europe
Tim said in the past FDA approving is too cumbersome and he doesn't want to deal with that. Maybe he changed his mind finally.

Yes, thank you. I do remember and I feel with him (FDA just declares to care for people, in real they slow down any innovation). Nobody likes to colaborate with mafia-like organisations, but... At least, I hope, Tim will use his capabilities to get things running.

Last edited:

BigHonkingDeal

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2009
Fort Pierce
"Don't get full of yourself. Don't smoke your own exhaust. Don't worry about cannibalizing yourself," he said. "I think being hungry -- not being driven by money, but being driven by some higher purpose and building great products -- is really key. Never do something strictly for money. Do it for love, do it for passion."

Yeah, the passion for money.... Screen Shot 2016-05-24 at 3.43.34 PM.png

thermodynamic

Suspended
May 3, 2009
USA
Apple is completely about the money!! Apple is all about bringing you into there ecosystem and to their App store, and making you use proprietary hardware and docks!

Why do you think Apple watch only connects to iOS? Do you really think they care about people's health? well they do if you have an iphone i guess...

Tim is soo full of him self while Apple is tanking. I do think wearables will have a health revolution, I hope Google and others innovate and get it done!

A for-profit company is about profit, money, first and foremost. It will do as little as necessary to get the biggest amount of money as a result. That's the purest definition, and the college professor who taught us that that was by no means a commie liberal. Though he might have been ironic, given the college's policies but I went above and beyond when I was allowed to anyway...

Wearables existed long before Apple got into the gimmick and are a fad after a certain point, and who needs a Polar Loop to count a pulse when one can use their fingers over the wrist, learn how to add, learn how to look at a clock, and how to multiply by x depending on how long they count the number of thumps. A $50 toy isn't worth it and one can rely on their own biological processes, how they feel, as to when it's time to cool off, go faster, or stop. Over-reliance on gizmos is simply stupid, as people will discover like how they could have even 10 years ago. There are so many obvious ways but we live in an economy that tries to be separate from nature, so it's no wonder they don't want to-- nevermind.

Having said that, the iPhone build quality is pretty darn good (better than the Samsung S7 Edge in crash tests and by a decent margin) and I'm sure the watch is of good build quality as well. And iTunes' AAC format beats the snot out of a comparable MP3 (256kbps). As much as I gripe about build quality in some of Apple's other products, I refuse to be one-sided.

Tim took good lessons from mentor and friend Jobs, though I suspect Jobs knew things would have gone downhill regardless. Though unlike Jobs he's done a lot better with recalls and extended plans, even if one of them was more of a quick and dirty workaround than a proper fix.But by now even I would be close to replacing that model of machine fully, but for a $2500 laptop I'd expect 5 or 6 years without a single hiccup. Most customers would.

Reactions: Soccertess

ksnell

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2012
"I think being hungry -- not being driven by money, but being driven by some higher purpose and building great products -- is really key. Never do something strictly for money. Do it for love, do it for passion."

Pretty sure he is talking to everyone bashing him for not being Steve Jobs on that one.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
Apple, you have made so much money from your devices, you could start selling revisions of the iPhone for $200. So why don't you?

Reactions: Osamede

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
What company, and where is it now?

Carrow's restaurants, founded by David Nancarrow (who also founded Coco's and other enterprises). That is who I heard speak, not long before he died, after which the company was sold to corporate types who proceeded to run it into the ground.

Reactions: Osamede
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.