Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
"Last night, Cook emailed employees to address the contents of that meeting being leaked, admonishing those who revealed the details of the discussions to the press, but now that email has also been leaked to The Verge."

Leaking like a sieve.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
"Last night, Cook emailed employees to address the contents of that meeting being leaked, admonishing those who revealed the details of the discussions to the press, but now that email has also been leaked to The Verge."

Leaking like a sieve.

Yep. That’s why none of us were surprised by the announcement of the flat-sided Apple Watch, Airpod 3’s, and satellite communication phones.

duffman9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2003
Deep in the Depths of CA
I wonder what kind of NDAs the employees sign when they're hired. They should be able to use civil subpoena powers to determine the identities of at least some of these leakers... or those don't use TOR, VPN, or OCONUS websites.

I'm silently cheering the leakers, and I don't know why. It could have something to do with one man at this company receiving 5 million shares of AAPL stock while we have 1.9 billion people living in extreme poverty. Everything Tim says about doing the right thing and being about the people goes out the window when he does another stock or bonus grab. He's a cold, capitalist mongrel. Kinda reminds me of Trump.
There was a recent story on Ars IIRC about what employees have to agree to when working for Apple. Like linking their work Apple ID with their personal Apple ID. That leads to some truly stupefying privacy implications. Apple touts privacy for users but not their employees.

JaydenA

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2021
Tim Apple being angry looks so much like
429496e44b95e8a56048f6b5c739d4f5.png

Reactions: IonBlade

beerseagulls

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2021
He has a brand new Fiero available in 4 fantastic colors, and you're gonna love it.

Now I'm worried... Are you an Apple engineer who somehow scanned my iPhone or computers at home? Otherwise, how can you possibly know that the Fiero is my all-time favorite car??????

IonBlade

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2011
<Ignore, had a meme here, tried to fix the image to fix a transparency issue, now I get an error message trying to upload the replacement image, and the original is already gone.>

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: cmaier

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Interesting. I charge my mini once per 1-2 days and I'm doing quite a lot with it. But hey, if thinking that minis are "dumb" makes you happy, go for it.

I choose to believe the whole world and not you.

• Disagree
Reactions: DFZD and IonBlade

DFZD

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2012
1. The notch is fine, I don't see it as any better or worse than a pinhole camera. Until under screen cameras are perfected I'm happy with how it is.
2. The battery life of the 13 series is looking to be excellent so I don't know where you are getting the twice a day thing from, on MKBHD he used a 13 Pro Max for a whole day of heavy use and had over 50% remaining.
3. I see ultra fast wireless charging as a negative, it absolutely wrecks your batteries life span, if I had the option I'd slow charge at 5W to 80% - I'm an electronic and electrical engineer.
4. I haven't transferred data over my phones lightning port ever, not once in 5 years. They could remove the port and I'd be fine with it.
5. The 13 Pro cameras look to have good Zoom, are you talking about the non-pro's?
6. I give you that, an under display finger print reader would be welcome.
7. Same as above.
8. I can't think of a less appealing form faster than a folding phone. The bar design is optimal.
9. I have used Android on a number of occasions and see iOS as a massive advantage over it, especially if like me you also use Macs, Apple Watches, Apple TV, and Homepods.
1. Personal preference.
2. Pro Max series is only 1 of the 4 devices. You can't be selective in praising the entire iPhone series for its battery life this way.
3. So 90W charging on larger macbook pro devices must be killing them then?
4. Again personal preference, and TBH your statement reeks of good old bias. Every single apple device has the faster USB C port now, except iPhones.
5. The zoom is no where close to what Android devices are offering since the last 2 years.
8. Well, have you checked out Galaxy Flip Z? It might change your mind.
9. iOS plays well with Apple devices of course, but as a standalone OS it's restricted as hell. Apple should open it at least for pro users, at least the level of freedom on Mac OS should be provided.

IonBlade

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2011

From your first link:
My iPhone 12 Mini's battery was at 23% after about 9.5 hours of use, which consisted of streaming video for about 45 minutes, streaming music for 40 minutes, and gaming for about 10 minutes. I also took photos sporadically for an hour while at a nearby park and spent the rest of the day reading email, checking social media, and web browsing on the device.

From your second link:
The iPhone 12 mini has a small 2,227 mAh battery, so it's not a big surprise that this phone lasted only 7 hours and 28 minutes on our web surfing battery over 5G.

And from your third link:
Our web browsing test represents a very typical daily use: no demanding tasks, simply browsing and scrolling around the phone, and this test is one of the best indications about the battery life of a phone for just average use.

Good news is that the iPhone 12 Mini did an absolute excellent job on it, considering its tiny battery of course. With a score of nearly 11 hours, it is not quite as good as the iPhone 12 and 12 Pro, but it is significantly better than the cheaper iPhone SE and not far away from Android rivals with nearly double its battery size. Good job, Mini!

Now, let's compare that to the statement you're saying can't be true:
Interesting. I charge my mini once per 1-2 days and I'm doing quite a lot with it. But hey, if thinking that minis are "dumb" makes you happy, go for it.

So... you think it can't be true that someone only needs to charge their Mini once a day, when all 3 tests above show that you get, at minimum, 7.5 hours with regular professional use cases (not playing games or watching videos nonstop, but doing tasks like surfing the web, texting, using unified communication apps, and replying to mail)? "The world" seems to agree with the user you're arguing with, not you.

Cause that's how I use my 12 Mini, and I also only charge once a day at the end of the day. If I forget to charge it at night, it will usually take me through the next afternoon as well, though it won't last 2 full days.

I took it off the charger this morning and have 48% left right now, with 3 hours of screen on time.

The only test that showed it getting less than that was streaming YouTube for 5+ hours and gaming, which isn't the use case for most people buying a Mini in the first place.

Darth Tulhu

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2019
How many years ago was it that Apple was supposedly "doubling down (tripling?) on Security"?

This leaked memo addressing leaks borders on Blazing Saddles' level of absurdity and hilarity.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
How many years ago was it that Apple was supposedly "doubling down (tripling?) on Security"?

This leaked memo addressing leaks borders on Blazing Saddles' level of absurdity and hilarity.
Except that this time around there were a lot of very wrong rumors by supposedly reliable rumor reporters, so something is definitely going on. Remember the satellite phone? The airpods 3? The flat-edged watch?

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
That seems a little dramatic, but I’ll bite....how so? How is the rumor mill “devastating” to the community? I don’t see it that way at all. Gives us something to talk about. It would be AWFULLY quiet around here if we didn’t have leaks to discuss. We’d only be talking about the past and the site would be called MacHistory.com, not MacRumors.

Additionally, a lot of the so-called leaks aren’t even accurate. I actually enjoy the presentations MORE these days because I have an idea of what will be coming, but still not enough detail that there aren’t a few surprises or new details. It’s also interesting seeing how wrong these “leakers” were. Before I remember everyone getting their hopes up high only to be shown some minor upgrades and then be bitterly disappointed that they wasted their time. I think the way it is now is perfect balance. At least for me.

I think your second part there about a lot the so-called leaks aren't even accurate describes very well how I feel about leaks in general. I also have to say that I like the before mentioned rumor mill to a degree, but the rapid fire rumor mill where everything that any person thinks in their head has to become a leak or a fact.

I only enjoy macOS presentations and new Mac hardware presentations too. I've only "recently" been born into the world of iOS - from when the iPhone was announced. And I was set back at the presentation of the iPhone back then. The Mac and its own closed eco-system has been with me much more than iOS and all its siblings(WatchOS and AppleTV's OS)

I have once been disgruntled over hardware mockups, but the then I realized that what I like to do is similar to that of e.g making themes for macOS - with that I mean that I sometimes completely destroy a perfectly good memory of a time gone by re-imaging a theme.

I've relaxed a bit on my war cry against those who thinks that's a major thing. All the power to them.

I do see a problem where people play the guessing game too much.
All will be revealed in the end. Whether you or I or anyone like it.

And if it isn't, then what are you and I going to do about that? Take your bicycle and ride out to the Apple Headquarters and begin throwing eggs at the oh so pretty facade?
That wouldn't help one bit either.. I think we armchair warriors ought to relax just a tad more and let things unfold. I don't fully agree with you on the statement that MacRumors or other websites covering Apple and its culture will then become stale. Also, I believe that Apple will most certainly wake up from their sleep and realize that their previously strong user base has gone against them in a way that perhaps Tim Cook can no longer ignore the stale community they have.

I also very much doubt my own statement above in that Apple will wake up. However, there has to be someone to buy their products with sub-par possibilities of customizing their communion operating systems. Then again Steve Jobs also once said that most people will not use the default wallpaper from most OS X releases and instead use their own.
Just look at the gallery of wallpapers that Apple provides today with Big Sur.. they've really made it not especially interesting using most of their default wallpapers. And with Monterey Apple has been putting download icons on their wallpapers.. Steve Jobs could have been right with that statement that I obviously paraphrased but didn't butcher.

All I say is that the flow of information is:
1632371547729.png

And all the sudden I lost interest in this whole discussion as I've exhausted most of my vocabulary and intelligence and there are obviously people on here more capable of engaging in a healthy discussion than me. I hope that you and everyone proceed with the engagement of discussing what the leaking and rumors mean to Apple. I wouldn't be happy should rumors be started about my person or if I was doxed with the intention of leaking information about me that ought not to be in the hands of other internet armchair warriors. I say armchair warriors with an IRL wink( not really - I'm just explaining in words the ? ) because you will notice that I am such myself and I really need to stop commenting on the internet when I'm so limited in words. I'd like to excuse myself with my Danish-ness as the reason why I'm incapable of putting sentences together that makes sense. I'll use that same excuse right now in fact :p

MadeTheSwitch

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2009
I won’t quote that wall of text but I will say that sure was a lot of words for a position I still don't understand, but whatever. Thanks...I guess? ?‍♂️

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
I won’t quote that wall of text but I will say that sure was a lot of words for a position I still don't understand, but whatever. Thanks...I guess? ?‍♂️
Oh, I'm sorry about that. Thanks for expressing that I wrote a wall of text - ?‍♂️ I guess.

Also, this isn't Twitter.. if you want a two sentence reply then go to Twitter. I guess. ?‍♂️

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: MadeTheSwitch

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Apple does not like that it's spyware (originally and initially destined for iOS 15) was leaked.

Godspeed, leakers. Apple has a toxic culture that deserves to see the light of day.
Very true. This toxic culture goes all the way to the top with Tim Cook one of the alleged perpetrators of this toxic culture.
Apple execs probably need to take a step back and evaluate how this looks from their customers perspective (its great to have secrets and surprises of course).

Because if the company comes off looking like the Empire ensuring those secrets for a few months - its probably not a good choice, as it will damage your brand far worse than details getting out early.
Well said. Especially when these secrets are about Apple's toxic culture, spyware and other PR disasters just waiting to happen.

Product leaks are one thing, but toxic culture needs to be leaked. It needs to be dealt with. Apple refuses to deal with it so it's up to the brave whistleblowers to expose Apple and leak Apple's dirty toxic secrets.

Reactions: MadeTheSwitch

Schizoid

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2008
UK
This leaked letter about leaks is obviously Apple planting leaked information to see which leaker is leaking the leaks.

businessnumbersmoneypeopl

macrumors regular
Nov 24, 2020

It is true that iPhone mini cannot last for a full day if the only thing one wants to do during the day is to stream video, non-stop. And as the links you kindly provided show, neither can bigger iPhone 12 models. For those who spend their days mostly streaming videos with no electricity sockets nearby it's definitely advisable not to buy Mini, or any other iPhone for that matter. Or at least buy a battery pack.

Vlad Soare

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2019
Bucharest, Romania
Seriously? You don’t think it’s great that now you have a full-blown computer in your pocket that let’s you summon a car, video call a loved one, provide navigation directions, read all the latest news, watch almost any movie or tv show, etc., all from anywhere you happen to be?

While those products are indeed great, I don't think they make the world any better; quite the contrary. I think the world was better when people used to live in the real world, to notice and enjoy the real world, to hang out with friends and relatives, rather than being just a bunch of zombies, impervious to everything around them, immersed in games and social media sites from dawn till dusk, addicted to their mobile phones like junkies to their shots.

Summon a car via an iOS app? Sure, it's nice, but it's not like making a phone call to accomplish the same thing would be such a major problem. We've been doing it for decades and didn't mind it.

Navigation directions? Yes, they're nice, but a Garmin, or TomTom, or the native navi system of a car, do it much better than an iPhone, so we don't realy owe Apple too much in this respect. Not to mention that Apple Maps are an absolute and total crap outside US, and for a long time they used to be crap in the US as well.

Read the latest news? I don't think reading a newspaper or watching TV was a big problem back in the days when we didn't have the internet. Besides, if you want to read them in electronic format, a computer is a much better and more comfortable tool for this task than an iPhone. It's not like we owe this to Apple; after all, the latest news used to be on the internet even before 2007.

Watch any movie or TV show? Yes, it's nice, but again, it's not like Apple has invented the wheel here. Apple TV has come quite late to the party, if my memory serves. Besides, I don't think it made the world better. Just lazier. I think the world was a bit nicer when we used to go out with our friends to watch a movie or a play, rather than watching it on an iPad in our bedroom.

I'll give you that Apple products are great, that they're the best in their field - which is why I also use them myself, but whether the world is better thanks to them... no, I don't think it is.

All suits look bad, because suits are stupid. Also: fashion sucks.

Merely being gay does not impart any sense of taste.

Also consider that Tim has had to work within the the typically conservative, often toxic-masculinity-filled, corporate world for decades. It’s probably still a serious limiting factor in how he might present himself, while wanting to maintain all those business relationships... especially seeing how pissed some of Apple fanatics get when he DOES dare to step out of the bare minimum of what’s expected by corporate CEOs.

Maybe, but that's no reason not to do it right, i.e. to match colours and to tie his necktie properly. Either you wear a suit and tie properly, or you give up and just wear a sweater instead. A suit that's worn sloppily looks even worse than no suit at all.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.