Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tapiture

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2016
I use Spotify because I prefer their app (both mobile and desktop) and I think that their playlists and curation are better. Also, I just feel better supporting the independent company and helping healthy competition.

Tapiture

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2016
Spotify's "Discover Weekly" is a nightmare for me - they create a playlist with tracks titels I can't even read because they are not in the Latin alphabet! Just wondering where the hell are those recommendations coming from: I never listen to Serbian or Chinese rap or something.
Yeah, I’d agree that I don’t use that feature. But there’s a lot of other reasons I like Spotify and I’m not going to penalize them for offering to try and help me find new music.

Reactions: Dougie Jones

RodSerlingLives

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2017
Ansonia, CT
The algorithms in Spotify are better than Apple Music IMO. I don't give a crap about your personalized teams of people. I want to easily follow artists, get the new releases of those artists and receive some of the best recommendations for new music based on artists I follow. Apple Music misses the mark on these things. It isn't as flexible either.

Peperino

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2016
If Cook is so concern that humanity will be drained out of music, then start from paying Composer and Publishers the money they deserve, specially about streaming.

Ther reason there are much less music is because composer/Publishers cannot survive anymore with the less than CHILD LABOR rates they are paying. And that goes not just for Apple, but YouTube, Spotify, Pandora, etc...

I did not see Tim Crook asking congress for better streaming rates for music.

He is so full....of money... that he is making of poor musicians...

What a joke...

Mefisto

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2015
Finland
I'm still a firm believer that streaming music of any sort takes away the "humanity", and that includes Apple Music and Spotify and YouTube. Buying music means you own it and you directly support the makers of the music, and you can hold that collection at any time, anywhere, with service or not.

But what do I know, I still use my iPod classic and iPod nano just about every day. :p

Agreed on almost all counts, but unless you buy the music directly from the band at shows etc., there will still be enough middle men for the band to barely make peanuts on record sales. And this goes mostly for smaller bands, I really have no idea how merch sales work for bigger bands recording for the majors. Having discussed this pretty recently with a lead singer for a fairly famous band, the consensus seems to be that going to shows and buying merchandise is what brings the artists their paycheck.

Like I said, I can't prove or disprove that statement, but when you think about it it doesn't sound all that far fetched. That's the reason I drag my behind to shows, buy t-shirts and stockpile "obsolete" formats in my already small apartment, straight from the source whenever possible.

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
Meanwhile, Spotify has useful recommendations based on your taste and Apple Music no matter what pushes their taste. I’m getting hardcore rap no matter suggestions and not the first from what I read. Apple Music is really just a big advertising platform for artists.

Whatsit2u

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2018
Rather than worrying about the humanity, how about Apple focus on the sound quality? Tidal offers CD-quality streams, plus a growing number of MQA titles. Apple, as far as I know, doesn't even reveal the (relatively low) quality of its streams. Want more humanity? Give us better sound.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
I've really enjoyed Apple Music, much more now with my HomePod. I listen to music much more now and AM is constantly pushing new artists my way that I enjoy. The whole experience has been great. I hope Apple keeps with this same approach and focuses on human curation.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
Support brick and mortar record stores while they exist! I dread the day I have to start buying my music digitally, whoever the merchant.
Im trying to get a recording of a 1970 rock band who records albums every 7 years, so far I have not seen that release being sold except for itoonies and amusin. Next time im in Nyc or even madison wisconsin, i can buys the CD. What i might do is convert their you tube vids into mp3s, and mail them a $20 cheque.

Guy Clark

Suspended
Nov 28, 2013
London United Kingdom.
I subscribe to both Apple Music and Spotify and both offer an excellent service. Although I have both the Apple Music and Spotify apps installed on my Android phone I primarily use Spotify whilst on the move finding it easier to navigate.

Although I have a Mac at home I see no reason to carry all my eggs in one basket.

Last edited by a moderator:

dewski

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2011
lol what is Cook talking about. Apple Music and spotify do the exact same thing don't they? Apple's just sucks and spotify is great. The radio feature and playlists from spotify are amazing. They have helped me discover so many bands. The metal algorithms are insanely good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.