Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple CEO Tim Cook said in an interview with The Independent that the upcoming Vision Pro is part of his nightly routine, and that it has convinced him that spatial computing is the future. He described using the Vision Pro as an industry-defining "aha" moment.

Apple-Vision-Pro-with-battery-Feature-Orange.jpg

"There are huge differences in how people look at it, depending on if they've read about it or actually tried it," said Cook. "I believe even more about how profound spatial computing is. When you've tried it, it's an aha moment, and you only have a few of those in a lifetime."

While analysts don't expect the Vision Pro headset to sell well during its first year of availability, and have expressed skepticism about Apple's ability to bring costs down, Cook remains positive about the headset's future impact.

Cook has been in Europe to meet with app developers, and he said that so far, Apple is seeing "some incredible work." He went on to explain that there's "so much [developer] excitement out there" over the headset, which is set to come out in 2024.

The headset will have a gaming focus, and Apple is solidifying its reputation for gaming with the iPhone 15 Pro models. There's an A17 Pro in the iPhone 15 Pro and Pro Max that allows for console-quality gaming, and Apple is working with developers to bring console games to the device. Cook said that Apple is "very serious" about gaming and that it is "not a hobby" for the company. "We're putting all of ourselves out there," he said.

Cook's full interview, which also includes some tidbits about apps being created for Vision Pro, can be read at The Independent.

Article Link: Apple CEO Tim Cook on Using Vision Pro: 'It's an Aha Moment'

Tyler O'Bannon

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2019
I don’t think he’s wrong, they are just up against 2 big issues since their last blockbuster product, iPhone:

1. They took a phone and made it take great photos and use the internet, all things that made sense being out in a phone, and they did it well. Everyone was accustomed to using a phone, not everyone is accustomed to using a headset.

2. An iPhone was not $3,500. They are up against a significantly higher price tag to try something new. People who need a $3,500 MacBook Pro will buy it. People will be hesitant to pay that jus to try something new.

Marx55

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2005
Apple should make a cheaper Vision model without personalization and allowing to wear prescription glasses (no need for inserts) just to watch 3D movies (or huge-screen movies). Just for that. That is what most people want.

Last edited:

zakarhino

Contributor
Sep 13, 2014
I think much of the contention I see on the forum is whether or not Vision Pro will do well, not necessarily if Apple Vision/visionOS as a whole will do well. Vision Pro may struggle initially, sure, but in the long term I believe in the always present AR platform that you wear all day in a normal looking pair of glasses.

I think one of the big use cases for the future AR version is essentially just applying the concept of watchOS complications/iOS widgets but projected onto the real world, statically placed in contextual areas of your life: your desk with reminders floating in the background, cooking timers floating above the stovetop, transit times floating about the subway platform, etc. This is clearly the direction Apple will go because look at the headline feature of Sonoma: widgets on the desktop. I'm finding them to be way more useful on macOS than ever before, hell they're even more useful than on iPhone.

The problem right now is Vision Pro's bulk necessitates a sit down, at home dedicated session with the device rather than enabling a "just in time widget info" experience like Google Glass tried to do. So many of the app use cases and demos are centered around a "floating iPad" experience with someone on a coach or at a desk. I think the real "aha" moment comes when people realize these devices can provide the right information, at the right time as you conduct your every day life -- but again that's not possible with Vision Pro, only a future version "Vision Air" or something.

In the long term, once the entire product line has been unveiled and has time to mature, I suspect Vision Pro will be the flagship device for dedicated immersive VR experiences and a different product (Vision Air or whatever) will be the flagship for AR experiences. A normal looking pair of glasses can never achieve the level of immersion that goggles can because they don't block the surrounding world.

Vision Air will be the iPhone, designed with the sole purpose of being the best possible always on AR Experience.

Vision Pro will be the Mac, designed with the primary purpose of being an at home/at work powerful device that can immerse you in a virtual space.

Maybe an entry level device, Vision, serves as a middle ground, kind of like iPad.

Last edited:

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
A bit bold to say that Apple is solidifying its reputation in gaming via the iPhone 15. I think the impact on gamers is minute. How about making MacOS more gamer friendly? Last time I tried to game on it I couldn’t natively turn off cursor acceleration and had to download third party solutions to do it, which kept breaking with every OS update.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
I look forward to trying this all new tech from Apple, 6-8 years in the making. A mobile screen of ANY size without creases & hinges or rolls seems VERY desirable to me. Scaling up mobile screens without scaling weight for physically-larger screens is exciting. For road warrior types who wish they could have a big desktop monitor (or two) with them when flying and away from home base, this seems like the ideal option among all possibilities: relatively small & light weight, but delivering virtual screens as big as the user wants.

However, if Apple is now… finally… 'serious' about gaming, put some sizable money towards it… like Microsoft and Sony. They have a model in AppleTV+ content creation. Take a little slice of cash out of vaults 37-42 to subsidize similar development of AAA games… just like the major competitors. Buy a few big game studios like the major competitors, instead of always letting those competitors buy them instead. Else, it’s just a lot of talk and wow tech… AGAIN… while AAA developers go where they make the most money.... AGAIN.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.