Apple CEO Tim Cook Pokes Fun at Windows PCs in Commencement Address at MIT

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 9, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple CEO Tim Cook today delivered the 2017 commencement address at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

[​IMG]

Cook first reflected on his inability to figure out what the purpose of his life is, while poking fun at Windows PCs in the process. For context, Cook briefly worked at former PC maker Compaq in early 1998 prior to joining Apple.
    Cook's search eventually led him to Apple in 1998, when the company was flirting with bankruptcy and struggling to survive.

Tim Cook appears around 7:00 mark

Working with Apple co-founder Steve Jobs, Cook said he eventually learned "life's biggest and most important question" being "how can I serve humanity?"
    Cook concluded his speech by saying he's "optimistic" in the next generation's own journey to serve humanity.
    Cook toured the MIT campus on Thursday. "So impressed by MIT students and faculty who are finding new ways to tackle the world's biggest challenges," he tweeted. "Thanks for sharing your work!"

Article Link: Apple CEO Tim Cook Pokes Fun at Windows PCs in Commencement Address at MIT

2. Sunny1990, Jun 9, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2017

Sunny1990 Suspended

Sunny1990

SMH! Another cringe moment from this Guy! Tim cook keep Focus on innovation rather than making fun of other companies.

3. Relentless Power, Jun 9, 2017

Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Why would you be shaking your head? Cook can have a little humor too. It's normal. Not everything Cook does has to focus on innovation.

4. krause734 macrumors 6502a

krause734

Time for a Boston Apple Campus. Austin and Ann Arbor too.

5. Pangalactic macrumors 6502

Pangalactic

"I might even have experimented with a Windows PC. And obviously that didn't work. Now I experiment with Macs. And obviously that doesn't work either."

6. sirdir macrumors regular

sirdir

Hint: If you want to serve humanity, don't avoid taxes to that extent.

7. SteveJobs2.0 macrumors 6502a

Serving humanity?! That's certainly an interesting way to look at a career in developing luxury goods with record-setting levels of markup.

8. Digidesign macrumors 6502

Hey, shareholders are human too! They are just the more important humans. /s

9. bladerunner2000 macrumors 68020

bladerunner2000

How can I serve humanity? This is life's biggest and most important question.

You could start by allowing consumers to have the right to repair their Apple products. Or not practice planned obsolescence. Or sell products that aren't artificially priced. Or give consumers proper options. Or not evade taxes. Or not stifle innovation.

10. CrystalQuest76 Suspended

He runs a company that produces stuff and huge profits. The stuff that he produces are sometimes used by individuals either on their own or working for organizations that do serve humanity.

11. GrumpyMom macrumors 604

GrumpyMom

I kind of agree, but at this point one has to look around at how our government is spending the money that it does get and think perhaps it's not the worst thing in the world for Apple to sit on that cash after all.

12. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

Tim should be poking fun at himself but I guess that's too easy of a target.

13. gertruded macrumors 6502

Maybe this is a warning for Apple. When I graduated in 1960, Edwin H Land was the commencement speaker. Where is the Polaroid Corporation now?

14. lunarworks macrumors 68000

Things people do with their lives:

Tim Cook - Delivers inspiring speech to college graduates.

Everyone Here - Complains about it on the internet.

15. Tapiture macrumors 65816

Tapiture

Dude you’re always on this guy’s ass. You expect him to be some robot locked in his office constantly. His job is marketing and brand development, and that’s what he’s doing here. As well as recruiting some of the world’s smartest graduates.

16. d-oost macrumors 6502a

Yeah, making fun of other companies is something Steve Jobs would never... wait a second.

17. atmenterprises macrumors 6502

I don't pay taxes I'm not legally required to pay either, but call me crazy.

18. meaning-matters, Jun 9, 2017

meaning-matters macrumors 6502

meaning-matters

Mr. Cook shared personal experiences that I found touching. We're all seekers, trying to find purpose in life. Good speech!

19. Michaelgtrusa, Jun 9, 2017

Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Slamming Windows is not what he should be their for.

20. macs4nw macrumors 601

macs4nw

Give it a rest. The commencement was the right balance between inspiration for a new crop of young entrepreneurs and a little light-hearted fun.

21. jasonklee macrumors 6502a

jasonklee

Devastating to watch Mac sales plummet. We need real innovation like 30-day battery life, Blu-ray, 8K display, 5 TB drive, all in a light and thin aluminum body for only $600.

The iMac Pro should be $1,000 AT MOST. I can build a PC with the same specs for less than the crazy $5,000 they are asking for. HomePod should be $50.

Until then I am voting with my wallet and proudly giving my money to real innovative artists like Samsung and Asus. They DESTROY everything Apple makes.

22. discounteggroll macrumors 6502

discounteggroll

this was at MIT...I wonder how many students/faculty rolled their eyes at that joke because they are primarily using something other than macOS

23. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Slamming? Hardly. He was just mixing humor along with his speech. I have No idea why everybody wants to tear every word Cook says apart. It's ludicrous.

24. wigby, Jun 9, 2017

wigby macrumors 68000

What Mac sales are plummeting? I honestly cannot tell if you're using sarcasm to make a point or truly expecting a computer built for professional to only cost $1000.

On a related note: http://appleinsider.com/articles/17...rs-struggle-to-meet-price-with-fewer-features

25. Zirel, Jun 9, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2017

Zirel Suspended

Zirel

Apple's profit margin is lower than Google's or Microsoft's.

Yeah, Apple is the biggest taxpayer in the US.