Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple CEO Tim Cook Sells $131.7 Million in Apple Stock

Smearbrick

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2013
Central PA
Yay... meanwhile the rank and file are underpaid. Congratulations on all your money and success, Tim. Now move on so Apple can hire someone with charisma and vision. Hell, I can’t remember the last time I was excited for an Apple product reveal, and they used to be appointment television.

Comment

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Stock has run up too far too fast, Tim sells at the peak. Could be a rebuy in 6 months
As mentioned a few times earlier in this thread, sales like this are scheduled way ahead and are usually part of an automatic ongoing schedule.

Reactions: Vanilla35
Comment

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Yay... meanwhile the rank and file are underpaid. Congratulations on all your money and success, Tim. Now move on so Apple can hire someone with charisma and vision. Hell, I can’t remember the last time I was excited for an Apple product reveal, and they used to be appointment television.
Seems like he is doing more than just fine in his job for the stockholders, and they are ultimately the ones that he is essentially there to work for.

Reactions: Vanilla35
Comment

Duane Martin

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
Wow, there are maybe three informed posts in this thread and a great deal of FUD. Of course, this being MacRumors facts are superfluous to opinion. My takeaways:

Tim Cook has always sold his stock in this manner. Nothing to be read into this sale.
Tim Cook has to apply to the SEC months in advance to sell stock like this and has little control as to where the stock will be when the time comes to sell. Nothing to read into this sale.
A large number of posters on MacRumors seem to have a vested interest in seeing Apple fail. Sorry to disappoint.

I have been a user of Apple products for almost 40 years (still have my Apple IIe) and own Apple stock. I use Apple products to make my living. That does not make me a "fanboy" though I do believe, as Tom Clancy once said, that makes me smart.

Comment

fhopper

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2007
Ks.
This is none of my business. Leave these things for regulators. No regulation crossed... no story.

Comment

MacBH928

Contributor
May 17, 2008
Apple CEO is selling Apple stock, if this is not a sign of Apple's doom I don't know what is /s

$300M as a CEO pay, sheesh, I guess I will be fine with that if he made my company worth $2T too...I get the better end of the bargain. Say, how do they just reward him 560,000 shares? Does Apple buy Apple shares in his name?

If that's the case, do you think he'd be willing to donate 2-3 million to me? It's not like he'd notice it since it's meaningless to him. 😅

Actually that is exactly the case, they just don't want. Its like you passing a homeless guy and decide not to give him a $1, you won't notice it if it dropped from you wallet but you just don't want to give it to the homeless.

Comment

sideshowuniqueuser

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2016
Inb4 someone says it takes 'courage' to sell Apple stock.
When the boss is selling, you've gotta ask yourself, does he knows something, and is he picking this to be near the peak? Or is he just in the hunt to buy a new castle in the French Riviera?

I currently see two things driving Apple stock up right now: the entire tech market is in a massive bull run; anticipation of Apple silicon Macs taking over the world. However, I do wonder if the new Macs might be an anticlimax. They could either take over the PC world, or just be meh. Will they revolutionise PCs with amazing high performance, long battery life, and low heat fan-less operation; or will they merely be a well performing, but overpriced, non-upgradeable, buggy and flawed, locked in platform, as per usual for the last 5 years? We will see soon enough!

What you really want to keep an eye on, is when Warren Buffet starts selling Apple stock. He's already been moving into cash big time, picking the top of the market in general is near, and possibly a massive bear run ahead of us, and he has a long long history of being correct.

Reactions: SSD-GUY
Comment

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
When the boss is selling, you've gotta ask yourself, does he knows something, and is he picking this to be near the peak? Or is he just in the hunt to buy a new castle in the French Riviera?
As mentioned a number of times in the thread, it's not how it really works when it comes to all of this given that all these things are scheduled well in advance and are part of a larger ongoing automatic schedule basically.

Comment

travelsheep

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2013
With a billion USD you would have no effect on climate change whatsoever.

What about One Trillion Dollar (which is by the way the title of a book by Andreas Eschbach handling exactly this subject).

One billion in ad campaigns and lobbying for veganism would go a long way, probably all the way.

Comment

Yuck9

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2014
California

Apple CEO Tim Cook was recently awarded 560,000 shares of Apple stock for serving as Apple's CEO and for Apple's strong performance under his leadership.

After receiving the award, Cook sold more than 265,000 of those shares at prices ranging from $493.50 to $500.11, netting him somewhere around $131.7 million, according to a filing published today by the SEC. The remaining 294,840 shares worth over $148 million were withheld by Apple for taxes.

As with all transactions where Apple executives sell stock, the sale was done under a Rule 10b5-1 trading plan that was adopted by Cook's trust on February 28, 2020.

Cook's stock award included 280,000 time-based RSUs and 280,000 performance-based RSUs that were based on Apple's total shareholder return relative to other companies in the S&P 500 over the three-year period from August 25, 2017 through August 24, 2020. Apple achieved a higher shareholder return than at least two-thirds of the other companies in the S&P during that time period.Cook is set to have another 700,000 of his RSUs vest on August 24, 2021, based on his original employment agreement with Apple. Cook's net worth surpassed $1 billion this year, according to estimates calculated by Bloomberg's Billionaires Index.

Apple's stock has soared past the $500 mark this week, and the company's market value has hit $2 trillion. After selling the RSUs provided this year, Cook continues to hold 837,374 shares of Apple stock worth $418 million.

Article Link: Apple CEO Tim Cook Sells $131.7 Million in Apple Stock
Tax write off. Give it to the tax man or charity. Your choice.

Comment

Baymowe335

macrumors 603
Oct 6, 2017

I currently see two things driving Apple stock up right now: the entire tech market is in a massive bull run; anticipation of Apple silicon Macs taking over the world. However, I do wonder if the new Macs might be an anticlimax. They could either take over the PC world, or just be meh. Will they revolutionise PCs with amazing high performance, long battery life, and low heat fan-less operation; or will they merely be a well performing, but overpriced, non-upgradeable, buggy and flawed, locked in platform, as per usual for the last 5 years? We will see soon enough!

What you really want to keep an eye on, is when Warren Buffet starts selling Apple stock. He's already been moving into cash big time, picking the top of the market in general is near, and possibly a massive bear run ahead of us, and he has a long long history of being correct.
So much wrong in this post.

Cook sells in the same way every year...nothing to “read into” with this sale. This transaction was scheduled, like many of the others he’s made.

Buffett’s only good stock pick lately has been AAPL. He’s been wrong on the banks, airlines, and saying AAPL was too expensive to buy more shares at $140. He’s had over $100B in cash for years, sold the airlines at the bottom, and didn’t buy anything of note in March at the bottom. The cash has been wasted at Berkshire. No dividend, no major buyback, no major deal despite many opportunities, and no major additions in buying equities. A failure.

I am long Berkshire. I also think Warren is the greatest investor of all time and Charlie is perhaps the smartest man in the world, but they are both showing age and should probably retire.

Comment

sideshowuniqueuser

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2016
So much wrong in this post.

Cook sells in the same way every year...nothing to “read into” with this sale. This transaction was scheduled, like many of the others he’s made.

Buffett’s only good stock pick lately has been AAPL. He’s been wrong on the banks, airlines, and saying AAPL was too expensive to buy more shares at $140. He’s had over $100B in cash for years, sold the airlines at the bottom, and didn’t buy anything of note in March at the bottom. The cash has been wasted at Berkshire. No dividend, no major buyback, no major deal despite many opportunities, and no major additions in buying equities. A failure.

I am long Berkshire. I also think Warren is the greatest investor of all time and Charlie is perhaps the smartest man in the world, but they are both showing age and should probably retire.
So far you are right. But if a big crash does come.......

Comment

sideshowuniqueuser

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2016
The crash did come...in March. That was a crash. The Dow dropped 11,000 points and Buffett did virtually nothing. Now he has to wait for another.
Pffft, that's not the crash, that was a highly predictable event based crash with equally predictable recovery. What I am talking about is a prolonged bear market that lasts for years. Will it happen? I don't know, but there are certainly fundamentals that don't match the current bull run. History shows that when the fundamentals cease to make sense at the end of a bull run, then the bull run often has an exuberant tail as the masses jump on the bandwagon, followed by a bear run. (This tail of the bull run is also known as the 5th wave in Elliot Wave theory, or as a bubble in mainstream terminology). I don't know, but it's clear that Warren Buffet, who is very much a fundamentals guy, has looked at the fundamentals, and has been moving into cash. Which means, as the market continues with it's tail of the bull run, he looks stupid while it continues it's run. But if he is right, the bear run will take over, and.... The fundamentals say he is right, and the market can only ignore the fundamentals for so long. There hasn't been much press about a bubble yet, but when you start reading about it regularly, you've typically got around 6 months before the crash. Personally, I think we are a way off yet, but when Warren Buffet acts, I take notice.

And yep, I know you criticised Buffet for making a lot of bad decisions, but you're talking about a man who rose from selling magazines door to door, to being worth $80B, and in the top 10 richest people in the world. All due to investments. How much have you made, to be so bold as to denigrate such a man's investment choices?

Comment

Baymowe335

macrumors 603
Oct 6, 2017
Pffft, that's not the crash, that was a highly predictable event based crash with equally predictable recovery. What I am talking about is a prolonged bear market that lasts for years. Will it happen? I don't know, but there are certainly fundamentals that don't match the current bull run. History shows that when the fundamentals cease to make sense at the end of a bull run, then the bull run often has an exuberant tail as the masses jump on the bandwagon, followed by a bear run. (This tail of the bull run is also known as the 5th wave in Elliot Wave theory, or as a bubble in mainstream terminology). I don't know, but it's clear that Warren Buffet, who is very much a fundamentals guy, has looked at the fundamentals, and has been moving into cash. Which means, as the market continues with it's tail of the bull run, he looks stupid while it continues it's run. But if he is right, the bear run will take over, and.... The fundamentals say he is right, and the market can only ignore the fundamentals for so long. There hasn't been much press about a bubble yet, but when you start reading about it regularly, you've typically got around 6 months before the crash. Personally, I think we are a way off yet, but when Warren Buffet acts, I take notice.

And yep, I know you criticised Buffet for making a lot of bad decisions, but you're talking about a man who rose from selling magazines door to door, to being worth $80B, and in the top 10 richest people in the world. All due to investments. How much have you made, to be so bold as to denigrate such a man's investment choices?
So, you don’t know, pretty much? Yeah, you and everyone else. Markets go up over time and events like March 2020 don’t just happen “all the time.” That was a precipitous drop of nearly 40%, in just about 6 weeks. That was historic. So was the climb out. Whether the 40% happens in 6 weeks or 2 years, it’s still 40%. This was arguably more painful. People were talking about Dow 10,000.

Maybe it will still happen, but it didn’t. I’m telling you what did happen and it was vicious. I was buying every single day in March and would have bought more if I had the cash. Buffett sat and watched. If it was so predictable, the greatest investor of all time should have acted, even if it was just buying more Apple. He didn’t.

Fundamentals are largely good...because earnings are largely good. Low rates mean inflation will happen and inflation means prices of everything rise, including stocks. Companies have plenty of liquidity with access to cheap money and the consumer (Target, Walmart, Amazon, Apple, etc) have proven to be resilient.

I know the Buffett story, thank you, probably better than you do. I am also long Berkshire, so I have not only tremendous respect for Buffett and Munger, but I put my money on them too. They’ve been poor investors as of late. Berkshire Has underperformed. They missed a 40% decline. They sold airlines at the bottom. Facts are facts.

Comment

Joseph Pi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2020
So in other words the Ceo had the shares split at $498.00 and every other investor in the stock watched the stock plunge $300.00. Should I copy and paste these pictures?!?!?!

Apple CEO Tim Cook was recently awarded 560,000 shares of Apple stock for serving as Apple's CEO and for Apple's strong performance under his leadership.

After receiving the award, Cook sold more than 265,000 of those shares at prices ranging from $493.50 to $500.11, netting him somewhere around $131.7 million, according to a filing published today by the SEC. The remaining 294,840 shares worth over $148 million were withheld by Apple for taxes.

As with all transactions where Apple executives sell stock, the sale was done under a Rule 10b5-1 trading plan that was adopted by Cook's trust on February 28, 2020.

Cook's stock award included 280,000 time-based RSUs and 280,000 performance-based RSUs that were based on Apple's total shareholder return relative to other companies in the S&P 500 over the three-year period from August 25, 2017 through August 24, 2020. Apple achieved a higher shareholder return than at least two-thirds of the other companies in the S&P during that time period.Cook is set to have another 700,000 of his RSUs vest on August 24, 2021, based on his original employment agreement with Apple. Cook's net worth surpassed $1 billion this year, according to estimates calculated by Bloomberg's Billionaires Index.

Apple's stock has soared past the $500 mark this week, and the company's market value has hit $2 trillion. After selling the RSUs provided this year, Cook continues to hold 837,374 shares of Apple stock worth $418 million.

Article Link: Apple CEO Tim Cook Sells $131.7 Million in Apple Stock

Comment

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
So in other words the Ceo had the shares split at $498.00 and every other investor in the stock watched the stock plunge $300.00. Should I copy and paste these pictures?!?!?!
That's not how splits work.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.