Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple CEO Tim Cook Sells $131.7 Million in Apple Stock

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
That's a HUGE sale. This makes me worry about AAPL, maybe he thinks it's overvalued.
interesting that he sold before the split goes through rather than letting it ride
This:
That's simply not true. Folks in his position have to file to sell stock MONTHS in advance and file to do so with the Securities and Exchange Commission.

Form 144 must be filed with the SEC when there's an order to sell a company's stock during any three-month period in which the sale exceeds 5,000 shares or units or has an aggregate sales price greater than $50,000.

He likely filed for this around 6 months ago. It's rather common for C-suite to sell off stock over time. And it's smart. Lets them diversify with that money and invest elsewhere. It's never smart to keep all your eggs in one basket, even if that basket is your own company.

Comment

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
timcookmoney.jpg

Comment

firewood

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
The fact that he sold those rather than waiting a year is telling. He knows the stock is at what he believes to be an all time high.
Then why did he sell his previous year's RSU? Think of all the money he lost by selling just as much 2,3,4 years ago.

No one needs 131 million to live.

No, but a vast number of grandma's do. And the percentage of AAPL held in various grandma's retirement portfolio's (directly, or via Berkshire, or various other funds) is a lot more than Cook's percentage. When Cook's RSU's go up, so does the portfolio that someone's grandma is living off of.

Comment

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
If I had 1 billion USD I would end climate change. But to each their own.
Climate change started approx 6 billion years ago when the Earth was formed and has never stopped till this very day. If you stopped climate change you would totally destroy the planet and it would end up a dead lifeless rock like our Moon or Mars.

Comment

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
That's simply not true. Folks in his position have to file to sell stock MONTHS in advance and file to do so with the Securities and Exchange Commission.

Form 144 must be filed with the SEC when there's an order to sell a company's stock during any three-month period in which the sale exceeds 5,000 shares or units or has an aggregate sales price greater than $50,000.

He likely filed for this around 6 months ago. It's rather common for C-suite to sell off stock over time. And it's smart. Lets them diversify with that money and invest elsewhere. It's never smart to keep all your eggs in one basket, even if that basket is your own company.
Also if you sell knowing that you will stock split on 6 months or with other direct future knowledge, then that's called insider trading which is highly illegal.

Comment

garylapointe

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2006
Dearborn (Detroit), MI, USA
What a jerk. Don’t believe me? Take a look at these price hikes:

Prices with years and no context doesn't define a price hike. If it's got a better screen/processor/battery/amount of storage, then it's not a price hike, it's a new product at a different price. The fact is, most years the price stays the same.

The base iPad was originally 16GB for $499, the current base iPad is $329 and has 32GB that's 33% LESS money and double the storage. It also weighs 30% less, has quadruple the pixels, and has two more cameras than the original (which had zero).

The current iPhone 11 is cheaper than it was a couple of years ago and it's only $50 more than 10 years ago. Comes with 8 times the amount of storage. And the screen is significantly bigger and better. Three cameras come with the 11, and they're light-years better than models 10 years ago.

The iPhone SE has been rereleased and negates the comment that Apple removed the cheapest phone.

Hand sanitizer that was $1 six-months ago that is now $5 is a price hike, while a bigger bottle with a higher concentration of alcohol at a higher price is NOT a price hike. Context matters.

So no, I don't believe you or your outdated article.

Reactions: Nebulance and ingik
Comment

ArPe

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2020
I’m happy for him and am sure he will do good things with the money.

The market will be volatile for the next six months as the two fraudulent parties argue like children, the election results probably delayed and wrapped in legal action, and proxy agents for both parties encourage brainless supporters to beat each other up on the streets. Extremism and voter intimidation isn’t a good look.

Comment

gnasher729

macrumors P6
Nov 25, 2005
Didn't Apple sell bonds to the Fed to help raise stock price to all time high? Interesting how he then cashed out. Nothing to see here I guess.
Do you think Tim Cook is a criminal? Because that is what you are suggesting. I'd be careful.

You can be sure that all his sales where set up six months before they happened and therefore are completely legal.

Comment

gnasher729

macrumors P6
Nov 25, 2005
If I had 1 billion USD I would end climate change. But to each their own.
With a billion USD you would have no effect on climate change whatsoever.

What about One Trillion Dollar (which is by the way the title of a book by Andreas Eschbach handling exactly this subject).

Comment

yurc

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2016
inside your DSDT
Over the past year or two I actually think many of Apple's newer products are representing a better value than the previous generation, and nearly all the iPhone, iPad, and Mac product lines have been expanded to include lower cost options. The article notes the iPad Pro price has increased since 2017, but now you have the standard iPad and iPad Air. The iPhone SE & iPhone 11 are both decently priced and still include the same chips as their flagship models. The new MacBook models are giving you more bang-for-buck, especially the base 16" MacBook Pro, and retail sales are more common than ever. The 2020 iMacs have finally done away with spinning drives and Mac SSD upgrades costs dropped last year.

There's still plenty of room for improvement in this area for Apple, but I think they've made some strides in the right direction and I hope the trend continues.

Those article forget mentioned cheese grater. Mac Pro are sold in US $3000 base configuration, with average upgrades usually it would end around $5000 range.

Now it way out of reach, $6000 for base configuration with small storage, memory, weak GPU, not including hard drive sleds, data power cable sold separately. It would usable with $9000 upgrades, but at that price I can get another workstation monster for 8K editing workflow.

In Mac Pro owner perspective I can't say it representing better value. I respect Apple for SE price, but niche market for Apple workstation space aren't worth it.

Comment

laptech

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
I can just imagine the looks on the faces of the production line workers in China when the boss gives everyone the news that they have helped to make their commander in chief richer, 3 cheers for Tim Cook..now back to work you peasants lol

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.