Apple CEO Tim Cook Spotted Testing Apple Watch-Connected Glucose Monitor

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 18, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple CEO Tim Cook has allegedly been spotted testing a prototype glucose monitor that's connected to his Apple Watch, reports CNBC. Cook, who is said to be aiming to understand how his blood sugar is affected by food and exercise, has been seen wearing the device around the Apple Campus.

Cook also mentioned the glucose monitor in a February meeting with students at the University of Glasgow. It's not clear if the device he spoke of in Glasgow is the same one he's been wearing around the Apple campus.
    Current continuous glucose monitoring systems require a small sensor that's worn under the skin to monitor glucose levels. Advanced systems from Dexcom include a transmitter, which can display glucose information directly on an iPhone or Apple Watch.

[​IMG]
    An iPhone-connected Dexcom continuous glucose monitoring system

Rumors have suggested glucose monitoring is the next major health issue Apple is aiming to tackle. The company is said to have a team of biomedical engineers working on developing sensors for non-invasively monitoring blood sugar levels. Apple is allegedly working on a continuous monitoring solution that would not require an under-skin sensor.

Apple's glucose testing is reportedly far enough along that the company has started conducting feasibility trials at clinical sites in the San Francisco Bay Area, and consultants have been hired to sort out regulatory issues.

According to a recent rumor from BGR, Apple could be planning to add a non-invasive glucose monitoring sensor to a future version of the Apple Watch, perhaps through the addition of a smart band that would add functionality to the Apple Watch without requiring the sensor to be built into the watch.

Cook has said in the past that Apple does not want to put the Apple Watch through the FDA approval process, something that would need to happen for Apple to introduce a glucose monitor, so a modular add-on smart band could be an ideal solution for adding more advanced health tracking features without subjecting the Apple Watch itself to FDA oversight.

Article Link: Apple CEO Tim Cook Spotted Testing Apple Watch-Connected Glucose Monitor

2. DragonRider macrumors newbie

3. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Medical and fitness uses are still the best use cases for the Apple Watch. It would be wonderful if one day it could also reliably detect heart problems before a heart attack.

4. itsmilo macrumors 6502a

itsmilo

So where them pics at if he was spotted with it

5. rpat701 macrumors member

Buy stock in pharma when these hit the market. 80% of all type 2 diabetes cases are undiagnosed.

6. NinjaHERO macrumors 6502a

NinjaHERO

Excited to see where this goes. I have several family members who currently use glucose monitoring machines and it would be awesome if Apple helped advance tech in that field.

7. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

Interesting to hear they are testing various methods. It will be a while, but there's no doubt it's coming for the Apple Watch eventually.

8. rp2011 macrumors 6502a

rp2011

There was a study recently of an app that can indeed do just that, and within an astronomical percentage of accuracy.

9. LordQ macrumors 68040

LordQ

This will be good. Can't wait to see what will watchOS 4 will bring to the Watch!

10. Gherkin macrumors 6502

this seems really cool if you have some medical condition where you need to monitor your glucose level.

Little worried though that otherwise healthy people will start becoming obsessive over stuff like this when it's not really necessary to be monitoring your glucose at all times.

11. BMcCoy macrumors 65816

BMcCoy

They may be trying to avoid FDA on the watch, but any glucose monitoring 'device', even if built within a strap, will need some serious regulatory approvals, trials and evidence before it could be used for medical purposes.

And I hope they're doing that, because this is really exciting.

12. djcerla macrumors 65816

djcerla

This breakthrough will translate in hundreds of millions of Watches (and iPhones) sold.

13. OldSchoolMacGuy macrumors 68030

OldSchoolMacGuy

Makes it clear that glucose monitoring will NOT be build into the next Apple Watch.

14. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Just to nit-pick... it can be worn anywhere. Since it's invasive, it needs to be moved around regularly since the skin gets irritated and scars slightly at each insertion point.

Source: My wife, who's a diabetes educator, type II diabetic, and has worn various glucose monitors (and insulin pumps, for that matter) for much of the past decade.

15. Porco macrumors 68030

Porco

As already mentioned, many people have type 2 diabetes without knowing it. It would be a transformative thing if people could be easily alerted by their Watch that they should consult their doctors because their blood glucose levels were remaining too high. It could literally extend millions of people's lives.

Of course that would be the non-invasive kind that really makes the difference, but even the more invasive kind is a step towards that goal. Also I think there are worse things for people to obsess over than data about their own health/bodies. But sure, everything in moderation and all that.

16. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I'd read about that and the app is called Cardiogram. However, I still think it's being studied so they can't inform users of problems. Hopefully someday soon though!

17. mikecorp macrumors 6502

mikecorp

ok, great, Was he spotted with new apple watch? Iphone? Imac? Macbook pro? Ipad?

18. elvisimprsntr macrumors regular

I'm not sure I want to know how much my glucose and insulin fluctuates during the day. It might involve me giving up two of my favorite things. Beer and coffee.

M-F Coffee in the AM, beer in the PM.
    S-S The other way around.

19. masochist macrumors newbie

It would be wonderful if one day it could also reliably track my steps and my pace when I'm out for a run (... or even a brisk walk). Yes, I've done the outdoor calibration and it's still quite inaccurate.

20. jclo Editor

jclo

Staff Member

Thanks, removed that bit of text so it's clear that it can be worn anywhere.

21. falainber macrumors 6502

falainber

This would be great by do you remember Theranos?

22. Switched2aMac macrumors member

Switched2aMac

I know a person who uses the Dexcom monitoring system. Amazed how accurate it is and how it notifies them of a blood sugar drop. Pretty neat, hope the Apple Watch continues to progress in the Health/Fitness area. I have my series one and love it and can't wait to see what the future holds.

23. V.K. macrumors 6502a

V.K.

that much was clear regardless. This will require FDA approval which is a lengthy process. Apple won't want to tie Apple Watch release schedule to that. They'll offload this functionality to a watch band. whenever it's ready and approved they'll release it and it will most likely work even with the current generation Watch.

24. madbard macrumors newbie

25. zonk44 macrumors member

zonk44

I was excited to read about new Apple products from Cook that aren't just watch bands.
    But it was a delusion and ended up being just a new watch band.