Apple CEO Tim Cook Talks Accessibility With Three Accessibility Activists

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 17, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

In honor of Global Accessibility Awareness Day, which takes place tomorrow, Apple CEO Tim Cook sat down with three YouTubers to discuss the Accessibility features built into Apple's iOS and Mac devices.

Each of the three YouTubers, who met Cook at Apple's campus for coffee, have shared their conversations with the CEO on their respective YouTube channels. All three, including legally blind filmmaker James Rath, deaf advocate and vlogger Rikki Poynter, and actress Tatiana Lee, who was born with Spina Bifida, talked about the Apple products that they use in their daily lives. The three interviews can be watched below.

During his meeting with Poynter, Cook explained Apple's stance on accessibility and why the company goes to great lengths to make sure its devices are available to everyone.
    In addition to Cook's meetings, Apple also recently published a series of "Designed for" accessibility videos, highlighting the different ways Apple's Accessibility features are used to make Apple devices available to everyone, and there's currently an Accessibility feature in the App Store promoting Accessibility apps.

Since October, Apple has had a detailed Accessibility website that demonstrates and promotes the extensive Accessibility options built into Apple products.

Article Link: Apple CEO Tim Cook Talks Accessibility With Three Accessibility Activists

2. JeffyTheQuik macrumors 68020

JeffyTheQuik

I like it when Tim does these things.

"And so just like human rights are for everyone"

It's amazing, when reading the US Constitution that the Bill of Rights applies to people; I don't see the word, "citizen" in there anywhere in Amendments 1-10 and 27.

3. Buran macrumors 6502

Buran

There's no subtitles on the video about hearing impaired and deaf users... which means I can't understand it.

Good one.

(Using Tapatalk)

4. developer13245 macrumors 6502

developer13245

Go to http://www.aapd.com
    (American Association of People with Disabilities)
    Click on employment, which takes you to : http://jobs.aapd.com/jobs
    Search for Apple jobs in CA
    Find no jobs listed by Apple

Now you understand Apple does not really give a sh1z about the disabled, and just uses this garbage as part of their faux "we care" emotional marketing strategy. Period.

5. Uaaerospace2, May 17, 2017
    Last edited: May 17, 2017

Uaaerospace2 macrumors newbie

Really? Why don't you inform your "opinion" by observing or working with people who actually need and use accessibility features in tech. Spend a day or two at Accessing Higher Ground and meet people who use the features. Work with students through an office of disability services for a day or two. Then come back and share an informed opinion. Apple's tech is pretty darn good at allowing people to access content and get on with their lives. Is it perfect? No, but few things are. Apple has been a longtime provider of accessible tech and, I would guess, has done more to promote accessibility in technology than...say...you.

Your posting of the aapd job board goes to show how desperate you are to criticizee. Why would apple post there? My place of employment has many people with the sole responsibility of providing accommodations and ensuring web, etc. accessibility. There are many, many others who have the responsibility as part of our normal job because we create content. You won't find any of our jobs posted there either. So, the logical conclusion is that we don't care about accessibility? What?

6. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    I do think they do a good job on accessibility (as far as I can tell given that I don't use the features, except speech to text on the Mac, which is a godsend with PDF textbooks).

But that aside, my snarky comment: Tim couldn't think of ONE song he likes to work out to?

7. mi7chy macrumors 68040

mi7chy

Why such a long incoherent slur when all companies have to be ADA compliant?

8. Uaaerospace2 macrumors newbie

ADA doesn't say what you think it does.

9. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

given the new MacBook Pro is a Tim product, would have been nice to see these "activists" opinion on the Touch bar. From my research the accessibility feedback is not great.

10. Zirel Suspended

Zirel

What are you even talking about, he said Human Rights, of the United Nations, not Bill of Rights of the USA

http://www.un.org/en/universal-declaration-human-rights/

It might surprise you, but there are humans outside the United States of America.

11. developer13245, May 17, 2017
    Last edited: May 17, 2017

developer13245 macrumors 6502

developer13245

see:

http://www.aapd.com/disability-equality-index/

Apple is nowhere on the list, which is unacceptable for a company of their 'stature' that prattles on about how socially conscious they claim to be.

Sure, a lot of companies are not on the list, but until Apple IS on the list, they have no credibility to publish this type of emotional advertising.

Essentially, they can sell to the disabled, but do not support them as an employer.

Apple's performance in the area of disability support does not match their message.

12. /V\acpower macrumors 6502a

How about peoples who can only interact with a computer via SD Card ? Or those with the disability of not being able to ever adapt to another keyboard key travel ? And those with a violent allergy to USB C to USB A adapters ?

13. nutriousmitten macrumors regular

Ironic that "Accessibility" in another aspect of Tim Cook's role and responsibility as the head of Apple, cost someone $680k this week.

14. amegicfox macrumors 6502

amegicfox

when does this man work ? he is a wanna be politician and really bad at it too

Tim resign from Apple so can a young smart person can make Apple great again

15. christarp macrumors 6502

christarp

Jeez, Everyone here is so mad about these videos for some reason. It's a few feel good videos with real people with real disabilities and how they've had things improve for them with Apple. Can you not just be happy about something for once in your life? This is one of those feel good moments you can just sit back and watch.

16. consoleboi macrumors member

Sorry Tim, I'm not buying the Kool-Aid you're selling.

"we don't look at ROI", "we want to make Apple products accessible to everyone".

How about making it cheaper so everyone can afford it would be a good start!

17. chr1s60 macrumors 68000

chr1s60

I think it was a remark aimed at Trump because of the immigration issues as of late. People feel the need to turn everything political now.

18. -BigMac- macrumors 6502a

-BigMac-

"Everyone should have equal access"

Proceeds to increase every products base price for the last 5 years.

19. bosatsu macrumors member

bosatsu

In a couple of Apple Stores I´ve visited, some of the staff working there were having some kind of disability.
    I was given great advice on my last purchase by one of them, who happened to know everything about Apple´s products.

I was really impressed by his knowledge, he was also a really cool guy and we chatted for a long time.

20. Tech198 macrumors G4

Just to sit down with a cup of coffee with Tim is good enough

21. developer13245 macrumors 6502

developer13245

I'm very glad to hear you had a positive experience regarding this issue. I'm not spewing "Apple tosses people in wheelchairs off buildings" demagoguery. Of course Apple employees people with disabilities.

My point is that Apple does not demonstrate a reasonable level of standards based performance that is consistent with their marketing message. So they lack credibility and are just being "blow hards".

22. slowpoke macrumors regular

slowpoke

DAmn... Thats Funny as ****! Im Lolling, irl. Epic ****in joke friendo. Up voted. Thats some ****in Hilarious Humor, to me
    --- Post Merged, May 18, 2017 ---
    Hello okay but can we be about me, a Computer Man, and my feelings for just. one. moment. for the first. time ever. again. but for once. forever

23. CarlJ macrumors 68020

CarlJ

Jeez, how low can you go? The auction you refer to didn't "cost someone $680k", it wasn't a purchase of goods or services, they chose to donate a large sum of money to a charity, with the small perk of having lunch with with Tim. But anything is fair game if you get to criticize Apple, right?

24. Sheza macrumors 68000

Sheza

If you want to democratise technology maybe chop about 40% off the price, Tim.

25. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Yet buying a Windows PC and buying appropriate AT software for it would cost more than a Mac anyway, which already has those accessibility features built in.