Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple CEO Tim Cook today headed over to Oxford University for the opening of The Oxford Foundry, a new "innovation space" that's open to all University of Oxford students.

Cook was on hand to cut the ribbon at the new location, and afterwards, he sat down for a Q&A session with Oxford students alongside Oxford professors and administrators.

Because he was speaking to a group of students, Cook talked about his early life experiences, how he began to hunt for a job after leaving college, and his decision to join Apple. Early on, he said, his goal was to find a job that he loved. "I wanted to love the work I did," he said. "I no longer have that goal."
I realized the purpose of life wasn't to love your job, it was to serve humanity in a broad way. And the outcome of doing that would mean you love your job. I realized I wasn't in a place to do that, so sometime thereafter, I switched companies. [...]

It was only after joining Apple where my values and my work aligned, and that has made all the difference for me.
Cook says it wasn't an easy decision to join Apple. Everyone he talked to, his list of pluses and minuses, and his spreadsheets told him to stay where he was, but his intuition said something different, and he ended up going with intuitition. "That was one of the most important decisions of my life," he said. "Maybe the most important."

On designing products, Cook told students to "make products that you want to use" and the rest will follow.
You can bet if you love it, there are many other people out there that are going to love it too. That fundamental saying drives Apple.
Cook went on to explain that it's important to "stick close" to customers, listening to them and making yourself accessible to them. Cook said that's one of the reasons why Apple has retail stores, and it's also the reason why he gets up at "ungodly hours." "I like to spend my first hour going through customer emails," he said. "Because I want to know what they're saying. I want to know what they're feeling."

Cook said he takes inspiration from the artists, doctors, musicians, and others who use Apple products to change the world in some way. On failures, he says students just need to have faith that it will pass.
There will be times that you fail on a spectacular basis. I certainly have. You have to have the faith that it will pass. Look in the mirror and watch the person breathe. It didn't kill you. You're not dead. It's not the biggest thing in the world. It will pass. And I do that many times a day sometimes. Do that for a while and you won't have to remind yourself anymore. You'll be able to take these failures... and in fact, you'll view them not as failures but as things learned, and it won't be so detrimental.
Cook's interview, which can be watched above, also covered some of his thoughts on Steve Jobs, what he learned from working with Jobs, his view of augmented reality and the future, and his thoughts on who his heroes are.

Article Link: Apple CEO Tim Cook Talks to Students at Oxford University

HJM.NL

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2016
Netherlands
Cook should really go into politics and try to change the world. I admire his vision to change the world. But he just isn’t an technology visionary. All apple’s products are getting worse. The MacBook Pro with the touchbar disaster... I thought Apple was master in ergonomic features. You can’t blind touch the touchbar like you can with the function keys. It’s extremely exhausting looking at the touchbar, screen, touchbar, screen all the time... no good. Then there’s software... have you noticed the notifications on the iPhone X works differently than on an iPad or other iPhone? You have to swipe differently. It’s a total mess. I miss a red line in their product philosophy and software and services.

It’s time to start all over from scratch like Jobs did when he returned at Apple. He put its energy in products people really liked (iMac, iPod).

Cook understands it wrong... we want our products supercharged, not our wallets.
[doublepost=1507751791][/doublepost]
Ask hard questions.
No one ever dares to ask those hard question like why Siri, services, Apple TV etc lack so much compared to the competition and if he’s able to address that...

Why the iPhone 7 (not even the 7 plus) is more expansive in Europe than the Samsung Galaxy 8 with Amoled and better specs...

How does he think of their offerings in the emerging markets like China an India where technology is even more advanced...

Why it is taken Apple so long to refresh their paling computer lines...

What does Cook think of those premium prices... what justifies them according to Cook?

To name a few...

R740

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2015
London
A great conversation, always a joy to listen to Cook's speeches and interviews. Yet, I couldn't miss the iPhone X shining from his pocket.

Reactions: vito

Hopefully Smarter

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2016
N 42°36' 0'' / W 87°50' 0''
Good for Cook, shame it’s a British uni, these days with leftist liberalist PC idiots, tutors and students. Shrivelled examples of the great establishments they used to be.

I hope the tech centre does some good for students though.
Kind of a dopey thing to say. Maybe you need to go back to school. Oh, BTW- in case you think that protesters are some sort of ingrates:

1st Amendment to the United States Constitution:
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Bet you didn’t get around to reading that in school.

Very bad…

Bobo03

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2014
Serve humanity?

Please China do business with us, please, please, please. We don't care that you treat your citizens like ****, do business with us.

Blah blah blah.

mrzz

Suspended
Mar 25, 2017
Cook should really go into politics and try to change the world. I admire his vision to change the world. But he just isn’t an technology visionary. All apple’s products are getting worse. The MacBook Pro with the touchbar disaster... I thought Apple was master in ergonomic features. You can’t blind touch the touchbar like you can with the function keys. It’s extremely exhausting looking at the touchbar, screen, touchbar, screen all the time... no good. Then there’s software... have you noticed the notifications on the iPhone X works differently than on an iPad or other iPhone? You have to swipe differently. It’s a total mess. I miss a red line in their product philosophy and software and services.

It’s time to start all over from scratch like Jobs did when he returned at Apple. He put its energy in products people really liked (iMac, iPod).

Cook understands it wrong... we want our products supercharged, not our wallets.
[doublepost=1507751791][/doublepost]
No one ever dares to ask those hard question like why Siri, services, Apple TV etc lack so much compared to the competition and if he’s able to address that...

Why the iPhone 7 (not even the 7 plus) is more expansive in Europe than the Samsung Galaxy 8 with Amoled and better specs...

How does he think of their offerings in the emerging markets like China an India where technology is even more advanced...

Why it is taken Apple so long to refresh their paling computer lines...

What does Cook think of those premium prices... what justifies them according to Cook?

To name a few...
Totally agree. I have been patiently waiting for a worthy rMBP 2012 upgrade.. Highly disappointed so far with all the Macs. It's rather getting worse which is difficult to comprehend. I personally think the current Apple don't give a crap about our wishes, they only look at their income and talking BS how great products they make. I'm still willing to pay the current ridiculous prices, but I'm not gonna pay for something I don't like so much.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
Totally agree. I have been patiently waiting for a worthy rMBP 2012 upgrade.. Highly disappointed so far with all the Macs. It's rather getting worse which is difficult to comprehend. I personally think the current Apple don't give a crap about our wishes, they only look at their income and talking BS how great products they make. I'm still willing to pay the current ridiculous prices, but I'm not gonna pay for something I don't like so much.

Why not just move on and buy a Dell/HP/Microsoft/Lenovo/Asus/Acer/Sanyo/etc computer, which I suspect you believe is technologically superior, and find happiness?

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Why not just move on and buy a Dell/HP/Microsoft/Lenovo/Asus/Acer/Sanyo/etc computer, which I suspect you believe is technologically superior, and find happiness?

You completely miss the point/issues many longer term fans have.

As a photographer which you are , say you have invested into cannon for 20 years, all setup, and recently cannon is being overtaken by Sony in innovation, if some cannon aplogists tell you to just switch ..... missing the point much ?

How many sports team have your followed ? Many tend to stick to one .....;) how about giving the fans a bit more credit ?

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Universities and students have always been left-wing.... pretty much since the dawn of time.

But these days they remove bits of their founders from university buildings invade they offend people, and they won’t dress like Pocahontas at a fancy dress party as its offensive, she’s a cartoon character...
They have never been more worst then they are now led by their tutors and deans. It’s pretty dispicable to be frank.
[doublepost=1507755794][/doublepost]
Kind of a dopey thing to say. Maybe you need to go back to school. Oh, BTW- in case you think that protesters are some sort of ingrates:

1st Amendment to the United States Constitution:
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Bet you didn’t get around to reading that in school.

Very bad…

You know you are absolutely right, I NEVER READ THAT, I wonder if it has something to do with the fact I’m British and have lived in England all my life.....:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Funny that... I think you entirely missed the point of this article and my post.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Good to see tech CEOs doing these university tours, it inspires the students.

Lucky he choose and up and coming university to inspire the students that are not already setup for life ;) these oxford students might defy the odds and make something of themselves....
[doublepost=1507756204][/doublepost]
Serve humanity?

Please China do business with us, please, please, please. We don't care that you treat your citizens like ****, do business with us.

Blah blah blah.

Ummm in all Due Respect, Tim only preaches to the Western countries.

Is just by pure bad luck, and his hungry dog , that he forgets these speeches when visiting counties that make his products from cheap labour....BAD LUCK !

Reactions: HJM.NL and apolloa

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
You completely miss the point/issues many longer term fans have.

As a photographer which you are , say you have invested into cannon for 20 years, all setup, and recently cannon is being overtaken by Sony in innovation, if some cannon aplogists tell you to just switch ..... missing the point much ?

How many sports team have your followed ? Many tend to stick to one .....;) how about giving the fans a bit more credit ?

I think you're missing the point.

I'm not married to any particular brand, especially with cameras and other tech. They're simply tools, and don't drive or inspire my creativity. If they did, or had lust-worty attributes, that would be different. I have no use for apologists, but I do respect those who can go beyond complaining when there are better solutions out there to be had and simply switch and move on.

Sorry, I just can't get behind the notion of being a fan of corporation, though there are aspects I appreciate and can get behind. They either make what you need, or you seek superior solutions. And those superior solutions are likely out there for one's particular needs. Spinning wheels and complaining is a time and creativity sink. Vote with your wallet.

Currently Apple is producing what I need, and doing so in a way where it-just-works seamless integration over devices categories is huge for me. Super pleased with my 2017 MBP. If I wasn't I'd quickly get something else. Life is too short, and I don't have time for inferior products getting in the way to getting things done.

Reactions: CB1234 and HenryDJP
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.