Apple CEO Tim Cook to Deliver 2019 Commencement Speech at Stanford

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 21, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple CEO Tim Cook is set to deliver Stanford's 2019 commencement speech on Sunday, June 16, the university announced today.

Stanford chose Cook because he has been a "prominent voice on ethics in technologies and businesses," with insights into the challenges facing corporations and society today.

[​IMG]

According to Stanford, the issues that Cook has raised "dovetail" with the Stanford "Our Vision" planning process which advocates for research on the social and ethical impact of advances in science and tech and makes sure students have the tools to "address societal and ethical impacts of science and technology."
    Cook said that he was honored to be invited to deliver the commencement address at Stanford.
    Cook will also be delivering the keynote address to Tulane graduates at the university's 2019 commencement event, which is set to take place on May 18.

In the past, Cook has given commencement addresses at several universities, including his alma mater Auburn University, Duke University, George Washington University, and MIT.

Article Link: Apple CEO Tim Cook to Deliver 2019 Commencement Speech at Stanford

2. I7guy macrumors Core

I7guy

TC is making the rounds, he is an in-demand CEO. Good for him.

3. martyjmclean macrumors 6502

martyjmclean

4. DocMultimedia macrumors 6502a

DocMultimedia

He gets invited to multiple universities. He's respected. But it's really hard to forget the Steve Jobs speech. One of my all time favorites. :)

5. Naraxus, Feb 21, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2019

Naraxus macrumors 6502a

Naraxus

6. koruki, Feb 21, 2019

koruki macrumors 65816

koruki

Ooh damn this is going to be a hard act to follow after Steve, I hope he knows he can do no right in 2019 lol. No matter what he says people will ask for a new CEO even though this isn't an Apple event

7. RickInHouston macrumors 65816

8. bladerunner2000 macrumors 68020

bladerunner2000

Whether he's wasting time giving speeches or actually working on Apple products, this guy's contributions are useless either way. Nothing of what he's done has made Apple products better. Dude may as well give speeches every day.

9. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Fortunately, the unrealistic snide comments on the internet are not an accurate representation of Cook. To me, it’s a privilege to have someone like Cook be invited to speak to new graduates, even if his speech doesn’t resonate with everyone, his view-points could reach just one person to make a difference on how they view their career path.

10. Jbusick7944 macrumors regular

11. apolloa macrumors G4

I think the Apple Watch 4 is pretty good no?

12. C DM, Feb 21, 2019

C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

Yup, there's basically almost no one using and enjoying Apple products for close to a decade now.

13. crescentmoon macrumors regular

crescentmoon

Seems like the right fit... Stanford has become a business school... I didn't say that but someone I know who headed up SLAC....

14. partydorm macrumors member

partydorm

Tim: Ban that Galaxy Fold like we did to Huawei's 5G, otherwise we'll be so behind $$$$$

15. peachpup macrumors newbie

Glad he's getting the PR and therefore for Apple too. But TC is boring as hell to listen to. :)

16. AngerDanger, Feb 21, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2019

AngerDanger macrumors 601

AngerDanger

Seems like it’s really hard to get a good portrait photo of Tim. This article has the best case scenario; Tim squinting as he's looking off as though turned away from an explosion.

[​IMG]
    Explosion courtesy of BlinkFarm

17. Greymacuser macrumors 6502

Greymacuser

I believe the speech will go a little something like this...
    Timmy Kook- "Graduates...I'll 'curate' you off the net if I don't like what you have to say. Now give me all of your money. I have emojis to make."

18. mikethemartian macrumors 6502

The Steve Jobs commencement address was for my graduating class at Stanford. But I was too stupid to be there. I only needed one more credit in my last quarter so I completed it online from my home state of Florida. If I would have known that he was the speaker I would have flown back to CA for it. I only learned about the address when he passed away in 2011.

19. ThomasJL, Feb 21, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2019

ThomasJL macrumors 6502a

“Stay Non-Hungry. Stay Non-Foolish.”

20. john123 macrumors 68020

john123

Stanford HAS a business school. That doesn’t mean Stanford IS a business school.

21. Baymowe335 macrumors 601

Such a sad, ridiculous take that ignores so many facts.

22. john123 macrumors 68020

john123

Don't feel bad. My graduation year was different, but instead of going to commencement, I slept in one last time at my place in Escondido Village. Talk about lazy! :D

23. swingerofbirch macrumors 68040

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    *Bobby Kennedy
    *MLK, Jr.
    *Steve Jobs
    *DNA
    *North Star
    *Privacy

Boom, you've been graduated!

24. Isabella Lew Suspended

Isabella Lew

My point of view that Apple CEO Tim Cook gives not a good Lecture it was a boring day for that students:eek:

25. calzon65 macrumors 6502a

calzon65

Maybe this is good to get Tim out of the office so others can fix the problems.