Apple CEO Tim Cook Tweets in Honor of Memorial Day

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MacRumors, May 29, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple CEO Tim Cook has shared a brief message on Twitter in honor of Memorial Day, a federal holiday in the United States for remembering those who have died in the country's armed forces.

[​IMG]

"We honor the heroes who gave their lives for our freedom," he said. "They and their families have our eternal gratitude."

Apple gives many of its corporate employees in Cupertino the day off today, but a number of Apple retail stores remain open. U.S. stock markets are also closed today. Apple closed at $153.61 on Friday.

Note: Due to the political nature of the discussion regarding this topic, the discussion thread is located in our Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum. All forum members and site visitors are welcome to read and follow the thread, but posting is limited to forum members with at least 100 posts.

Article Link: Apple CEO Tim Cook Tweets in Honor of Memorial Day

2. AmazingHenry macrumors 65816

AmazingHenry

3. Sunny1990, May 29, 2017
    Last edited: May 29, 2017

Sunny1990 Suspended

Sunny1990

My salute to those who gave their lives for our freedom :- Well done Tim Cook!!.But Now better focus on "technology"

4. bbnck macrumors 6502

5. nvmls macrumors regular

nvmls

6. AmazingHenry macrumors 65816

AmazingHenry

7. jasonklee macrumors 6502a

jasonklee

Tim, you want to honor freedom? How about paying your overdue taxes and corroborating with government agencies tasked with the responsibility of protecting us from terror.

8. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

It seems like a large percentage of North Americans care neither for privacy nor freedom.

9. Zirel, May 29, 2017
    Last edited: May 29, 2017

Zirel Suspended

Zirel

Apple doesn't have any overdue taxes.

This pseudo-argument doesn't work.

In fact, it's Denmark and their lefty agitators that need to pay their NATO bill.

10. satchmo macrumors 68000

To be fair, it is a holiday in the US, and likely a dearth of news.

11. mikecorp macrumors 6502

mikecorp

I hate when macrumors tweets a tweet. Get a grip ... :eek:

12. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

I think "corroborating" doesn't mean what you think it means. As far as cooperating is concerned, the NSA (who should know best of all US agencies) has said repeatedly that breaking people's security is overall damaging to national security. And then they proved the point by not being able to keep their own exploits out of the hand of hackers, who among others attacked the British health service. Using exploits stolen from the NSA.

13. Porco macrumors 68030

Porco

I'm not even American, and frequently have philosophical differences with US foreign policy from the politicians, but I have the utmost respect for anyone who is willing to risk (and sadly in many cases lose) their lives defending the freedom and security of others.

So well said Tim Cook, and I'd urge people here to just pause and consider whether posting a snarky comment this time is maybe just that one time too many.... ?

I echo Cook's thoughts and my heart and respect goes out to anyone who has lost someone making the ultimate sacrifice for the noblest of reasons, just as the UK commemorates fallen heroes in a similar fashion at other times.

14. donlab macrumors 6502

donlab

Apple does both whats the problem?

15. nt5672 macrumors 65816

But tweeting a tweet has become a mainstay method of reporting for the major media outlets. Don't see any reason why MacRumors would be any different?

16. gpat macrumors 6502a

Just become a politician. Defend whatever ideas you want, dear Tim, and tweet from devices marketed from somebody who actually cares about the job.

17. Attirex macrumors 6502

Oh, boy. This thread is going to be veritable sh*t show of hate. :D

Happy Memorial Day, MR Forums! XOXOXO (blows kisses)

18. diipii macrumors 6502a

Spot on. And makes me wonder who actually runs this site. Maybe Macrumors would clarify.

19. macTW Suspended

"Overdue" yet legally has paid in full...

20. otternonsense macrumors 6502a

otternonsense

Imagine if Cook was as committed to his CEO/technologist role as with his virtue signalling publicity chase.

21. blackcrayon macrumors 68000

Yeah, if he were Apple might be the most valuable company in the world.

22. Dranix macrumors 6502a

Dranix

When, after the war of independence, has the us military defended the freedom of the us? The us freedom was never at danger in any of the following wars...

23. santaliqueur macrumors 6502a

Apple pays all the taxes they owe. Don't like it? Change the system. Every company does it. Even you do it when you claim deductions.

24. JosephAW macrumors 65816

JosephAW

Yes they died for our freedom to do what is right, not for what we want.

25. Speechless macrumors 6502

..what the hell is the matter with you people? Is life that empty for you?

It's a very important and special holiday in America - in which he is a citizen. Insane that a freaking holiday remembering troops who gave their life for their country would evoke such immature responses from people who have nothing better to do today (and are probably from another country).

Happy Memorial Day, Macrumors staff. Thank you for posting about it.