Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

During today's earnings call covering the second fiscal quarter of 2021, Apple CEO Tim Cook was asked about Apple TV+ and whether he would provide details on how many paid subscribers the service has.

Apple-TV-Ray-Light-2-Purple.jpg

Cook declined to provide specific numbers, but he said that Apple TV+ is going "very well" and that Apple feels "really good" about where Apple TV+ is at.
TV+ is going very well, as you know the objective and philosophy of Apple TV+ is to create high-quality original content and to be one of the most desired platforms for storytellers. I see that happening day by day, we have more shows, more storytellers.

To date, Apple originals have received 352 award nominations and 98 wins. We have shows that have gotten significant buzz like Ted Lasso, The Morning Show, Defending Jacob, etc. We feel really good about where we are. We're not releasing subscriber numbers.
It's likely that Apple TV+ paid subscriber numbers are quite low as Apple has continually extended its free trial offerings, and is also reimbursing those who do not have a free trial at this time. Apple is currently offering a free trial to those who purchased an Apple device until July 2021.

Cook was also asked if Apple had plans to raise the prices of any of its services, and he said he had nothing to announce. "We try to give customers a great value," he said.

Article Link: Apple CEO Tim Cook: We Feel 'Really Good About Where We Are' With Apple TV+

• Haha
Reactions: decypher44 and Ar40

Think|Different

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2021
As they should be — they’re sticking with quality over quantity and it is working.
The price (no, whether you are getting it subsidized right now is not the poin’t) aligns with this. Meanwhile, I’m paying more and more (and extra) from some to even get 4K content in 2021. There is absolutely something for everyone and they keep adding more and more value for, again, a very reasonable price.

Comment

phr0z3n

macrumors regular
May 15, 2011
Wichita, KS
The Servant seems pretty good, but I don’t know where it’s all headed; I’m still on Season 2.

I think For All Mankind is pretty great.

Outside of that, not much has piqued my interest. It’s going to take them a few years to get a lot of good content to sink your teeth in to.

Comment

Think|Different

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2021
I am disappointed in it. I loved the content, but they need to release MORE. and SEASON 2 of the shows??? Pathetic supply.
Covid (inconveniently) delayed the sophmore seasons of their whole slate. So you “loved the content” but your disappointed in that? Come on. They are cranking now and have been for months as Hollywood has been picking up.

Comment

zorinlynx

macrumors 604
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I'm going to be fair, I've been enjoying ATV+. For All Mankind was amazing. So was Wolfwalkers.

But that's just it. That's all I've been watching on it, and I've not been paying for it; it's still free for me until sometime in July. And I don't know if I will pay or not. We'll have to see.

Comment

now i see it

macrumors 604
Jan 2, 2002
People who consume streaming content want (demand) to binge and binge hard. It's going to take several years of chipping away making good content until they've got enough food to feed the masses

Comment

DocMultimedia

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2012
Charlottesville, VA
I really enjoy almost everything, but the content is still extremely limited. But the Apple One thing will make it ok IMO. I'm still on the free extended year of ATV+.

Reactions: Ar40
Comment

antonypg

macrumors member
May 8, 2008
I've been enjoying all of the Apple TV+ material. I highly recommend See, it is a bit slow paced at first but is brilliant by the end. Servant was really great, completely different to any other program. Mythic Quest is very funny. Next I will start to watch Ted Lasso, and I am really looking forward to Foundation.

Comment

Feyl

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2013
Czech Republic
I'm glad that I have TV+ for free, but when the free period ends I won't pay for it probably. The only show I love is the brilliant For All Mankind. It's a really fantastic show and I think it's a shame that it's not the most watched show on there. If the season 3 will be as good as the previous seasons I'd might consider subscribing until the season will be over.

Comment

EmpyreanUK

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2011
As somebody who is not American, most of what I’ve seen on Apple TV+ seems to me to be tailored to American tastes (which is of course understandable from an American company, and given that America is the biggest market). I’m probably wrong about this, but it’s how the content comes across to me. For example, I found Ted Lasso to be unwatchable, but Americans seem to love it.

I liked Tehran, and The Servant was interesting (although I got the impression the second series was just filler to stretch it to a third series), but everything else I’ve watched on it — quite a lot of the Morning Show, Saving Jacob(?), the podcasting one starring Jesse Pinkman, probably others — is absolute garbage (in my opinion).

I really think Apple have an uphill battle with this service, as without buying-in a back-catalogue, the offering is anaemic even if you like what’s on there. There are two films I‘ve watched on Apple TV+ that were really good, but this underscores my point — as far as I know, the rights to most/all of the films on Apple TV+ have been purchased post-facto, rather than commissioned by Apple.

I’ve seen John Gruber describe it as the ‘new HBO’, with it allegedly focussing on quality over quantity, but I don’t see this as a helpful comparison. HBO grew up in a different age, and had an entirely set of market circumstances. A streaming service on a rolling monthly subscription needs volume.

I accepted the one-year trial so I could watch Greyhound, but there’s not a chance I’d pay for the rest of the service.

Comment

Thunderstrike76

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2012
you do know a worldwide pandemic shut down all the movie studios, right??? That meant all production stopped for a long while and is just getting back to full swing.
Thank you!!! I don’t get why people don’t understand this. I’ve attached a link to a post on Reddit. Someone did a good job of showing their current summer release schedule and I think they may be well on their way of having a new release every Friday this summer June through August. I look forward to it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/tvPlus/comments/n06009

Comment

BGPL

macrumors demi-god
May 4, 2016
California
Um, really? Tim must be out of touch with the viewers. I mean, as the CEO he can't say anything contrary to this, which is, they are getting owned by every other streaming service, including Paramount. I kept Hulu over Apple... enough said.

HBO Max - Killing it for movie lovers.

Comment

Thunderstrike76

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2012
As somebody who is not American, most of what I’ve seen on Apple TV+ seems to me to be tailored to American tastes (which is of course understandable from an American company, and given that America is the biggest market). I’m probably wrong about this, but it’s how the content comes across to me. For example, I found Ted Lasso to be unwatchable, but Americans seem to love it.

I liked Tehran, and The Servant was interesting (although I got the impression the second series was just filler to stretch it to a third series), but everything else I’ve watched on it — quite a lot of the Morning Show, Saving Jacob(?), the podcasting one starring Jesse Pinkman, probably others — is absolute garbage (in my opinion).

I really think Apple have an uphill battle with this service, as without buying-in a back-catalogue, the offering is anaemic even if you like what’s on there. There are two films I‘ve watched on Apple TV+ that were really good, but this underscores my point — as far as I know, the rights to most/all of the films on Apple TV+ have been purchased post-facto, rather than commissioned by Apple.

I’ve seen John Gruber describe it as the ‘new HBO’, with it allegedly focussing on quality over quantity, but I don’t see this as a helpful comparison. HBO grew up in a different age, and had an entirely set of market circumstances. A streaming service on a rolling monthly subscription needs volume.

I accepted the one-year trial so I could watch Greyhound, but there’s not a chance I’d pay for the rest of the service.
Just curious what you didn’t like about Ted Lasso. The writing staff is half American and half English. Was it the writing or just it felt too American and Unrelatable? Too each their own though.

• Love
Reactions: Alan Wynn and Ar40
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.