Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cosmosent

macrumors 68020
Apr 20, 2016
La Jolla, CA
This time last year (+ a few days) AAPL had been trading under $193/share !

So Tim was worth ~$430M USD about one year ago !

Is AAPL worth what it's trading at today ?

NO WAY !

It's where it is simply because it's a Safe Stock in a Challenging Environment.

Driven up by the Fed's $600 USD per week supplemental UI to those who got it.

AAPL's true value is probably under $300/share.

The music will stop at some point, & everyone will try to take a seat.

NOT all will get one !

BTW, AAPL has never once had a surge in iPhone sales due to a technology.

The first was with the iPhone 6 family, & that was due to a Form Factor change to BIGGER iPhones !

The second was due to the Uber-hyped iPhone X.

Ives has NO clue !

5G iPhones, in this (Poor) Economic Climate, will have NO special impact !

Wall Street Earnings have been driven by cost cutting, NOT increases in Top Line growth !

That ONLY works in the short term !

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
This time last year (+ a few days) AAPL had been trading under $193/share !

So Tim was worth ~$430M USD about one year ago !

Is AAPL worth what it's trading at today ?

NO WAY !

It's where it is simply because it's a Safe Stock in a Challenging Environment.

Driven up by the Fed's $600 USD per week supplemental UI to those who got it.

AAPL's true value is probably under $300/share.

The music will stop at some point, & everyone will try to take a seat.

NOT all will get one !

BTW, AAPL has never once had a surge in iPhone sales due to a technology.

The first was with the iPhone 6 family, & that was due to a Form Factor change to BIGGER iPhones !

The second was due to the Uber-hyped iPhone X.

Ives has NO clue !

5G iPhones, in this (Poor) Economic Climate, will have NO special impact !

Wall Street Earnings have been driven by cost cutting, NOT increases in Top Line growth !

That ONLY works in the short term !
And alternate revenue streams.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
So many of you are conflating net worth with annual salary. He's not getting paid a billion dollars a year.

Tim Cook's salary is $3 million. Even with his generous bonuses I really doubt he is paid "4000 million times" more than anyone commenting here, unless you have an annual income in the fractions of a cent.

He was given stock options, and those options rose in value due to the market. Apple didn't pay him a billion dollars. Just like if the market falls and Apple is worth 50% less tomorrow, it's not Apple taking "pay" away from Cook.

Last edited:

Naraxus

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2016
Sadly all anyone will see are the dollar signs. Never mind that the soul of Apple is long gone, what made Apple what it was, despite the platitudes....

It's all about $$$

Reactions: imageWIS

mlrproducts

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2004
The best thing that happened for Apple retail was when they couldn’t stop buying American apparel shirts and start buying cheaper “made in China” shirts under the notion of supporting worldwide labor.

Reactions: NMBob

wood1208

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2015
Apple in some way part of our daily life. More power to Apple's stock moving up, good for Tim and others owning Apple stock.

uk-guy

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2009
1billion+? Is he single? I think I want to become his lover/companion. Tim: message me! Xxxxx /s
Tim is very much about users' privacy as he is with his own. He is gay and has a long time partner. Not sure if they are married or not so you're S*** out of luck there.

To everyone else's comments almost all of us can't even imagine ever having a couple of $M just sitting in the bank. Let alone what you could do with $100M? How do you spend it? Can we justify the inequality of wealth when he stands for equality? There's a lot of mixed feelings out there.

Apple prides itself on using recycled materials and recycling old products (supposedly by showing us a fancy robot taking apart an iPhone). But if your MacBook Pro keyboard fails then why to you have to replace the top case, trackpad and super-glued in battery as well making repairs unnecessarily expensive to the user as well as not being so environmentally friendly?

Apple make great products and is targeting carbon neutrality. Not the only company that sells laptops in excess of $3000. My main wishes are;
1) keep OS compatibility back a couple of years on new products OR
2) stop the annual macOS upgrades, allow OSs to mature for a few years (remember Tiger and Snow Leopard)
3) stop using proprietary connectors and use standard PCIe SSDs (licensing to OWC for after market SSD upgrades is still too expensive)

cbaca51

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2016
Cali
idc what anyone says, Tim seems like a good dude. Doesn’t seem like the money has got to his head.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
idc what anyone says, Tim seems like a good dude. Doesn’t seem like the money has got to his head.

You have to wonder if after a certain point, any extra money just because a number in your bank account if you are not going to spend it.

InGen

Suspended
Jun 22, 2020
more power to Apple, more power to Cook, and most importantly more power to the decision makers at Apple to elect someone as equally capable as Jobs and Cook to take the batton after Cook is gone and lead Apple into the next century with the same purpose and vision. The greatest buildings had the strongest foundations and took the longest to be built solid stone by solid stone. Every other companyare different variation of modern buildings, some built stronger than others, but Apple is the Giza pyramids of companies, stone by stone slowly they and we (as supporters) are building something that will exist 5,000, 10k+ years into the future.

Last edited by a moderator:

amartinez1660

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2014
I am procapitalist with a social safety net, but I cannot understand any amount of logic that would say that Tim Cook is worth it or is under 4000 million times more stressed than I am, or works 4000 000 000 times more than I do - or than his office cleaning staff...

He is smart and competent although I disagree with the number of his decisions, but we have to face the fact that a lot of it is just luck and the leverage/network effect that a hyper-globalised economy gives.
Agreed with the luck part playing a huge role, also being ready with all the tools, knowledge, social and technical skills for when such luck moments show up.

However I did take a pause on the “working hard part”, ultimately I disagree. Let’s take a extreme example: let’s suppose I currently work 8 hrs a day, I’m going to start working now 24hrs/day and survive it, just to at least work 3x more than most and gain an edge.
Yet the “work” I do is breaking windows without purpose, wasting water and electricity, and make funny faces to people on the streets... ignoring the legality of some of those actions, it does take time and effort. Heck I’m even losing sleep working so hard at it, I’ll be more stressed and lose health faster than the average starting clerk at store. Society and its system as a whole WILL value more the clerk’s work and that person will make a lot more money with less than a 1/3rd of the time, effort and risks. Me I would probably be sweeped out or get killed by a health complication in a short time (barring any mutation like a sudden YouTube rise to fame as a prankster or something).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.