Apple changed it's strategy with the new iPod touch 4th gen

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by GoodBoy, Sep 8, 2010.

1. GoodBoy macrumors 6502

Apple strategy has changed, but only this year. Try remember touch vs iPhone differentiation over the last generations. Let's compare touch 3rd gen vs iPhone 3gs. Aside from the obvious lack of camera and gsm modules, there was nothing inferior in iPod touch to the iPhone 3GS. Same screen, same amount of ram, same processor, same operating speed. It was even reported touch was a tad snappier and more responsive than the iPhone!

Now back to iPod 4gen vs iPhone 4 seems like the situation changed entirely. Starting today, as we all know the full specs of the new touch, it is no longer "an iPhone without a phone", it's much more inferior than every iPod touch generation was ever before. Practically every single part is worse than iPhones (screen, ram, camera). In my opinion it is the begining of the new Apple's strategy in iOS product differentiation.

Question is why Apple changed it's strategy? Maybe in the past years too many people opted for an iPod touch as it was a nice "an almost iPhone" device with the lack of camera/GSM, so this year Apple made a more obvious choice for them, releasing an iPod device far more inferior than the iPhone. I fear that from now on each new iPod touch generation is going to be more and more worse than new iPhones.

2. Old Blue macrumors member

Thanks for caring - I'll send you a Xmas card via the dead horse you keep beating...

3. fswmacguy macrumors 6502

fswmacguy

The strategy has not changed.

Apple added to the new iPod touch, they didn't remove anything.

The reason behind the 256MB RAM (vs 512MB in the iPhone) is simply cost-related.

There's no way they could have stuck half a gig of RAM into a device, added the other new features and said "We know this is almost equivalent to a $600 device, but you can have it for $200!" That just wouldn't happen and it's silly to believe it could.

It's asking a little much to have a pocket computer with two cameras and a high pixel density display for $99, isn't it?

4. MicroByte macrumors 6502

I LOL'd...

Seriously, if the product line is in that much of decline to you, move on. You've already "tore" the new iPod Touch a new one in the other threads, we get it, you are disappointed, sorry to hear that it did not live up to your own expectations!

Instead of rehashing the same arguments over and over here, why not send a constructive email/letter to Apple or Steve Jobs expressing your dissatisfaction to their inferior product.

5. GoodBoy thread starter macrumors 6502

But it's more inferior than previus iPod touch gen was to the iPhone 3GS. How can you explain this?

Of course it is. Apple is just trying to make more money. Last year's generation had exactly the same amount of ram as iPhone 3GS. Prices were the same for both devices as they are now for the touch and iphone. It was possible not to cut ram because of production cost. Why wasn't it possible with the current generation?

99$?

6. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

I don't disagree about the addition of the camera might've affected the RAM amount,etc, but your assertion about the screen is wrong. It seems the iPhone got the better screen (presumably higher quality panel) than the iPod's whenever possible even if when they were using the same technology: http://gizmodo.com/299774/tested-iphone-screen-better-than-the-ipod-touch-screen

Besides, let's not forget the iPad also got only 256 MB RAM. So that might have something to do with it as well. And the operating speed will not likely differ than much between the iPad, iPod Touch and the iPhone.

7. GoodBoy thread starter macrumors 6502

It's the iPod touch 1gen vs iPhone 1st gen you're talking about. It was a known issue with defective iPods screens. Also some amounts of iPhones were defective. iPod touch 2/3gen had exactly the same quality screen as the iPhone 3G/3GS.

Maybe, but it only proves an iPhone 4 is a more premium device than ever, compared to previous iPod touches vs iPhones.

8. Bleak macrumors member

I live in Canada and we can get unlocked iphones, so apples strategy works alot better here where you can buy an iphone for $699 and use a $20/month plan rather than getting shoved into a $60 data plan.

You can opt for the 299$ ipod touch, or you can get a 699$ iphone (both 32gb). Do you really expect to get the same features as a $700 phone for just $300? For $400 you get:
    - Slightly better screen
    - Ability to use it as a phone
    - GPS
    - A bit more ram (which is needed for the phone part)
    - Better Camera

If that is worth $400 to you, then get the iphone, if not, ipod touch will suit you just fine!

9. GoodBoy thread starter macrumors 6502

@Bleak
    I get your point, you're absolutely right. Problem is the situation was different last year with the iPod touch 3rd gen vs iPhone 3GS. Price gap was the same between them, but the iPod was lacking only camera and GSM modules, so essentialy people had to pay a few houndred bucks more for just this two features, because the rest was the same as in the iPod touch. Now it is much more different as these two current gens devices differ significantly in many more aspects. That's why I think the Apple's strategy has changed.

10. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

I very much doubt that. Most of the Apple fans buy devices based on feature lists, not unspecified RAM amount published online. I think it's more realistic to think Apple did this to hit a certain price point to maintain the profit margin and it makes sense too when you consider the iPad uses the same processor and the RAM configuration.

11. hcho3 macrumors 68030

You always leave a room for an improvement. If apple did all of those things like you mentioned, then less people will buy next ipod touch. Also, it is cost related.
    Apple had to cut costs from somewhere.

12. GoodBoy thread starter macrumors 6502

To me it's very simple. Last year you were paying 400$ more for the camera and GSM, if you wanted the iPhone. If you wanted everything iPhone minus the camera/GSM, there was an iPod touch 3rd gen for 299$. This year it is no longer like that between iPod touch 4gen and an iPhone 4.

Is it really that hard to understand?

13. kyts macrumors newbie

Im gonna say no to this i feel if you take a good look at it the ipod touch and iphone are still the same just both have minor changes which are accounted for the fact that the ipod touch is so much thinner an the price is so much cheaper as well. For Example the new touch has retina display but no ips, WHO CARES ABOUT WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE FROM THE SIDE! I mean come on. I can see the point in not adding a hi def camera for photos, your getting to much for to cheap. So i dont think the gameplan has changed

14. burgundyyears macrumors 6502

No, I think you need to post another thread about this. We just don't get it!

15. GoodBoy thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, thankfully, you are not "we", but nice try in making your post more valuable... You're only saying for yourself, sorry ;)

16. Old Blue macrumors member

Actually he's speaking for me as well and I imagine quite a few others - and that's more than one - therefore the word 'we' is good to go ;)

Or has the policy on the use of 'we' changed - I guess if it has, you would make a new thread...

17. MicroByte macrumors 6502

Count me in the we part, I've actually lost where you are going with all of your negativity.

Tell me if this sums it up - you are not satisfied with the product and feel that Apple has broken the supposed "parallel" release updates between the iPod Touch and the iPhone, and this has jaded you.

My question is this - you have voiced your opinion, and that's great, but what do you hope to accomplish with the ranting? I'm glad that you helped educate everyone on the limitations or short comings of the new iPod Touch, people need to see that, but after so much, it's getting... old.

As I mentioned before, why not take some of this hostility and provide your feedback directly to Apple. You might be one voice, but I know there are other people that have to be dissatisfied with the new model, let Apple know about it.

Another question. Let's say that the iPod Touch 4G was TRULY up to your standards - had IPS, 512MB RAM, same camera specs as the iPhone 4, would you have bought one?

18. GoodBoy thread starter macrumors 6502

@MicroByte
    What's your problem? I can imagine many more people by my side too. There were at least a few in several top threads in iPod touch section. Really, if you don't see the point (and you may not, it's your choice), take my advice and do not post here.. problem solved haha! :) Otherwise, you're just trolling, adding nothing more but a bunch of useless comments.

I'm probably buying new touch anyways. I mean I'm still deciding between 4gen and 3gen at a bargain price, we'll see. And this has nothing to do with my opinion about Apple strategy. This new strategy sucks, but it is what it is. I'm curious how it develops in the future. I guess Apple needs more competition, that way Apple may and eventually will change it's strategy :)

To spice up the topic, I'm posting the recent Bloomberg article about Apples pricing strategy http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38980367

19. redking31591 macrumors 6502

That MSNBC article is utter bullcrap. it says that the $229 is an inferior device that cost $30 more than the much better iPhone 4. It fails however to take into account the $2000+ contract that you MUST have. because it ignores this, the logic of the whole piece can be thrown out.

20. hcho3 macrumors 68030

As far as apple strategy concerned, I don't think it has been changed at all. I don't think it will ever change. Leave a room for upgrade... Cut the costs.

21. MicroByte macrumors 6502

Did you even read my post, did I attack you in any way, how am I trolling? I stated that you made your point and it is VERY obvious that you are unhappy with the iPod Touch 4G. Can you not be so defensive and actually take some criticism if you are willing to deal it out?

My point is that you've made your argument (in several posts) and I was simply telling you to direct it at someone who could actually do something about it - Apple.

I also agreed with you on the fact that you are not alone in your opinions, that is obvious.

Funny how anyone who has a difference of opinion with someone else on a forum is automatically cast off as a "troll". (and for reference, I have not called you a troll, you are entitled to your opinion).

22. vanzantapple macrumors 6502

vanzantapple

The difference between the two devices are definitely growing. Even though SJ said the now famous line "iPhone without the contract" it clearly is NOT. Why is it so bad to admit that it doesn't have a Retina Display. The screen that it has looks great to me. It doesn't bother me that it isn't a Retina, just that people still want to call it that.

I have an idea. Let's get Apple to define Retina Display so that this BS doesn't happen again. Fat chance. LOL.

Does that mean I hate Apple? no
    Does that mean I don't want an iPod Touch? NO. I want one pretty bad.
    Does that mean I hate SJ? I'm on the fence. Salesmen, liars, and people who grossly mislead for profit pi$$ me off.

23. EJR macrumors member

Yeah, the Ipod Touch isn't an iPhone. Do I care? Not really. It's the cheapest way to get into the iOS market without shelling out for an expensive contract phone. If you want the features of an iPhone, go buy the iPhone. Apple is a for-profit company, and this is the business model that they have chosen to adapt. If they really wanted to be jerks about the whole thing, they could have limited iOS to just the iPhone, at which point our conversation right now would be useless.

24. ecschwarz macrumors 6502a

ecschwarz

It looks like this thread has imploded in on itself...

Apple sells most products based on what they can do, not specs. The average person isn't going to care that the iPhone 4 has more RAM (which may have been done so that it can have a little breathing room while being used as a phone). They're going to see this:

iPod touch 3 vs. iPhone 3GS:
    No GSM Radio on iPod
    No vibration motor on iPod
    No Microphone on iPod
    No Camera on iPod
    802.11g on both
    Screen is the same
    Bluetooth on both
    Same speed (since Apple doesn't market CPU specifics)

iPod touch 4 vs. iPhone 4:
    No GSM Radio on iPod
    No vibration motor on iPod
    Microphone on both
    Cameras on both, even if the iPod's isn't as good
    Face Time on both
    802.11n on both
    Screen is the same (crispness, viewing angle for most folks)
    Bluetooth on both
    Same speed
    Gyroscope on both

iPod touch 3 vs. iPod touch 4
    No microphone on iPod touch 3
    Lower resolution screen on iPod touch 3
    No cameras on iPod touch 3
    802.11g on iPod touch 3
    No gyroscope on iPod touch 3
    Faster CPU
    Slimmer design​

The average consumer cares about features. iOS 4 works just fine on 256MB RAM, so if Apple's choice to cut costs in the RAM upgrade compared to the iPhone so that the iPod can have a camera or microphone, I think most would be fine with that.

25. Neebee macrumors 6502a

@Microbyte. Very good and constructive post. I haven't been following Goodboy's post or rants. I just came across this thread.

Because of Goodboy's post, I now realize there is a significant difference between the touch and iphone this year. Sure i knew about the lack of gps, poor camera, but I didnt realize they skimped out on the RAM too. It does appear to me Apple is definitely cutting corners and charging more while giving less (in comparison to the iPhone 4). Pity.

BTW, I just read ecschwarz's post and there doesn't seem to be that big of a difference...oh, well. I'm still buying the darn thing. lol.