Apple Closing Quickly on Research in Motion in Smart Phone Market Share

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Market research firm ChangeWave today released its latest quarterly Consumer Smart Phone survey, which includes survey data taken in mid-September highlighting market share trends for Research in Motion, Apple, and Palm.
In the horserace among manufacturers, the release of the iPhone 3GS has led to a big jump in smart phone market share for Apple and has placed them within striking distance of Research In Motion -- whose slew of models are still number one but have fallen to their lowest level in two years.
The report is an expanded analysis of data touched upon in September that showed Apple's smart phone market share rising from 25% to 30% between June and September. The new analysis compares iPhone market share to the performance of Research in Motion, which has trended slightly down to currently stand at 40%, and Palm, which appears to be stabilizing at approximately 7% of the market after a steep decline from its leadership position earlier this decade.

Overall, smart phone growth continues, with 39% of surveyed mobile phone owners reporting owning a smart phone, up from 37% in the previous quarter, and a continuation of a clear trend extending back many years as smart phones have continued to gain more enticing capabilities at lower price points.

Apple also appears poised to continue to eat into Research in Motion's lead in the smart phone market, with 36% of survey respondents planning to purchase a smart phone in the next 90 days looking to purchase an iPhone, with only 27% of those interested in Research in Motion's BlackBerry. The numbers represent a decline from the 44%-23% advantage held by Apple in the previous quarter, but as the report notes, the decline is due to a natural tapering off of enthusiasm after the iPhone 3GS launch and is actually a much smaller decline than was observed after the launch of the iPhone 3G last year.

Article Link: Apple Closing Quickly on Research in Motion in Smart Phone Market Share

philipt42

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2009
RI
No real surprises here, everyone I know who is getting a smartphone is getting an iPhone, but it is a little weird palm doesn't have a bit more.

entropys

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
Intersting interpretation. To me it looks like Apple hasn't hurt RIM all that much (% market share belonging to RIM hasn't changed all that much), but has caused Palm no end of grief and it doesn't provide any info on Symbian, Android or Winmo.

Not enough info here to be useful.

The key RIM advantage of course is that many workplaces will not allow or provide an iphone for their network, but will allow/provide a RIM device.

BongoBanger

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2008
What the heck happened to Palm?
Nothing to offer and the Pre was too little, too late.

RIM seem fairly static - it seems Apple have hoovered up Palm's market and the odd RIM customer here and there in the main. Does this include corporate sales? I would imagine not.

Intersting interpretation. To me it looks like Apple hasn't hurt RIM all that much (% market share belonging to RIM hasn't changed all that much), but has caused Palm no end of grief and it doesn't provide any info on Symbian, Android or Winmo.

Not enough info here to be useful.
True - there's 23% missing. Given that this is a US survey one would assume Symbian will have very little share which leaves the rest between Android and WinMo. It's strange that they don't show their numbers.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
While great news for fanboys to scream about. Something that must be pointed out is RIM's main focus is the bussiness market not the conusumer market. That market is much much smaller and Apple lets face it sucks in that market. Apple is aiming at the Consumer market.

Another thing is the Bussiness market is saturated already. Consumer market is new to the smart phone and growing in how many people want them.

Sum it up. Apple is not really stealing marketshare from RIM since Apple is not taking anything away in the bussiness market. Plus RIM is selling more phones ever quarter so it is still growing.

RazHyena

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2009
USA
While great news for fanboys to scream about. Something that must be pointed out is RIM's main focus is the bussiness market not the conusumer market. That market is much much smaller and Apple lets face it sucks in that market. Apple is aiming at the Consumer market.

Another thing is the Bussiness market is saturated already. Consumer market is new to the smart phone and growing in how many people want them.

Sum it up. Apple is not really stealing marketshare from RIM since Apple is not taking anything away in the bussiness market. Plus RIM is selling more phones ever quarter so it is still growing.
ROFL.

You got anything to back that drivel up? I'm seeing plenty of people using their iPhones for work and at the corporate level.

Man the MSfanbois are just camping this site today!

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
Compared to all the Palm stuff I had across the years, the iPhone kicks ass so bad.

When's the first MS troll going to come here and say Apple is failing and MS is doing it right? As they do with every thread.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

spazzcat said:
What the heck happened to Palm?
It died years ago...
I heard the pre is going to dress up as the iPhone for halloween...

RebootD

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2009
NW Indiana
Congrats to Apple but until the iPhone can multitask like my Pre I'm happy to stick with my 'too little too late but I can listen to Pandora while pushing multiple email accounts in real-time and surfing the web' phone. ;)

theheadguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
california
ROFL.
You got anything to back that drivel up? I'm seeing plenty of people using their iPhones for work and at the corporate level.
Oh gee, I don't know... common sense? You obviously don't work at a corporation. Most people with company issued cell phones are all on BBs. If there is a small company that issues them, we usually have someone like you who runs to the forums to make a story out of it.

It's ok to have competitors, you know. As I type on this thread I happily do it with a MBP, but I don't have the hate in me that so many of you do when it comes to MS. It's like there is a race to who can point out the trolls first, when in fact, that itself is trolling.

RebootD

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2009
NW Indiana
Oh gee, I don't know... common sense? You obviously don't work at a corporation. Most people with company issued cell phones are all on BBs. If there is a small company that issues them, we usually have someone like you who runs to the forums to make a story out of it.
I can only speak from my circle of friends and colleagues but most corporate users are given BB phones by default. If they have an iPhone (and several of them do) it's their secondary phone outside of work.

BongoBanger

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2008
Why do people start moaning about Microsoft when they're not even mentioned in the article? It's old.

alywa

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2004
Who's marketshare is Apple mostly eating in to?
As far as overall marketshare, apple is taking share from BB, Palm, and WM. However, the real picture is that the smartphone market is growing rapidly, and apple is garnering a larger percentage of the overall growth. Not so much that the other's user base is shrinking, it is jut not growing as quickly as iPhone's.

cumanzor

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2009
ROFL.

Wow oh my God! I didn't know Microsoft was even remotely related to RIM.

Thanks, you've made my life so much better!!

GO APPLE!!!

RazHyena

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2009
USA

It's ok to have competitors, you know. As I type on this thread I happily do it with a MBP, but I don't have the hate in me that so many of you do when it comes to MS. It's like there is a race to who can point out the trolls first, when in fact, that itself is trolling.
So, what you're saying is, you don't believe businesses are giving their employees the option of an issued iPhone? :rolleyes: We won't go into how idiotic that is, but I can tell you it's untrue.

And although I do not have an iPhone now, I will have the option of choosing one when service becomes available here. I will be reimbursed partially for it's purchase. 75% of the price will be covered.

Edit: One other thing, AT&T has no coverage here yet, (It's Montana) so if someone wants an iPhone, they would need to essentially jailbreak it using one of the services here and then apply for reimbursement with their respective companies. Once AT&T is established here, the process will be more streamlined. But anyone wanted an iPhone has to do a lot of the legwork themselves. Still, that's not stopping many from doing it.

RazHyena

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2009
USA
Wow oh my God! I didn't know Microsoft was even remotely related to RIM.

Thanks, you've made my life so much better!!

GO APPLE!!!
...well, to be honest, it isn't :eek: I'm just noticing a high volume of people slamming anything apple related on these forums over the past three days.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.