Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2006
California
The problem for Apple was clearly the delay.

1) Analysts were modelling sales based on an increase from the yoy quarter, however, last year, this was the first quarter after launch of a new iPhone, while this year, it was the last quarter before the launch of the new iPhone.
2) Apple had established a clear pattern of releasing a new iPhone in the Sep quarter. As a result, even those who did not follow rumor sites, were expecting the iPhone in the last quarter, and delaying purchases.

I agree with the delay.

However, analysts could have easily changed their estimates once that yearly update cycle didn't happen this year.

normwood

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2008
In a house...duh!
It just gives the consumer different options....

They don't need that many options. It just confuses people.

If more companies did like Apple and made a few high quality products rather than 128 "ok" products they would be better off.

About once a year my wife has to go buy a new curling iron because the one she bought the year before took a dump on her. She goes to Target to check out the 30-40 choices they have. 30-40 choices....are you serious? It's a stick that gets hot and curls your hair.

End of mild rant.

Steve

hcho3

macrumors 68030
May 13, 2010
once again.. these Analysts are nothing...

Goldman Sachs lost 482 million dollars, but analysts somewhat meh... on the result. The share rose 5%.

Apple beat their own guidance, but did not get to the crazy analysts level. So, the share goes down 5%.

Analysts probably wanted iPhone 4 sales to go to the moon. Nobody is dumb enough to buy iPhone 4 with all of rumors around...

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
I still can't understand why, for a similar monthly fee, people don't go for the iPhone.

That's the thing, with more carrier options you can get other smartphones for a lower monthly fee if you shop around (which is exactly what I'm considering right now). I think iPhone is worth every penny but at least in the USA the monthly plans are highway robbery.

PJMAN2952

macrumors regular
May 22, 2011
Well if Apple had released the iPhone 5 instead of the iPhone 4S the sales would be higher. But 4 million iPhones 4S in three days is impressive since the phone has incremental upgrades and has Siri. Just wait for summer for the iPhone 5. We will all be happy and me too because i will get my first iPhone NEXT year.

japasneezemonk

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2005
Nomad
Apple blames rumors... I blame lack of redesign.
Why would apple need a redesign? I like the current iPhone. It looks great and feels timeless. Don't forget, Macbook Pros looked like Powerbooks for years while Macbooks where white for ages too. A more recent example is the iMac, unless you're a huge apple nerd, all 2007+ iMacs kinda look the same. I actually like the fact that Apple iterates at a slower pace since it gives the hardware a higher reslae value and it just makes the devices feel newer longer. I'm still using an 7,1 iMac and have little desire to upgrade.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
How many iPhones are there? How many Samsung smartphones are there? That's not a fair comparison, and doesn't help to put anything into perspective.

Here's a link to help you.

How is it not fair? Are you saying that Apple is not releasing more models in order to lower their profits?

----------

I still can't understand why, for a similar monthly fee, people don't go for the iPhone. It's obviously more quality. I know that is an opinion, but it is a fact in a way. I mean, just holding the iPhone feels great. :D

Holding iPhone does feel great. Dropping it? Not so much ;)

thenerdal

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2011
They don't need that many options. It just confuses people.

If more companies did like Apple and made a few high quality products rather than 128 "ok" products they would be better off.

About once a year my wife has to go buy a new curling iron because the one she bought the year before took a dump on her. She goes to Target to check out the 30-40 choices they have. 30-40 choices....are you serious? It's a stick that gets hot and curls your hair.

End of mild rant.

Steve

Yes they do. A lot of phones are at different price points and have different features and look different.

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010

The other side of the "I hate how Apple makes us upgrade every year" argument is that nearly all the other smartphone manufacturers trot out numerous models every year, so you get buyer's remorse that much quicker.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley

And those 128 options for customers give nightmares to Android developers. The amount of development, QA and test work is at least 10X more, per dollar of revenue, for them to support even just the most popular models of Android devices.

Many iOS developers get by with 3 test devices or less (old model Touch, iPad, newer iPhone, or vice versa), and still manage to sell across the majority of the iOS market.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
This is one of those no **** things. They have 3 extra months of pent up demand for the next iPhone. It will spike sales for that quarter.

japasneezemonk

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2005
Nomad
Yes they do. A lot of phones are at different price points and have different features and look different.

Conventional wisdom is that the more choices customers have, the more likely they will buy. That may be true when customers have very specific wants or needs, and they know what those wants or needs are. However, often having lots of choices just confuses customers and they don't buy anything. Plus don't forget, making choices depletes willpower and when people are bombarded with choices they tend to stop caring after a while. This tactic works great for car dealerships and cereal aisles, but it makes for an overall worse customer experience. Sometimes having a curator is the best option.

joneill55

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
ahoy there Maties.......... $500 Apple share stock price ahead, here we come!

Retirement fund looking better each quarter :)

thenerdal

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2011
The other side of the "I hate how Apple makes us upgrade every year" argument is that nearly all the other smartphone manufacturers trot out numerous models every year, so you get buyer's remorse that much quicker.

Same can be said about most electronic manufacturers.

----------

Conventional wisdom is that the more choices customers have, the more likely they will buy. That may be true when customers have very specific wants or needs, and they know what those wants or needs are. However, often having lots of choices just confuses customers and they don't buy anything. Plus don't forget, making choices depletes willpower and when people are bombarded with choices they tend to stop caring after a while. This tactic works great for car dealerships and cereal aisles, but it makes for an overall worse customer experience. Sometimes having a curator is the best option.

Rarely do customers have no specific needs or wants when choosing a phone.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
How is it not fair? Are you saying that Apple is not releasing more models in order to lower their profits?

----------

Holding iPhone does feel great. Dropping it? Not so much ;)

That would be a non intended use that a consumer with dropsies can protect her/himself from with a case or caution. Not Apple's problem.

Please buy a Samsung or any other phone and be happy you have one that
sells more than the iphone. It's so important that average consumers cry themselves to sleep at night over.This is not a p...ing contest about sales numbers.

iphone is about quality, a game changer about being the way we do things and happy customers.

If you really want to doctor the numbers break up the sales into black - white 16 GB , 32 GB and 64 GB and 3GS, 4 , 4 S. Bad sales then.LOL.

Fact is , it's a great phone hence the sales figures and at this point there aren't many in the supply chain sitting on store shelves.

waldobushman

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2011
Dah! Of course.

I wouldn't say "blame". Perhaps analysts failed to take into account the obvious that sale of Phone4's would drop as the release of a new iPhone approached.

But, analysts make their money by talking up and down Apple. Seems that all the analysts expectations overestimated Apple's revenue. Apple's revenues didn't miss their targets, they missed the expectations of analysts who make their money producing nothing in particular.

japasneezemonk

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2005
Nomad
[/COLOR]

Rarely do customers have no specific needs or wants when choosing a phone.[/QUOTE]

This is from the Harvard Business Review back in 2009:

What happens when you combine product design virtuosity, high-powered market research techniques, and copious customer data? Too often, the result is gadgets that suffer from “feature creep”
----
The trouble is that most customer-preference rating tools used in product development today are blunt instruments, primarily because consumers have a hard time articulating their real desires.

Last edited:

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
How many iPhones are there? How many Samsung smartphones are there? That's not a fair comparison, and doesn't help to put anything into perspective.

Here's a link to help you.
Just like it isn't always fair to compare sales of Samsung when they are the ones also competing with other Android and Windows Phone OEM's that cannibalize into their sales too. Samsung can churn out different designs every few months while Apple can milk the same one for at least two years.

Sammy work their asses off only to get razor-thin profits just to stand out from a sea of other competitors while Apple only has to worry about introducing one new model every year and can get away with the same GUI/screen size for five years. Most of the harder labor goes to the Asian companies that provide them the components internally.

It can cut both ways.

Apple will be fine. 17M considered a disappointment? Please. They can add a 0.5 inch increase on the screen size next year without changing the camera, the GUI, and hardware specs internally, and it will still sell in droves and be called "the most amazing iPhone yet."

hobo.hopkins

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008

All I'm saying is that comparing iPhone sales to the sales of ALL Samsung phones isn't a fair comparison, and doesn't serve to put anything into perspective. I wasn't making any comment about profits.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.