Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today shared a new support document explaining how to use the new MagSafe Duo Charger with iPhone 12 models and the Apple Watch, clarifying some details about the accessory following its release earlier this month.

magsafe-duo-iphone-apple-watch.jpg

Notably, the support document confirms that Apple's older 29W USB-C power adapter is not compatible with the MagSafe Duo, presumably because that adapter does not support the necessary 5V/3A or 9V/1.67A power ratings. As a result, when the MagSafe Duo is connected to the 29W adapter, it can only charge either an iPhone or Apple Watch, rather than both devices simultaneously.

Apple discontinued the 29W adapter in 2018, replacing it with a 30W version that is fully compatible with the MagSafe Duo.

The support document also notes that the MagSafe Duo's hinge area might wrinkle over time if kept in the folded, closed position, especially if the charger is left in a very hot environment, such as inside of a car on a hot day:
As with most soft materials, the covering of accessories might experience normal wear over time. The hinge area of your MagSafe Duo Charger might wrinkle over time if kept in the folded position. Leaving your MagSafe Duo Charger in a very hot environment (like the inside of a car on a hot day) in the folded position might lead to more visible, deeper wrinkles in that area. This doesn't affect the functional performance of the accessory.
As with the singular MagSafe Charger, the MagSafe Duo is limited to up to 12W of power delivery when used with the iPhone 12 mini. And when Lightning accessories such as Apple's EarPods are connected to any iPhone 12 model, charging with the MagSafe Duo is limited to 7.5W to comply with regulatory standards.

The rest of the document reiterates many details that Apple already shared about MagSafe charging, and is worth a glance for new MagSafe Duo owners.

Article Link: Apple Confirms 29W Power Adapter Incompatible With MagSafe Duo Charger

Last edited:
Reactions: Fefe82

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
The USB PD committee is going to need to come up with some sort of color coding or alphabet scheme to help people understand all the permutations... All of these different voltage/current options is going to really become a problem.
USB PD 3.3 Gen 2 Type 4

This will soon be followed by the release of a new 220 page “For Dummies” book titled, “Understanding USB Branding Nomenclature”

Johnny Steps

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2011
This is confusing. I was planning on using a spare Macbook Pro 87W charger I had. Would it not work with this?

Reactions: Lazy

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
USB PD 3.3 Gen 2 Type 4

This will soon be followed by the release of a new 220 page “For Dummies” book titled, “Understanding USB Branding Nomenclature”

Mine is marked USB PD 3.4 Gen 1a Type 4 On-the-Go. Is it compatible? The book was written a few weeks ago, so the table lists it as "Pending Ratification".

I'm so glad we got rid of FireWire. Remember when we had to deal with that extra connector?

• Haha
Reactions: Lazy

bviktor

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2019
The USB PD committee is going to need to come up with some sort of color coding or alphabet scheme to help people understand all the permutations... All of these different voltage/current options is going to really become a problem.
Nope, we just need vendors sticking to the standard USB-PD charging profiles instead of coming up with these stupid custom ones.

colinchuang

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2015
Australia

Apple today shared a new support document explaining how to use the new MagSafe Duo Charger with iPhone 12 models and the Apple Watch, clarifying some details about the accessory following its release earlier this month.

magsafe-duo-iphone-apple-watch.jpg

Notably, the support document confirms that Apple's older 29W USB-C power adapter is not compatible with the MagSafe Duo, presumably because that adapter does not support the necessary 5V/3A or 9V/1.67A power ratings. As a result, when the MagSafe Duo is connected to the 29W adapter, it can only charge either an iPhone or Apple Watch, rather than both devices simultaneously.

Apple discontinued the 29W adapter in 2018, replacing it with a 30W version that is fully compatible with the MagSafe Duo.

The support document also notes that the MagSafe Duo's hinge area might wrinkle over time if kept in the folded, closed position, especially if the charger is left in a very hot environment, such as inside of a car on a hot day:

As with the singular MagSafe Charger, the MagSafe Duo is limited to up to 12W of power delivery when used with the iPhone 12 mini. And when Lightning accessories such as Apple's EarPods are connected to any iPhone 12 model, charging with the MagSafe Duo is limited to 7.5W to comply with regulatory standards.

The rest of the document reiterates many details that Apple already shared about MagSafe charging, and is worth a glance for new MagSafe Duo owners.

Article Link: Apple Confirms 29W Power Adapter Incompatible With MagSafe Duo Charger

The 29w dont work with the HomePod Mini either...just get an orange flashing light. I read about a specification change when they went to 30w so I assume that is the same reason why these dont work either.

Wml

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2016
Doncaster UK
Nice product but too expensive for my taste I just 3D printed a stand for my phone and watch only downside is I need two chargers

got the design from thingiverse

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    295.4 KB · Views: 127
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.