Apple Confirms HomePod Can Leave White Rings on Wood Surfaces With Oil or Wax Finishes [Updated]

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 14, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple has issued a statement confirming that the HomePod can possibly leave white rings on wood surfaces with an oil or wax finish.

[​IMG]
    Image: Wirecutter

The strange discovery was brought to light in HomePod reviews published by Wirecutter and Pocket-lint, as highlighted by VentureBeat, while at least one customer shared a picture of the same problem on Twitter.

Pocket-lint's Stuart Miles:
    Apple told Pocket-lint that it is "not unusual" for a speaker with a silicone base to leave a "mild mark" when placed on certain oiled or waxed surfaces, suggesting the rings are caused by chemical interactions with treated wood.

[​IMG]
    Image: Pocket-lint

Apple told Wirecutter that "the marks can improve over several days after the speaker is removed from the wood surface." If not, Apple recommends "cleaning the surface with the manufacturer's suggested oiling method."
    It's unclear at this point whether the issue is limited to treated wood, or if the problem could cause any sort of long-term damage to the HomePod's rubber base. For now, we would obviously recommend not placing your HomePod on a surface with an oil or wax finish if possible.

Wirecutter conducted some additional testing and saw no visible damage when placing the HomePod on glass, granite countertop, nice fiberboard, polyurethane-sealed wood, and cheap IKEA bookcases.

Update: Apple shared a "Cleaning and taking care of HomePod" support document that includes a section called "Where to place HomePod." This section includes details on the silicone base of the device and warns that it can cause marks on some wooden surfaces.
    Apple also suggests users avoid putting the HomePod near heat sources and liquids, and advises users that it can be cleaned with a damp cloth.

Article Link: Apple Confirms HomePod Can Leave White Rings on Wood Surfaces With Oil or Wax Finishes [Updated]

2. theheadguy macrumors 65816

Consumer Reports fake news! ;P

Seriously... did we really think there wouldn’t be a major quality control issue of some kind after their recent poor performance in this respect? Surely they envisioned someone would place this on a wood surface, after all, isn’t that what’s in Apple Stores?

3. DeftwillP macrumors 6502

4. anson42 macrumors regular

That's just swell. I haven't placed HomePod on a wood surface like this yet. Good to know. Queue the "You're using it wrong!" comments. haha

5. cknibbs macrumors member

It’s so you can put it back right where you found it!

Maybe it should come with a warning?

6. iapplelove, Feb 14, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2018

iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

Try explaining why your home pod is using a coaster next time company comes over lol

7. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

End of the world in 3...2....1...

Looks like we’ve got our first drama of the year.

8. berrymetal macrumors regular

berrymetal

9. gbc204 macrumors regular

10. frozen220 macrumors member

RingGate! WoodGate! ...HaloGate?

All these 'gates.

11. mi7chy macrumors 601

mi7chy

Clever way for Apple to sell an accessory for HP.

12. Applebot1 macrumors 6502a

13. zachcsnyder macrumors member

iRing or, Apple Ring. next product from apple: a $49 silicone mat for HomePod which can also be used with other destructive-to-wood objects, like hot cookware

14. Kaibelf macrumors 68000

Kaibelf

It's not "damaging wood furniture." It's reacting to oil or wax on the wood that isn't naturally there.

15. nibfiledotcom macrumors member

nibfiledotcom

This is not unique to HomePod... many, if not most, synthetic rubber bases like this will cause issues with certain oils used to protect wooden furniture.

My advice would be to use something else to protect your furniture, if you want to rest devices which have silicone bases directly on the table.

Or, like mom always said, "Use a coaster!" A disk made of thin cork or felt small enough to cover the silicone, but still be unobtrusive, would prevent the marking.

16. HobeSoundDarryl, Feb 14, 2018

HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 604

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    Quickly ADF- redirection time. I'll get it started...

But look at the perfection of that circle. Nobody does a circle like Apple. They may not be first, but...

I actually want circles on my furniture.

I think my furniture looks better with the circle.

Buy an HP and get a furniture tattoo for free.

It's clearly the furniture's fault.

Who buys wood furniture anymore anyway? What is this? the 1800s?

That's what you get for buying cheap wooden furniture.

Can I brand myself with an Apple circle if I lay down and set an HP on me for a few days?

All ;) But the actual ADF responses are going to be entertaining for this one.

17. Relentless Power, Feb 14, 2018

Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

Nonetheless, not something you want to see if it was an expensive piece of furniture or something that can’t easily be removed. But at least Apple releases a statement on the matter, being I could see some unhappy customers with a $350 Product leaving behind residue that may not be able to removed easily.

18. asdavis10 macrumors 6502

asdavis10

Seems like a great opportunity for accessory makers.

19. zachcsnyder macrumors member

I agree, but wouldn't you be pissed if this happened to an expensive piece of furniture? first world problems, i know, but it's not crazy for people to spend the cost of a well optioned MacBook Pro on a piece of furniture, or more

20. BruceEBonus macrumors 65816

BruceEBonus

This is the only way Apple can run rings round the competition nowadays it seems.

21. MarkB786 macrumors 6502

Based on Apple's recent track record of releasing mediocre products, it may be warranted. Mark my words, unless there is a major shakeup in management and talent, Apple will begin to decline to Sony levels in 5 to 7 years. Remember how hot and untouchable Sony was back in the day? Then they started releasing crap products with little innovation and poor quality control, just like Apple is starting to do. Just you wait.

22. blacktape242 macrumors 65816

blacktape242

23. roguegeek macrumors newbie

roguegeek

24. HowEver macrumors 6502a

HowEver