Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Apple today confirmed that it will be bringing all of the app ecosystem changes made to iOS in the European Union to iPadOS in the fall.
Why so long? Just implement the changes on a future iPadOS 17.x before iPadOS 18.0 goes public. No point to waiting until the last moment anymore, and it would be much better PR for Apple. At this point in time with the maturity of iOS 17.5/IPadOS 17.5 likely the easiest time to do it before testing 18's new features.

Reactions: Victor Mortimer

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
What caveat? It's not like the App Store is unblemished and Apple can make guarantees about it.

So imagine, if those bad apps infiltrated under Apple's watch, it's going to be much worse now.
At least Apple finally caught up to them and removed the apps and eliminated their developer accounts.
Now's it's going to be open territory.
Your grandpa is going to call you every week in the middle of the night with a virus on his iPad.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
And now spammers are going to create apps to blast spam to other Apple users.
It's going to be like Android, where Ad popups appear out of nowhere and nobody knows why, and need to install an antivirus on the device.
And software piracy will skyrocket.
I'm definitely not loading anything from third-party stores.

TigerNike23

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2017
Fort Myers, FL
And now spammers are going to create apps to blast spam to other Apple users.
It's going to be like Android, where Ad popups appear out of nowhere and nobody knows why, and need to install an antivirus on the device.
And software piracy will skyrocket.
I'm definitely not loading anything from third-party stores.
I’m softening my view on this a bit. There’s still no answer to the question what happens to the user when a big app becomes exclusive to a third-party marketplace and no longer receives updates on the App Store?

Will they be forced to unlock third-party stores on their iPhones like on Android? What if they don’t want to? Will the app just stop working? How is that “consumer friendly”?

q64ceo

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2010
I’m softening my view on this a bit. There’s still no answer to the question what happens to the user when a big app becomes exclusive to a third-party marketplace and no longer receives updates on the App Store?

Android allows any application to be sideloaded and any appstore to be installed. Google Play Store still has everything. And no one is anywhere near the marketshare it has.

ApplesAreSweet&Sour

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2018
Amazing how the EU can so powerfully run a wrecking ball into portions of Apple's walled garden.
Amazing, maybe. But in the end, it all comes down to a sacrifice, a loss of a certain € amount, something small in the grand scheme of Apple's EU endeavors.

Conversely, losing access to some 741.000.000 potential consumers is not the way forward.

Reactions: Elgaard

TigerNike23

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2017
Fort Myers, FL
Android allows any application to be sideloaded and any appstore to be installed. Google Play Store still has everything. And no one is anywhere near the marketshare it has.
When I had an Android phone 11 years ago I had to go into the settings to allow apps to be installed outside of the Play Store.

Has that been removed?

• Haha
Reactions: Victor Mortimer

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
This is further evidence that Apple knows what they‘re doing, giving in this fast cause they know they‘re just buying time stalling DMA rollouts across platforms etc. to get their old business model going "just a little further".

Most of the other artificial roadblockers they have going will fall like domino blocks (little to no resistance from Applw) with the EU starting their nitpicking period.
Apple certainly know what they’re doing. They are crying, “Oh no! Please don’t make our products more valuable to EU consumers such that it increases our hardware marketshare significantly!! Well, we’ll begrudgingly go ahead and make these changes and just have to satisfy ourselves by crying into the piles of money these additional sales will pull in! Woe is us!”

• Haha
Reactions: System603

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
Malicious compliance seems the right response to malicious enforcement.

”We have a bunch of quantitative metrics that you don’t violate so we’re holding you in breach of the qualitative one: we don’t like you.”
Pretty much. “We see that this product doesn’t meet the requirements to be defined a gatekeeper, but, today, it’s now a gatekeeper. Why? ‘cause.”

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.

Will they be forced to unlock third-party stores on their iPhones like on Android? What if they don’t want to? Will the app just stop working? How is that “consumer friendly”?
Good point. I don't see why a big app developer would do that, after considering the pros and cons.
I doubt any third-party store would have enough resources to provide good customer service like Apple does.
I don't see the real benefit to move my app to a third-party store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.