Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bentham

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2022
Anyone else getting an error when checking for updates after upgrading to iOS 16.1. I’m getting an unable to check for updates error. Servers seem up. Thanks

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
But does anyone really care if you find it unuseful. Can you imagine well enough to see that many will welcome this feature? I can guarantee you that you don't like 1/2 the things I like and vice versa. It really doesn't matter, does it?
Same with every 14 Pro thread. There's always someone complaining about AoD. Then don't use it! And why is it the little phone lovers saying there should be no big ones. Obviously the sales proved people want big phone. I never see a big phone user saying there shouldn't be little ones. Choices are good.

Reactions: Chevyman29

kuwxman

Cancelled
Jul 25, 2009
What sports app do you use? Or was it iOS itself pulling from different sources?

And did it show all games or just teams you follow?
Currently, you have to 'follow' a single game manually from within the AppleTV app. Would prefer it to be automatic, but doesn't look to work that way at the moment.

Attachments

• 30584659-7132-4D0E-80BD-C504ECB7843F.png
    30584659-7132-4D0E-80BD-C504ECB7843F.png
    926.8 KB · Views: 110

stephanjp

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2022
How does the Live Activity interact with Dynamic Island? Isn't one a large view, and one a very small view with limited conveyable information?
Live activities i believe will always be a large view but you should be able to see the same view from DI by press and holding on the appropriate icon on the DI as well.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
Currently, you have to 'follow' a single game manually from within the AppleTV app. Would prefer it to be automatic, but doesn't look to work that way at the moment.
Ahhh that makes sense. I also did just go into Apple News to follow my local teams, so maybe that'll make it automatic.

cthompson94

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2022
SoCal
As cool as it would be, not sure what I’d use it for. I don’t keep track of sports scores or anything.
It could be useful for a few things like any incoming deliveries like parcel or even food, news updates on topics, rideshare apps (if you use those), and there are probably plenty more that I cannot think of right now or maybe some really off the wall helpful ones that devs may think of

ss2cire

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2008
Earth?
To explain bluntly what sarcasm was trying to explain.

Here:

Once again Apple fail to deliver on time something that was announced as being available with Ios 16

Live activity
Stage whatever
Universal Control

I'm fairly certain a couple of those that were announced at WWDC had the caveat of "available later this fall". Which means they didn't promise it at launch. With that said, I'd rather a feature be "late" and good than "on time" and buggy.

Edit: Apparently I only read the part about features being late and missed the mentioning of sarcasm, oops!

dan110

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2013
'Merica
Apple's business model is based on hardware owners buying services and media.

This "convenient feature" will ensure that eye balls and subconscious minds will stay connected to their phones' ... even when it's "locked".

Brilliant!

Hughey79

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2017
Iowa
Can't get it to work. On the latest beta. In the apple tv setting the live activities slide was off, turned it on and then it turns itself right back off. Can't get it to stay on and never got the football scores to show last night.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Only app I think in Uk which will use this quickly for sport scores will be sport alerts and Forza football

R_Allonce

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2022
But does anyone really care if you find it unuseful. Can you imagine well enough to see that many will welcome this feature? I can guarantee you that you don't like 1/2 the things I like and vice versa. It really doesn't matter, does it?
This person is just sharing their opinion. As it stands it wouldn't be useful to them, but they didn't state it wouldn't be useful for others.

Angel Martin

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2022
I imagine that there will be a new tab in General Settings to allow which apps can access lock screen. Then widgets will let you add from there. I cannot imagine a lot of apps constantly showing up on our lock screens. Gonna have to cap it like the static widgets.

riverfreak

macrumors 68000
Jan 10, 2005
Thonglor, Krung Thep Maha Nakhon
Wont be upgrading to any iPhone 14 Pro until it is clear that Live Activities can be clearly DISABLED, preferably globally. It sounds horrendously obnoxious, invasive, and intrusive, even more so than endless irksome push notifications. No thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.