Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today confirmed that the Live Activities Lock Screen feature is going to be available when iOS 16.1 launches. Apple shared the information with developers and said that the ActivityKit API is available so developers can begin incorporating Live Activities into their apps.

ios-16-live-activities-feature.jpg

Live Activities are interactive notifications that stay up to date, allowing you to keep an eye on things happening in real time right from the Lock Screen. If you're following a sports game, for example, you can see the updated score on the Lock Screen, or if you're waiting for a Uber ride, you can watch for your driver to approach.

You'll be able to follow along with Live Activities on the Lock Screen, and iPhone 14 Pro and Pro Max users will also see Live Activities in the Dynamic Island.

Apple says that when the iOS 16.1 release candidate is available to developers, apps with Live Activities will be able to be submitted to the App Store.

Article Link: Apple Confirms Live Activities Will Come to the Lock Screen and Dynamic Island in iOS 16.1

Last edited:

SwiftArtery

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2022
UK
So I guess we know Uber will support this at launch. Any others that people know of/are looking forward to?

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
I wonder how the sports scores will work. I use ESPN app to watch scores, so will the system know that?

Lt.Bananas

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2021
But does anyone really care if you find it unuseful. Can you imagine well enough to see that many will welcome this feature? I can guarantee you that you don't like 1/2 the things I like and vice versa. It really doesn't matter, does it?
Oh I 100% agree it’s a cool feature. No doubt there. I just forget what it could be used for.

Reactions: arkitect

d686546s

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2021
Oh I 100% agree it’s a cool feature. No doubt there. I just forget what it could be used for.

If supported my primary use case will be tracking deliveries, particularly food and other stuff when it's out for delivery.

himynameisryan

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2022
As cool as it would be, not sure what I’d use it for. I don’t keep track of sports scores or anything.
yeah it depends on your usage I guess, I'd use it for uber eats maybe. maybe if you count music and the new timers thing as live activities that as well I guess

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.