Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Considering Adding China's BOE as OLED Supplier for 2018 iPhone

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is in discussions with China's BOE Technology Group to supply OLED screens for the 2018 iPhone, reports Bloomberg. The Cupertino company is looking for ways to shore up its OLED supplies as the iPhone transitions from LCD to OLED displays.

Apple has been testing BOE's OLED displays for months, according to Bloomberg, but it isn't yet sure whether to add the company as a supplier. BOE is one of China's largest display makers, recently spending about $14.5 billion on two AMOLED factories. Talks are too early to allow BOE to contribute displays for Apple's 2017 OLED-based iPhone, known as the iPhone 8, but BOE is hoping to contribute to the 2018 iPhone supply.

If Apple and BOE agree to a deal, the Chinese manufacturer will become Apple's first OLED supplier outside of South Korea and Japan. In November, it was reported that Apple's OLED suppliers, which include Samsung, LG, Sharp and Japan Display, would not be able to meet demand for the 2017 iPhone. The worldwide shortage of OLED displays is thought to be one of the reasons why Apple is limiting the feature to the high-end device, while the regular iPhone 7s and 7s Plus are said to feature LCD displays.

One of BOE's new factories will open this summer while another will open a couple years later. When they're up to full capacity, BOE says they'll be able to produce 1.6 million square-meters of flexible glass substrates (surfaces that displays are carved out of) a month.

Samsung will exclusively produce OLED displays for iPhones in 2017, with Apple opening up to LG, Sharp and Japan Display in 2018.

Article Link: Apple Considering Adding China's BOE as OLED Supplier for 2018 iPhone

theheadguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
california
Reminds me of this quote...

Apple is in the process of cornering all the core technologies they will need for the next generation products. Silicon? No rivals. Industrial processes? No rivals. Accessibility? No rivals. Health team? No rivals. Stores and support? No rivals. Maps? Getting better and better. AR and AI? Beefing up the teams with dozens af acquisitions. Apple will be around much longer than all of us.

Seems to me there are core technologies in OLED/LED screens and every . single . iPhone has a screen and the iPod shuffle is no more. Apple, look to your rivals for help on this one.

Comment

filmantopia

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2010
Seems likely that Apple will expand the edge-to-edge OLED to all models in 2018, and the iPhone 7s & iPhone 8/premium dual release is a one off.

Reactions: Avieshek
Comment

ryanwarsaw

macrumors 68030
Apr 7, 2007
People are going to return their phone when they find out their OLED display is not made by Samsung

Exactly. There will be numerous threads hundred of pages long about how to tell the difference and returning it. The irony that it takes a thread for them to be able to discern the difference or even be aware that a difference exists will be lost in the frenzy.

Comment

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
Seems likely that Apple will expand the edge-to-edge OLED to all models in 2018, and the iPhone 7s & iPhone 8/premium dual release is a one off.

But first, with the expansion of OLED, it also matters with the part suppliers having the adequate supplies to meet the demands. With everything shifting towards OLED, a time frame really doesn't mean anything if they don't have the supplies for iPhones, iPads, etc.

Last I read (I believe on MacRumors) that was one of the issues was suppliers were experiencing with restraint for acquiring the supplies and machines for development.

Comment

Techman82

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2016
People are going to return their phone when they find out their OLED display is not made by Samsung
Just what I was thinking as well(is it tsmc or Samsung) why don't apple buy the likes of tsmc and an oled manufacturer just to produce for Apple devices, they can afford it and then there wouldn't be talk all the time about supply shortages

Comment

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
OLED , wireless charging , great , though it's playing catchup with the rest of the industry.

What I'm going to find interesting is all the people who were very vocal about wireless charging being a poor feature, and as soon as its an apple device it will be an awesome feature . The only difference is going to be an even more expansive iPhone and a very expansive charging dock

Comment

Bacillus

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
Seems to me there are core technologies in OLED/LED screens and every . single . iPhone has a screen and the iPod shuffle is no more. Apple, look to your rivals for help on this one.
Time to approach Tesla for batteries
(and cars, eventually)

Last edited:
Comment

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
So Samsung are producing - what was it, 100 million OLED screens for Apple and now this? Seems like the entire lineup is switching.

Comment

KnightMagic

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2017
PLEASE APPLE DO NOT USE CHINESE KNOCKOFF SCREENS IN YOUR MOST IMPORTANT PRODUCT!!!!

What about the OLED panel is a knockoff?

I'm genuinely curious as to if you have some insider knowledge here or if this is just casual racism because its a Chinese manufacturer?

I mean, the iPhone itself is assembled in China and always has been across the iterations so I really don't understand why the location of the screen manufacturer is a problem.

But yeah, please do let me know.

Last edited:
Reactions: obargy and tzm41
Comment

Avieshek

Suspended
Dec 7, 2013
India
Chinese are interested in 4.5th gen while what Samsung is supplying and LG is readying (or Korean OEMs) is 6th generation of OLED panels, as well as their plan goes for 8th generation as well. The Chinese are nowhere near 8th generation even if the year is 2020. So, is Apple compromising in order to create diversity?

Comment

emm386

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2016
Here's where Apple tell us how much better OLED panels are compared to IPS and how much of a bold step forward this is.
In terms of color-saturation, viewing angle and (especially) energy efficiency it is. OLED colors are a bit over-saturated, but who really needs 98% Adobe RGB-accuracy on a 5" screen anyways.

PLEASE APPLE DO NOT USE CHINESE KNOCKOFF SCREENS IN YOUR MOST IMPORTANT PRODUCT!!!!
Chinese "knock-off" screens? Where do you believe your screen was being assembled? Japan?

Reactions: tzm41
Comment

Superrjamz54

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2015
OLED , wireless charging , great , though it's playing catchup with the rest of the industry.

What I'm going to find interesting is all the people who were very vocal about wireless charging being a poor feature, and as soon as its an apple device it will be an awesome feature . The only difference is going to be an even more expansive iPhone and a very expansive charging dock
Charging docks are cheap as long as they aren't made by Samesung.

Comment

AbSoluTc

macrumors 601
Sep 21, 2008
So OLED isn't coming this year? It's going to be a 2018 thing? Really don't want another 6/6S/7 device form factor again.

Reactions: mzubb
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.