Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
I do not understand. If the rumor that only one model iPhone could include OLED, why the need for so many suppliers?

I also do not understand why anyone wants OLED for their phone. OLED is less suitable than LED for phone displays. OLED has color shifting and burn-in, performs less well in sunlight, is much less efficient displaying white imagery (have you seen iOS lately?). Sure, OLED is great for TV where you watch continuously moving images indoors. On a phone... it is just an inferior option. If Apple moves to OLED, it is evidence that the marketing and salespeople are now in charge of Apple.

falainber

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2016
Wild West
I do not understand. If the rumor that only one model iPhone could include OLED, why the need for so many suppliers?

I also do not understand why anyone wants OLED for their phone. OLED is less suitable than LED for phone displays. OLED has color shifting and burn-in, performs less well in sunlight, is much less efficient displaying white imagery (have you seen iOS lately?). Sure, OLED is great for TV where you watch continuously moving images indoors. On a phone... it is just an inferior option. If Apple moves to OLED, it is evidence that the marketing and salespeople are now in charge of Apple.

Have you seen any Samsung phone owners complaining about the issues that you mentioned? They don't exists. And why? Because the issues do not exist. This is the reason why Apple flagship phone will have OLED display while cheaper models will use LED.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Chinese OLED is usually junk compared to Samsung or LG. It's going to be another repeat of current display lottery trying to get a non-piss yellow iPhone 7 or 7 Plus LCD.

Good User Name

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2011
In terms of color-saturation, viewing angle and (especially) energy efficiency it is. OLED colors are a bit over-saturated, but who really needs 98% Adobe RGB-accuracy on a 5" screen anyways.

OLED doesn't have to be oversaturated if you don't want it to be.

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
Have you seen any Samsung phone owners complaining about the issues that you mentioned? They don't exists. And why? Because the issues do not exist. This is the reason why Apple flagship phone will have OLED display while cheaper models will use LED.
Actually, it isn't hard to find forum posts about OLED burn-in on even Samsung phones. Color shifting is less apparent and offset by "pentile" pixel arrangement. Pentile is not "high tech". It simply doubles the number of blue pixels (blue OLED fades fastest). The only things Apple gains by using OLED is the ability to make the phone slightly thinner and the appeasement of spec hounds that equate OLED with "advanced". Currently the LCD in the iPhone has the highest rated display for color accuracy and brightness. No, it doesn't have the highest ppi because they don't have to squeeze in extra blue pixels.

Don't get me wrong, OLED is nice tech and awesome for television. And if Apple used OLED for iPhones and makes customers happy, great. Just be aware that OLED has disadvantages too and is not universally superior. Unless iOS goes mostly black, be prepared for terrible battery life, possibly burn-in of things like the indicators along the top, color shifting, degraded daylight visibility, slightly hazy looking fonts, and more expensive devices.

Reactions: I7guy

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
For anybody who puts their iPhone in a case the form factor is not an issue.

For anybody else: What is it you expect?

It has to have a screen (edge to edge or whatever it will be) and 4 corners
(Wait , maybe it should have more corners or be round or corners lopped off?)
Corners should be rounded , so there are no sharp edges.

That leaves the edges, which can be straight like the 4 (best design ever, but oh the outcry, Apple repeats itself)
or being chamfered in a variety of angles or rounded.

Without a case I find the current form very slippery.

To base a purchasing decision on a form factor? tztztztztz

I don't use a case. I don't wrap everything I buy in plastic or silicone. If I wanted that, I'd buy a crappy Android phone.

It's not just a screen. Their are aesthetics, material choices and the like. Glass vs metal. Rounded vs chamfered. Etc etc. Do you buy a car and wrap it up? No, you buy it because of how it looks to you, features and the like. A mobile device is no different.

Form factor is a huge thing to buyers.

dkersten

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2010
Just what I was thinking as well(is it tsmc or Samsung) why don't apple buy the likes of tsmc and an oled manufacturer just to produce for Apple devices, they can afford it and then there wouldn't be talk all the time about supply shortages

Vertical integration is tricky, especially in technology. As a company integrates vertically, they become much less agile and are less able to adapt to new technologies as they come. Because tech changes so quickly, Apple could be caught dead in the water manufacturing old, expensive technology. Apple has nearly always outsourced the manufacturing process because they can adapt to new technology, design their hardware, and then have companies bid to win a contract. It allows them to stay nimble while still allowing them some control over the manufacturing process. I don't see Apple owning or buying their own manufacturing anytime soon

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
I don't use a case. I don't wrap everything I buy in plastic or silicone. If I wanted that, I'd buy a crappy Android phone.

It's not just a screen. Their are aesthetics, material choices and the like. Glass vs metal. Rounded vs chamfered. Etc etc. Do you buy a car and wrap it up? No, you buy it because of how it looks to you, features and the like. A mobile device is no different.

Form factor is a huge thing to buyers.

Last time I held my car up to my ear, I got a ticket! (and a muscle cramp and a hernia)

Last time I tried to recline the seats of my iPhone or use the stowaway feature, the glass broke.
Must be because a car and a phone are different after all!

If you don't use a case, great. A lot of people know whether they are klutzy like me. Cheap protection for a $ 1,000 phone.
I see plenty of the -no case crowd - running around with broken iPhone glass.

In the end the iPhone is always a rectangle!

Freida

Suspended
Oct 22, 2010
China supplier???? Trump isn't gonna like this...... LOL

[doublepost=1487167734][/doublepost]

I think you could of just said, "LCD" which it is... Whether it be IPS, VA, TN... Now as far as OLED losing color.. I've never had an iphone more than 2 years.. I usually break them or get the new models... I'm fine with mystery color after years.... besides, I'm sure they would cover that on warranty if it happened early.... Other than that... PEOPLE WANT UPGRADES. They dont want to pay $1000 for the same old recycled crap... Its understandable.
I used IPS as its the best one :) but ok, lets be precise and say LCD :)
You may be fine with 2 years cycle but some people prefer to have longer cycles and if blue channel (I think its blue) loses around 30% or so in the first 2 years (?) then a product that you wanna have for 3-4 years is suddenly inferior.
Now, someone with more knowledge about this problem might chip in and correct me but I believe that if OLED is still like that then its perhaps better to stick to good old LCD until this issue is eliminated.

Wowereit

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2016
Germany
A retina OLED MacBook would also be outstanding.

I'm not so sure about this.
Notebooks are used for hours without turning off the display and there are many static UI elements.
There will most likely be burn-in issues. If that's covered by Apple Care, I'm all in.

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
Last time I held my car up to my ear, I got a ticket! (and a muscle cramp and a hernia)

Last time I tried to recline the seats of my iPhone or use the stowaway feature, the glass broke.
Must be because a car and a phone are different after all!

If you don't use a case, great. A lot of people know whether they are klutzy like me. Cheap protection for a $ 1,000 phone.
I see plenty of the -no case crowd - running around with broken iPhone glass.

In the end the iPhone is always a rectangle!

Had every iPhone since 3G. No case, no broken screens or cracks. Any who.

BeforeTheMeds

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2016
Edomx, MX
Pretty sure implying a company produces 'knock offs' with no evidence because they are based in China is.. if not racist in itself, is a comment laced with negative stereotypes.

I don't think that's accapetable, but to each their own.

I'm pretty sure implying a chinese company is making knock offs happens Because china is known for knock offs and openly allows it. Take for example the iphone clone that runs android. I don't know about now but thailand used to be also. At least in the 70's and early 80's you could buy complete knock off encyclopedia sets there in stores. Just an example, everything is digital now. The point is countries that openly allow knock offs will be known for knock offs. Thats just the way it works. If they do not like it they could always crack down on that image. When I was a kid japan was known for knock offs, they got well past that image. Not all criticisms are racism or bigotry, some are are well earned. Here in mexico you can buy music and video knock offs everywhere. There ARE legit music stores but the pirate stores, who openly operate openly, put a dark cloud over all of the music business.

When you can go on ebay and buy electronics without worrying that its a knock off from china, even looks and packaged like the original, then remarks about chinese knock offs may deserve a second look. Until then its pretty well earned even if there are some excellent, honest companies there.

Last edited:

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
Had every iPhone since 3G. No case, no broken screens or cracks. Any who.

You did see this MR topic posted (not on front page)
Definitely an issue.

Apple May Crowdsource iPhone Damage Data to Make Future Screens More Resistant to Cracks

Cases of cracked iPhone screens are certainly nothing new, and occur often enough to have earned a separate service fee in Apple's AppleCare+ program. According to one study, half of mobile users globally have experienced at least one cracked smartphone screen in their lifetime, and at least 21 percent of smartphone owners currently have a cracked screen.

Presumably with this in mind, Apple is currently exploring technology that can detect when an iPhone screen has suffered damage and alert the user early, even if the break is a hairline crack, which may allow the company to come up with better design solutions in the future.

macintoshi

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2008
Switzerland
Wireless charging as it is nothing but a useless gimmick no matter the phone manufacturer. Apple wants to change it so you do not have to put in on a pad. The tech is not ready yet. So you have to compromise. If wireless charging was so important every manufacturer besides a Samsung would have it standard already.
[doublepost=1487162344][/doublepost]
It's coming to the top of the line model this year. On all phones in 2018.
I would say they skipped wireless charging cause of strong waves arround your liveing room. There is still not a good solution to it...

lachero23

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2011
What about the OLED panel is a knockoff?

I'm genuinely curious as to if you have some insider knowledge here or if this is just casual racism because its a Chinese manufacturer?

I mean, the iPhone itself is assembled in China and always has been across the iterations so I really don't understand why the location of the screen manufacturer is a problem.

But yeah, please do let me know.
The crappy screen is not coming from a Samsung factory, or a Japan Display factory, or an LG factory, but from a Chinese local company. That's why

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Hyperbole, my new iPhone 7 has the same perfect color cast as my old 6s.
Not hyperbole. Facts for some users

Yellow tint on my 6 compared to 7 Plus

c2c3fc8b6b552898b8f017632ccf9972.jpg

241b0309bfb971f856ae586db6c997d3.jpg

Other users devices
Yellow-screen-on-left.jpg

15.jpg

iphone-6-screen-yellow-tint.jpg

iphone-7-yellow-screen-comparison-example.jpg

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Not hyperbole. Facts for some users

Yellow tint on my 6 compared to 7 Plus
Oled burn and color shifting is a certainty if you use the screen. Ips display issues are a random occurrence. However you seem to have you fair share of Issues with Apple products.

That's why I like ips displays over oled. But thats me.

Other u

thatdrh

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
I used IPS as its the best one :) but ok, lets be precise and say LCD :)
You may be fine with 2 years cycle but some people prefer to have longer cycles and if blue channel (I think its blue) loses around 30% or so in the first 2 years (?) then a product that you wanna have for 3-4 years is suddenly inferior.
Now, someone with more knowledge about this problem might chip in and correct me but I believe that if OLED is still like that then its perhaps better to stick to good old LCD until this issue is eliminated.

Well, I know people with the same OLED for years now and its the same as it was when new.. Nothing I would worry about.. Plus get apple care and you're good for a couple years... smash your phone at the end of the apple care, and you get another one. Then you're good for a couple more...
[doublepost=1487863627][/doublepost]
The person you were replying to was suggesting that Apple should only sell the China made displays in China.

Actually, that doesn't happen any more either, because of clever tricks such as making the blue LEDs slightly larger than necessary and running them at less power. Another trick is that the display code keeps track of blue usage and increases the output where necessary over time to compensate for any LED decay.

Oh, you write code for TVs, or just build them?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.