Apple Considering Eliminating Qualcomm Chips From Next Year's iPhones and iPads

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 30, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Amid an escalating legal battle with Qualcomm, Apple is designing its 2018 iPhones and iPads without Qualcomm LTE chips, reports The Wall Street Journal. Apple is instead considering using only modem chips from Intel and perhaps MediaTek in its next-generation devices.

Qualcomm is allegedly withholding software that Apple needs to test LTE chips in its iPhone and iPad prototypes, necessitating the move.

[​IMG]

The Wall Street Journal's sources say Qualcomm stopped sharing the software following the January lawsuit Apple filed against the company, hindering Apple's development efforts, but Qualcomm claims Apple has already tested the chip that would be suitable for the next-generation iPhone.
    Apple has used Qualcomm modem chips in its devices for many years, but began diversifying last year with the addition of Intel modem chips in the iPhone 7 and the iPhone 7 Plus. The iPhone 8 and the iPhone 8 Plus also use both Intel and Qualcomm chips. In the United States, AT&T and T-Mobile models use chips from Intel, while Verizon and Sprint models use chips from Qualcomm.

According to The Wall Street Journal, Apple's plans to stop using Qualcomm chips in its 2018 devices could still change. Apple could switch suppliers as late as June, three months before the launch of the 2018 iPhone.

Apple and Qualcomm have been embroiled in a legal battle since the beginning of the year after Apple sued Qualcomm for $1 billion, accusing the company of charging unfair royalties for "technologies they have nothing to do with" and failing to pay for quarterly rebates.

Apple stopped paying licensing fees to Qualcomm at that time, as did Apple suppliers. Apple maintains that Qualcomm charges excessive licensing fees by requesting a percentage of an iPhone's entire value, while Qualcomm says its technology is "at the heart of every iPhone."

Qualcomm has since countersued and filed several patent infringement lawsuits against Apple. Qualcomm has also asked the United States International Trade Commission to block imports of some iPhone and iPad models and has requested that China stop manufacturing and selling iPhones.

Article Link: Apple Considering Eliminating Qualcomm Chips From Next Year's iPhones and iPads

2. blackberrycubed macrumors 6502a

and we end up with the ****** intel modems... smh....

3. farewelwilliams macrumors 68000

And then Qualcomm sues Apple for not using their chips.

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Intel stocks are sure to go up if more stories like this one star popping all over.

5. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

What does the Apple Watch use? Pure apple designed chip embedded in right?

6. jayducharme macrumors 68040

jayducharme

That's my concern. As long as Intel's radio chips are equal to or better than Qualcomm's, I don't see a problem. But so far that hasn't been the case.

7. Dirtydutch macrumors 6502a

Dirtydutch

Thank God. I can’t stand the million posts about an “inferior” modem. At least now we all get them so no one can complain

8. Speedman100 macrumors 6502

Speedman100

Can Intel make CDMA capable chips yet? Apple can't release an iPhone that doesn't support CDMA, can it?

9. Abazigal macrumors G4

Abazigal

Do it, Apple.

In for a penny, in for a pound.

10. skywalkerr69 macrumors 6502a

skywalkerr69

They asked China to stop manufacturing them. Lmaoooooo

11. Strelok macrumors 6502a

Strelok

I believe so, yes. I think they have a gigabit Modem in the works/ready too now.

12. Juan007 macrumors 6502a

Juan007

Good! I hope Apple puts these criminals out of business. Steve Jobs invented the iPhone, not Qualcomm!

13. johnparjr macrumors 6502a

johnparjr

Yes last year intel didn’t have the license for cdma but they do now

14. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

We know that Samsung makes huge amounts of money by selling iPhone parts to Apple. Qualcomm forcing Apple to stop using Qualcomm products is absolutely stupid.

15. yeah macrumors 6502a

yeah

I would prefer Apple to use their own in-house designed modem chips. Imagine every single LTE/5G radio technology and band support!

16. ghsNick macrumors 68030

ghsNick

Well, I’m glad I got the X.

Qualcomm chips are definitely better than Intel...so hopefully in two years (when I update again) Intel will have caught up.

I know a lot of people hate Qualcomm but I’m on Verizon and need solid CDMA haha.

17. KingslayerG5 Suspended

KingslayerG5

iPhone X on Verizon and Sprint will be last variants to have the superior modem.

Get that unlocked Verizon iPhone X before it's too late. Already unlocked, compatible to AT&T and T-Mobile, and have Qualcomm.

Verizon's iPhone X is the best variant.

18. Ion-X macrumors member

Ion-X

Like the rest of the chips on the iPhone, Apple will gradually move design in-house for its modems. Qualcomm should take what business it can get!

19. avanpelt macrumors 68030

This wouldn’t be the first time Apple made a decision that bit their customers in the ass for a period of time. Case and point: Apple dropping Google Maps in favor of their inferior navigation product.

If Apple makes this move, they’d better make damn sure that Intel’s modems are up to snuff. I’ve seen a considerable amount of side-by-side testing online where the Qualcomm modem outperforms the Intel modem in terms of throughput and also general ability to maintain a more stable signal when a device is on the fringes of coverage.

20. Ion-X macrumors member

Ion-X

Agreed. That way we don’t have all these different models that don’t work in different countries or on different networks.

21. imaginex20 macrumors 65816

imaginex20

If Verizon and Sprint would quit using CDMA, this would be a non issue

22. FFR macrumors 68040

FFR

23. profets macrumors 601

Apple has been doing a lot of chip design themselves. Makes you wonder if they’ve been working in house on a radio chip design.

24. JPack, Oct 30, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2017

JPack macrumors 68040

JPack

Makes sense.

Today, Qualcomm is cutting off the testing software.

Tomorrow, they will be cutting off modem firmware updates.

If I were Apple, I sure as heck wouldn't want Qualcomm anymore. Risk of being stuck with something that can't be firmware updated? No thanks!

25. fairuz, Oct 30, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2017

fairuz macrumors 68000

fairuz

Hoping Intel can prove that Qualcomm isn't really as necessary as they claim they are. But I'm totally out of the loop with this modem quality issue everyone's talking about, and IDK what modem I have.