Apple Considering Offering Rebates to Customers Who Purchased Full-Price iPhone Batteries

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is considering providing rebates to customers who purchased full-price iPhones before its reduced-cost $29 battery replacements were made available, reports Recode.

Apple confirmed that it is exploring the option following an inquiry from U.S. Senator John Thune, who asked whether Apple would offer rebates to customers who had already purchased new batteries at higher prices.

Has Apple explored whether consumers who paid the full, non-discounted price for a replacement batter in an effort to restore performance should be allowed to seek a rebate for some of the purchase price?"
Apple vice president for public policy Cynthia Hogan answered Thune's inquiry today and said that Apple is indeed looking into whether a rebate program can be provided to customers. "Yes, we are exploring this and will update you accordingly," she told Thune.

Apple began offering customers with an iPhone 6 and newer low-cost $29 battery replacements starting in December following outrage over the company's decision to introduce an iPhone-slowing power management feature in older devices.

Though the power management feature was first introduced in iOS 10.2.1 early in 2017, the details behind how it works were not fully discovered or explained by Apple until December. As it turns out, in older devices with degraded batteries, the power management feature can result in processor throttling at times of peak usage. Replacing the battery in affected devices solves the problem.

When Apple made $29 battery replacements available to customers in late December it also provided some customers who had already made a purchase with refunds, but the company limited refunds to batteries purchased on or after December 14. Customers who purchased a replacement battery before December 14 at the full $79 price have not been able to get their money back.

Should Apple make a rebate program available to customers who previously made a battery purchase, it would presumably cover customers who purchased replacement batteries earlier in the year.

Article Link: Apple Considering Offering Rebates to Customers Who Purchased Full-Price iPhone Batteries

Reactions: MrUNIMOG

Appleaker

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2016
‘replacement batter’ in the quote.

They should also be considering the permanent price reduction for these replacements. At $29, there is little reason not to do it every year. Having said that, the better solution would just be to develop and use emerging battery technologies that solve this (at least for a few more years) but that always seems to be out of reach and something we’ll see in the future. If there was dedication and funding to develop a particular new battery technology, I’m sure it could be done within a couple of years.

PastaPrimav

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2017
This is ridiculous. Apple needs new leadership if this is how they are operating now. This is a non-issue. It never needed to be an issue. If Tim Cook had just kept his mouth shut, this would have faded away and Apple engineers could continue to do their job.

Tim has blown tons of cash and good faith on this issue. He's a joke.

justperry

macrumors G4
Aug 10, 2007
Home is everywhere and nowhere.

Apple is considering providing rebates to customers who purchased full-price iPhones before its reduced-cost $29 battery replacements were made available, reports Recode.

Apple confirmed that it is exploring the option following an inquiry from U.S. Senator John Thune, who asked whether Apple would offer rebates to customers who had already purchased new batteries at higher prices.

Apple vice president for public policy Cynthia Hogan answered Thune's inquiry today and said that Apple is indeed looking into whether a rebate program can be provided to customers. "Yes, we are exploring this and will update you accordingly," she told Thune.

Should Apple make a rebate program available to customers who previously made a battery purchase, it would presumably cover customers who purchased replacement batteries earlier in the year.

Article Link: Apple Considering Offering Rebates to Customers Who Purchased Full-Price iPhone Batteries
This should be the whole story instead of recapping old news over and over and over again and again and......

justperry

macrumors G4
Aug 10, 2007
The only time Apple 'considers' doing the right thing is when lawyers or government officials come calling.
What is right?
The only thing Apple did wrong was not being transparent on this 'issue'.
Batteries degrade, common knowledge.
Maybe Apple should allow 3rd party battery replacements or make it permanently cheaper, €85+ is just too much.

Reactions: MrUNIMOG

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
I'd be impressed if Apple would compensate those who purchased iPhone 8 because of recommendations to do so by Apple Geniuses, from their previous iPhone due to the effects of the battery / performance throttling.

Reactions: Piggie

SnarkyBear

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2014
What is right?
Maybe Apple should allow 3rd party battery replacements or make it permanently cheaper, €85+ is just too much.
The only thing Apple did wrong was profit handsomely on sales of new iPhones, since people believed that their older phones were outdated instead of intentionally being slowed down.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
I'd be impressed if Apple would compensate those who purchased iPhone 8 because of recommendations to do so by Apple Geniuses, from their previous iPhone due to the effects of the battery / performance throttling.
Exactly.
There could have been many many people who looked at how slow their old phone was working.
Listened to Apple's staff totally denying they did anything to slow the phone, so assumed, well, I guess it's just getting old, and I need to buy a brand new phone.
Only to find out a few months later a $29 battery was all they really needed.

MrBat

macrumors regular
May 11, 2017
What is right?
Apple was quite on the wrong side. The problem became a problem because Apple decided for the customers to slow down the phone instead of being honest about the battery issue (like in the macbooks?), when battery needed replacement. Something as "simple" as a battery health status notification would have prevented this all.

Random average iPhone user with a bad battery gets a notification: Battery is degraded. Replacement advised to regain full iPhone performance.

Something as simple as a notification, like this one above, would have prevented many headaches. ;)

Other phone companies don't do that? Sure. As far as we know, no other company slows down the phones though. If battery is bad, they just shut down, so you change the battery and move on with life.

justperry

macrumors G4
Aug 10, 2007
The only thing Apple did wrong was profit handsomely on sales of new iPhones, since people believed that their older phones were outdated instead of intentionally being slowed down.
So, you want your iPhone to crash, batteries degrade as I said earlier, it's common knowledge, maybe those people should have tried a new battery here.
I think most of the people which have those battery problems are the ones which use their iPhones heavily, charging them twice or more a day, after 1 year such heavy usage will degrade the battery, change the battery.

tkanyc

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2014
Customers who purchased a replacement battery before December 14 at the full $79 price have not been able to get their money back.
I received a refund from Apple on my $79 iPhone 6 battery replacement from early September. They credited me the amount, then charged me $29.

justperry

macrumors G4
Aug 10, 2007
Apple was quite on the wrong side. The problem became a problem because Apple decided for the customers to slow down the phone instead of being honest about the battery issue (like in the macbooks?), when battery needed replacement. Something as "simple" as a battery health status notification would have prevented this all.

Random average iPhone user with a bad battery gets a notification: Battery is degraded. Replacement advised to regain full iPhone performance.

Something as simple as a notification, like this one above, would have prevented many headaches. ;)

Other phone companies don't do that? Sure. As far as we know, no other company slows down the phones though. If battery is bad, they just shut down, so you change the battery and move on with life.
Don't know where I read it, but other companies do the same, and on Laptops it's done all the time.
As for the other points you mention, read my last post.

mi7chy

macrumors 603
Oct 24, 2014
All batteries degrade over time but they degrade at rates depending on quality. Quality Japanese cells tend to degrade after 2 to 3 years while Chinese batteries tend to degrade after 1 year. One good thing out of this incident is Apple considering switching away from Chinese 1 year cell to something better quality. It may cost a few dollars more upfront but saves a lot more in the long run from brand reputation and avoiding having to replace phones that get damaged while trying to unglue the battery for replacement.

Last edited:

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
So, you want your iPhone to crash, batteries degrade as I said earlier, it's common knowledge, maybe those people should have tried a new battery here.
I think most of the people which have those battery problems are the ones which use their iPhones heavily, charging them twice or more a day, after 1 year such heavy usage will degrade the battery, change the battery.
Not everyone maybe as knowledgeable as you when it comes to battery + performance. Also, Apple Geniuses, in some cases, actually advised people they should upgrade their phone.

"Should have tried a new battery"
The performance degradation, in some cases, did start before the battery reached the 80% threshold ( or whatever it is ), so Apple Geniuses would have refused the battery replacement because their diagnostic tool would have told them the battery was good.

Apple's lack of transparency AND customer service was definitely as issue.

Last edited:

shareef777

Suspended
Jul 26, 2005
Chicago, IL

Absolutely, perfectly stated.

How so many people lack this level of basic common sense is beyond me.

MrBat

macrumors regular
May 11, 2017
Don't know where I read it, but other companies do the same, and on Laptops it's done all the time.
As for the other points you mention, read my last post.
On laptops it's done all the time? Which laptops in particular are you talking about?

I had a few laptops actually. When battery is bad on a laptop, the time you can run on battery is shorter or the laptop just does not turn on, unless power cord is plugged in. That's how a laptop with a bad battery usually behaves.

As for other points you mention, not sure which ones you may be specifically referring to. I'm afraid you'll have to be a bit more specific.

Reactions: mi7chy

A7ibaba

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2012
Sweden
Man in black suits coming for you Apple. You wont be saved with these cheap-skits 29$ tricks.

BootsWalking

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2014
What is right?
Batteries degrade but no iPhone other than the 6 has an issue where that degradation causes the phone to intermittently shut down under peak load. On other iPhones the only symptom of the degradation is reduced battery life. There is an obvious design flaw in the iPhone 6 which Apple still refuses to admit.

justperry

macrumors G4
Aug 10, 2007
All batteries degrade over time but they degrade at rates depending on quality. Quality Japanese cells tend to degrade after 2 to 3 years while Chinese batteries tend to degrade after 1 year. One good thing out of this incident is Apple considering switching away from Chinese 1 year cell to something better quality. It may cost a few dollars more upfront but saves a lot more in the long run from brand reputation and avoiding having to replace phones that get damaged while trying to unglue the battery for replacement.
You may have a point, but I and neither you do know what quality batteries Apple uses.

Batteries degrade but no iPhone other than the 6 has an issue where that degradation causes the phone to intermittently shut down under peak load. On other iPhones the only symptom of the degradation is reduced battery life. There is an obvious design flaw in the iPhone 6 which Apple still refuses to admit.
Wasn't that the 6S?!

On laptops it's done all the time? Which laptops in particular are you talking about?

I had a few laptops actually. When battery is bad on a laptop, the time you can run on battery is shorter or the laptop just does not turn on, unless power cord is plugged in. That's how a laptop with a bad battery usually behaves.

As for other points you mention, not sure which ones you may be specifically referring to. I'm afraid you'll have to be a bit more specific.
As far as I know CPU's throttle on Laptops, that's default behaviour, but, you might switch that off.

FasterQuieter

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2008
It is amazing to me that it took from January to December for anyone outside of Apple to figure out this was happening. It makes me wonder if the degradation in performance isn't anywhere near as bad as the benchmarks would have us believe. I feel like I would have noticed if my phone lost 50% of its speed overnight. If people thought it was the OS upgrade i would have expected a more vocal response about that.

Reactions: mudflap

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
All batteries degrade over time but they degrade at rates depending on quality. Quality Japanese cells tend to degrade after 2 to 3 years while Chinese batteries tend to degrade after 1 year.
What tech Manufacturers are you aware that uses Japanese cell batteries when it comes Smart phones, smart watches, etc.? More specifically, Products available in the U.S.?

Reactions: mudflap