Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrBat

macrumors regular
May 11, 2017
As far as I know CPU's throttle on Laptops, that's default behaviour, but, you might switch that off.

Overheating CPU or GPU do thermal throttle. When heatsinks + fans (or any other cooling system in place) can't keep up dissipating heat, the CPU or GPU will throttle to keep itself alive. That's not quite the point of this discussion here though. ;)

Reactions: Raist3001

Krio

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2009
How about those who purchased new iPhones?

They deserve a rebate as well. They thought their phone was defective or out-of-date when they experience heavy lag due to throttle that wasn't disclosed.

(Source: I'm one of these customers)

Same here. Had no plans to update our phones, but my wife's phone 6S+ became unusable under 40% and my 6S kept dying around 20%.

Ended up getting iPhone 8's over Thanksgiving only to have it revealed new batteries would have solved our problems.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Overheating CPU or GPU do thermal throttle. When heatsinks + fans (or any other cooling system in place) can't keep up dissipating heat, the CPU or GPU will throttle to keep itself alive. That's not quite the point of this discussion here though. ;)

Isn't there a setting in Windows to set for longer lasting battery or performance, guess what, that throttles the CPU/GPU.

Oh, and most consumers/average Joe's aren't even aware of this, so isn't this more or less the same.

mcdspncr

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2011
My girlfriend and I bought the 6s (her) and 6s+ day one when released. A year later Apple announced free battery replacements for the 6s but not the 6s+, so we got her’s replaced. But my phone continued to crash and suffer the exact same issues she was experiencing before the replacement. Talked to Apple last March and I ended up paying full price for replacement despite their diagnostics saying there was no problem.
I absolutely want a refund. And not just the difference between full price and $29, but a full refund. The 6s+ battery should have been recalled at the same time as the 6s. And now to hear they are “considering” issuing a partial refund? Apple customer service used to mean something...
[doublepost=1517943780][/doublepost]
Batteries degrade but no iPhone other than the 6 has an issue where that degradation causes the phone to intermittently shut down under peak load.

6s degradation caused shut downs, hence they issued a recall. The 6 wasn’t the only one.

Reactions: Onexy and mi7chy

Apple Knowledge Navigator

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2010
What make this all the more funny is that, had the issue not gone 'public' and to court in the first place, Apple would still happily be controlling the iPhone battery and we'd be still be paying full price for replacements. And to those who raised the issue without it gaining traction, their response was simple; like it or lump it.

DA Lavery

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2017
Belfast, Northern Ireland
I replaced my battery at full price late November. So far I have got nowhere trying to get Apple to refund me the difference between the discounted battery and the full price I paid. Apple Customer Service suggested I write to their European HQ in Cork. I did so and they didn’t even have the courtesy to reply to my letter. This is a disgraceful example of a company that’s losing its touch.

Reactions: Stella

H. Flower

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
Again, the critical mistake Apple made was in telling customers their batteries were fine when they weren't, and never bringing up battery replacement as solution.

This happened to both my father, his wife and 2 of my friends. Each ones complains to me they've lost trust in Apple.

if this small sample rate is any indication, this breach of trust will hit both iOS adoption rates and phone sales.
[doublepost=1517945576][/doublepost]
Same here. Had no plans to update our phones, but my wife's phone 6S+ became unusable under 40% and my 6S kept dying around 20%.

Ended up getting iPhone 8's over Thanksgiving only to have it revealed new batteries would have solved our problems.

Apparently a lot of people here have no clue how livid some customers are over this....

Reactions: psac

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
Apple should just turn batteries into a subscription model for future phones. Just like people need to replace razors, toothbrush heads and other consumables.

Reactions: Wanted797

MrBat

macrumors regular
May 11, 2017
Isn't there a setting in Windows to set for longer lasting battery or performance, guess what, that throttles the CPU/GPU.

Oh, and most consumers/average Joe's aren't even aware of this, so isn't this more or less the same.

I'm afraid that, once again, you sorely miss the point...

Battery management in Windows, gives you the Option to fine tune battery usage.

Where did the iPhone allowed a battery management option on the end-user side? Ah, it did not... Apple in all its unfathomable wisdom, decided what was "best" for all of us mere mortals. ;)

Sure there's many uneducated Joes out there. What about those that are a bit more knowledgeable or like to seek knowledge? Too bad for them huh? ;)

I've to say, this forum is populated with incredibly amusing folk. :D

Reactions: Raist3001

GREEN4U

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2010
People should dig a hole in the middle of the Apple Spaceship and put Cook down there. Then they should hurl their defective batteries at his head like a good ol' fashioned stoning. Just don't forget to pay for parking on the way out.

kaneda

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2001
What is right?
The only thing Apple did wrong was not being transparent on this 'issue'.
Batteries degrade, common knowledge.
Maybe Apple should allow 3rd party battery replacements or make it permanently cheaper, €85+ is just too much.

My iphone 4 (hasn't change battery) can play NBA Jams for 20 mins before dying. My iphone 6 after a year, wish it can last that long.

clauzzz203

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2012
Source: https://9to5mac.com/2018/02/06/how-to-ios-11-3-battery-health-and-battery-throttling-disabling/

'Apple says that it will automatically re-enable performance management each time the device unexpectedly shuts down.

This feature is not a permanent toggle that you can disable once and forget about it. If you never want to be throttled, you will have to go back into the Battery Health screen and repeatedly disable it each time.
'

But wait, there's more. Apple is not done screwing us, folks.

MrBat

macrumors regular
May 11, 2017
Source: https://9to5mac.com/2018/02/06/how-to-ios-11-3-battery-health-and-battery-throttling-disabling/

'Apple says that it will automatically re-enable performance management each time the device unexpectedly shuts down.

This feature is not a permanent toggle that you can disable once and forget about it. If you never want to be throttled, you will have to go back into the Battery Health screen and repeatedly disable it each time.
'

But wait, there's more. Apple is not done screwing us, folks.

I'm ok with that, as long as you are notified that the phone will throttle and to prevent this, you should change your battery for a new one. :)

Now this would be a proper: Working as intended.

ronno

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2014
Now they need to do something about the people who bought a new phone because they didn't know wtf was going on with the throttling, and thus thought their phones were "dying."
(And no thanks to the Apple store "geniuses" who also had no clue about the throttling.)
[doublepost=1517954560][/doublepost]

And what if you brought this theoretical Windows machine in repair shop for slowness and were told by the manufacturer that you need to purchase a new machine - instead of simply replacing the battery?

Reactions: clauzzz203

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
All this slowdown means u really need an engineering degree just to operate an iPhone..

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
And what if you brought this theoretical Windows machine in repair shop for slowness and were told by the manufacturer that you need to purchase a new machine - instead of simply replacing the battery?

The manufacture would have more sense.

reggavegga

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2009
Same here my wife took her 6 in and had the battery changed for 85.00 bucks 79.00 plus tax on Oct. 14th. We have tried twice to get a partial refund but no go. They told us after Dec. 14th for partial refund. We spent quite a long time in the store and at one point left and came back later when battery was done. I could understand if we bought a battery in say Feb. but 2 months earlier than the deadline of Dec 14th. A partial refund would be nice.

SnarkyBear

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2014
So, you want your iPhone to crash, batteries degrade as I said earlier, it's common knowledge, maybe those people should have tried a new battery here.
I think most of the people which have those battery problems are the ones which use their iPhones heavily, charging them twice or more a day, after 1 year such heavy usage will degrade the battery, change the battery.

I rarely use more than 50% of my battery daily and recharge my phone every night. I am not overly concerned with the battery issues. I AM concerned with how my apps are slow to open, how they lag when I use them, and how I get so frustrated with it's slowness that I get the urge to throw it against the wall.

Apple forced this change, and I was within a few days of buying a new phone when the news came out of the throttling. Now I cannot wait for the iOS update that will allow me to return the speed to my phone that I got used to.

I can believe that Apple's executives thought that slowing things down would help the battery...but I also believe that the prospect of uninformed consumers buying new phones was also considered a win by these same executives. I do not believe that the silence of the update was an accident.

Last edited:
Reactions: clauzzz203

doctor-don

macrumors 68000
Dec 26, 2008
Georgia USA
If battery longevity is an issue, then provide customer / owner access to the battery and ensure that Apple certified batteries are available at a decent price (eliminating those knock-offs that might function a month and / or burst into flames).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.