Apple cost 200% more than Dell in Hardware

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by cosmokanga2, Jun 27, 2008.

1. cosmokanga2 macrumors 6502a

cosmokanga2

Link

I know, another Dell vs. Apple article, but hardware wise, not OS or design, what are your thoughts?

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Based on the title, you'd think that a MacBook is $1099, so an equivalent Dell should be $550.

Everyone knows that Apple's upgrades are pricey, and on a MacBook where you can replace your own memory and HD, the comparison is basically moot. Since the prices of 3rd party devices are the same for both.

3. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

and every dell computer ive had has literally fallen apart, whats your point?

4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Yeah, really. As a Mac user, upgrade costs are around the same, so from my perspective, things are OK. Also, while I do consider myself a rather heavy user, I don't need the number of ports and such that some techies want. Give me 2 USB ports, FW, and enough RAM, and I'm good to go.

I like Macs because they do exactly what I need them to do, and reliably. Give me another port, card reader, blue-ray, etc, and my life doesn't change at all. My usage doesn't change, and the type of work I need to do doesn't change. Personally, I just wouldn't feel the added value of including more stuff. I like the laptops how they are now, but I do wish the 15" MBP had a 1680 x 1050 resolution. That's all I'm waiting for.

Saying a Mac laptop (MB, MBP, or MBA) is too expensive is like saying your watch is too expensive. According to the people who think a MB or MBP is a total rip-off, unless you paid $5 for your watch, you got ripped off. Lets face it.....a watch tells time. That's it. It doesn't display your movies, play all your music, run Monte Carlo simulations for 200 hours, cancer research, do your taxes, or anything that a computer could help you achieve. You could have paid $5 for any digital watch, but you probably don't own a $5 watch. If you paid over $15, you paid WAAAAY over 200% more for a watch that does the same thing. Loser.

I may be able to save money by buying a Dell with Vista installed, but it wouldn't be the same experience, and it certainly wouldn't be as nice. I use Windows all the time, and it isn't the same. I guess the same people who would buy a Dell with Vista rather than a Mac because Macs are a ripoff are also getting ripped off. After all, Linux is free, and is rather capable as well. So did we all get ripped off? No. To me, Linux is an OS that can't gain marketshare even when they give it away for free. Sorry, but I use Linux fairly often, and I don't feel ripped off by owning my Mac. Hell no.

5. djellison macrumors 68020

Where as every Dell machine I've had ( several ) has done great, and my Macbook keyboard fell apart, the arrow keys stopped working, this Macbookpro I'm on is put together like a lego toy, and it's PSU died yesterday.

Doug

6. consumedsoul macrumors regular

Agree...

Yeap... we've owned both for the past 4-5 yrs and the Windows machines we're always needing to upgrade to keep current or replace every year, whereas our Macs just chug along nicely for 2-4 yrs depending on the machine.

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I've only bought 2 monitors from them and they've never been 100%. Whereas I've bought a couple of iMacs, a PowerBook and many iPods and never so much as a dead pixel or any fault whatsoever.

I like paying a bit extra (or not in one iMac and Powerbook case where I paid less for a same spec machine from Dell or Sony) to guarantee quality.

8. spamdumpster macrumors 6502a

Ok, so don't buy an SSD and don't buy RAM from Apple, and consider an external drive rather than an upgrade of the internal.

Anything new here?

9. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Easy enough to find users that have had a bad Dell and users that have had a bad time with Apple hardware.

Chevy or Ford
    Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts
    Yankees or Red Sox
    Ginger or Mary Ann

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

10. nick9191 macrumors 68040

And Dell are going to the dogs as they are selling cheap products in a highly competitive market with a negligible profit margin.

I'll say it again, Dell products are terrible.

Lets compare the Inspiron and the Latitude, the Inspiron is far cheaper with better specs, the Latitude (business laptop range) cost a lot more for worse specs. One word, QUALITY. I would not feed an Inspiron to my ass.

11. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

200% more means 3x the cost.

12. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Which is exactly what the article shows in the first two examples.

13. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

did you read the post two years ago when a MB owner had to exchange his MB 5 times and still got a bad one?
    Using individual cases to make extremely evaluations is not credible.

The fact is, apple hardwares are from same factory somewhere in the world as Dell's. To keep making false myth about apple providing "much higher quality hardwares", is simply misleading and dishonest.

14. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I don't understand this thread...

A Dell with specs comparable to a MacBook costs around $200 more.

If all these people are doing is looking over upgrade costs, then they're not really looking at anything meaningful.

15. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Could we have a comparison of the cost to upgrade from four cores to eight cores? Just to take something that makes Dell look outrageously bad. On the other hand you could compare the savings when downgrading your high-end workstation from eight cores to four cores, and Dell has much bigger savings.

The comparison is actually stupid. Every manufacturer designs a pricing structure for their items. Within that structure, looking at the price of a hard drive update is pointless for a price comparison; you'd need to compare the price of two competing laptops with small hard drives, or the price of two competing laptops with big hard drives. Comparing the difference between small and big hard drives between two manufacturers is pointless. Take two products that you like equally much, and compare their prices.

16. ImNoSuperMan macrumors 65816

ImNoSuperMan

Oh no. Not again. There are already too many threads stating Apple is costlier than Dell. Is that all what is left to discuss in MR. Yeah its expensive. So what. People still are buying a lot of MACs. And a very big portion of them is new customers.(how else would Mac market share be increasing). It means there are a lot of people who think Apple is good value for money. Thereby contradicting the statement that apple is costlier.

17. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Neither, neither, neither, Mary Ann.

18. The Hammer macrumors regular

Chevy Tim Hortons Blue Jays and Mary Anne.

19. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Yeah, on upgrades. Only on upgrades. The cost of a Apple laptop isn't 3x greater than the equivalent Dell laptop.

20. minik macrumors 65816

MacBook vs. DELL XPS M1330? I will pick the DELL without a question. Apple really needs to re-do the MacBook line.

21. asphyxiafeeling macrumors regular

asphyxiafeeling

apple fanboys aside

apple needs to change their prices to stay competitive.

people are arguing that dells fall apart.

if you take CARE of your PC, it can easily last you a long time. just because it's windows doesn't mean it isn't good.

Dell's new Studio line DESTROYS apple in terms of pricing. you can get a $999 studio laptop with features that are comparable/superior to the $1999 MBP.

that is a FACT.

i realize that we pay a premium for a rock solid OS and good applications. but honestly. half the price for almost better features. windows isn't THAT bad.

perhaps macbooks should go down to the 799-999 range, and MBPs to the 1699-1999 range?

that's fair. STILL fairly more expensive then a comparable windows PC, so you can still have your good iFeeling of paying alot for your product.

22. barnettebw macrumors newbie

But Dell is crap. Which would be why it is so cheap.

23. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

Resale value. That Dell will be worthless in no time flat.

24. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

I dont think people are understanding the article. Theyre upgrades, not base prices. Upgrades are physical items and cost the same for both companies, Apple doesnt have to pay 3 times as much as Dell for crappy generic ram but they still charge the consumer 3 times as much. Plus Dell frequently has free ram upgrades.

They are only pointing out how Apple is ripping people off with the upgrades, it has nothing to do with how much the stock computers cost. People here may know that Apple's ram prices are insane, but regular consumers dont, especially when apple employees try to force them into buying ram from apple through scare tactics like it voids your warranty or you need ram specifically made for macs (both of which are untrue). Plus how many people would tell their grandma to go buy 2gbs of DDR2 5600 ram from some website and install it herself?

25. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I bought my iMac at BestBuy last March. I asked the Apple rep for 2GB ram since it only came with one. I didn't even think that they would be selling me the Apple ram so I paid for my iMac and ram and left the store. I installed the ram and it was after that I realized they charged me $199 for the 2GB. It was too late and I had the memory installed so I didn't worry about it much. Like you said, they hope to take advantage of people who are buying new computers and who don't ask about buying a non Apple brand of memory and they make a ton of money out of it.