Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac Fly (film)

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2006
Ireland
I don't have a college degree in marketing. but I'm 100% sure! that the number 1 most imortant thing in marketing.. is to have a great product! the majority of people are not stupid

There are plenty of junk products that succeed with marketing.

DevNull0

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2015
Applicants must submit a cover letter, resume and examples of design, marketing or advertising that show a "talent or passion for communication." Applications will only be accepted from October 3 to November 4, and a selection committee will review all applications and screen applicants via FaceTime.

Maybe I should submit my portfolio. I think this definitely shows my "talent and passion for communication".

stooges.jpg

Naaaaak

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2010
How about investing in some more engineers? Or try to find a Jobsian-like figure -- a head of product direction who will put his foot down and has absolute authority to say "NO" to the stupid things they've been doing?

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Reactions: Brandhouse

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
The engagement is 6 months.

https://jobs.apple.com/us/search?#specs&ss=the Orchard&t=0&so=&lo=0*USA&pN=0&openJobId=52088763

For up and coming people it's a great opportunity .

Yup. And contrary to the post I was responding to saying it is "6 months of free labor" (you know, because Apple is greedy, buh blah, buh blah, buh blah...), Apple does pay a competitive salary and relocation expenses.

Quite an excellent opportunity for anyone starting out. And after six months, I suspect those who show promise and ambition might get an offer for permanent employment.

Amazing how some here will just makes stuff up in order to bash Apple. So much hate...

Tycho24

Suspended
Aug 29, 2014
Florida
Aka we need a bunch of college kids to work 75 hrs a week to make $25k a year

Lol, why the multiple people commenting like this?????
It's SUPER weird. There is nobody out there saying that Apple pays their (non store personnel) employees poorly. That's not even a myth.... like literally no one has claimed that. Where are you guys getting this??
The article even clearly mentioned a "competitive salary & relocation package". This is NOT an unpaid internship.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
Lol, why the multiple people commenting like this?????
It's SUPER weird. There is nobody out there saying that Apple pays their (non store personnel) employees poorly. That's not even a myth.... like literally no one has claimed that. Where are you guys getting this??
The article even clearly mentioned a "competitive salary & relocation package". This is NOT an unpaid internship.

I think it's because it helps people (who might not have much going on in their lives) to feel good about themselves when they can trash some one or some company.

Reactions: CB1234 and Tycho24

JamesPDX

Suspended
Aug 26, 2014
USA
How about investing in some more engineers? Or try to find a Jobsian-like figure -- a head of product direction who will put his foot down and has absolute authority to say "NO" to the stupid things they've been doing?

The new young engineers are probably heading to where the AI and chemical/biomedical jobs are. Which probably means not Apple. It's rather disappointing that Apple is apparently prizing form and marketing over functionality and R & D. The good news? Uh...:rolleyes:

btbeme

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2010
Marketing?

The very best marketing Apple can get - and has EVER had - was word of mouth from satisfied customers. Many of us have absolutely bled from our eyes for over 20 years trying to convince our family and friends to invest in their products.

And the latest crop of irregular, incomplete, overpriced, underpowered, poorly planned, badly executed, recalcitrant, excused, overly cute products has, alas, shot our beloved company in the foot. Or maybe in the gonads.

Apple has left the tracks. Who is going to step up and tell Tim Cook that he will not be missed after he is fired?

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
The new young engineers are probably heading to where the AI and chemical/biomedical jobs are. Which probably means not Apple. It's rather disappointing that Apple is apparently prizing form and marketing over functionality and R & D. The good news? Uh...:rolleyes:

Really? How did you leap to that conclusion?

Uni Grad

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2015
Bloomberg News
Talk about marketing, when their own marketing is **** - in reference to "The Orchard" logo. It would've been far better to use a lighter version of San Francisco, than this bold version, as the leaf of the apple is awkwardly placed.

btbeme

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2010
Remember when Tim Cook invited that gimp form Intel onto the stage wearing the bunny suit? Or the flustered, uncomfortable scripted moment when U2 gave away their music to every iCloud account?

Tim Cook thought that was brilliant marketing.

Operations? Yes! I was there when Tim was given the command to streamline the company and make it work. He gutted, stripped, and rebuilt supply lines as if he was born to do it, and he was.

CEO and chief visionary? NO! And the last 5 years have proven Tim to be great at numbers but L O U S Y at inspiration, consumer vision, or anything else except making the company "green and inclusive."

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Yup. And contrary to the post I was responding to saying it is "6 months of free labor" (you know, because Apple is greedy, buh blah, buh blah, buh blah...), Apple does pay a competitive salary and relocation expenses.

Quite an excellent opportunity for anyone starting out. And after six months, I suspect those who show promise and ambition might get an offer for permanent employment.

Amazing how some here will just makes stuff up in order to bash Apple. So much hate...

You are correct. 5am here so I missed the actual point, need a coffee.

It's an excellent opportunity, not for the money or duration, but putting apple on the resume. At the end of the day when people get hired, the names on the resume have a huge impact.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
Remember when Tim Cook invited that gimp form Intel onto the stage wearing the bunny suit? Or the flustered, uncomfortable scripted moment when U2 gave away their music to every iCloud account?

Tim Cook thought that was brilliant marketing.

Operations? Yes! I was there when Tim was given the command to streamline the company and make it work. He gutted, stripped, and rebuilt supply lines as if he was born to do it, and he was.

CEO and chief visionary? NO! And the last 5 years have proven Tim to be great at numbers but L O U S Y at inspiration, consumer vision, or anything else except making the company "green and inclusive."

"And the last 5 years have proven Tim to be great at numbers but L O U S Y at inspiration, consumer vision, or anything else except making the company "green and inclusive."

Really? How is it that in 2011 sales of iPhones were averaging around 17 million units per quarter (and far less in previous years), but in 2016 sales are averaging around 55 million units per quarter?

Maybe it's because Apple dramatically lowered iPhone prices enabling huge growth in numbers of people buying iPhones who would otherwise not be able to buy one? /s

Last edited:
Reactions: hobspain

otternonsense

Suspended
Jul 25, 2016
Berlin
They are. See the famous reality distortion field.

I'll digress that the reality distortion field isn't an Apple thing but a Steve Jobs thing. A lot of consumers have found themselves disenfranchised with Apple's latest attempts (or lack thereof).
[doublepost=1475736314][/doublepost]
"
Really? How is it that in 2011 sales of iPhones were averaging around 17 million units per quarter (and far less in previous years), but in 2016 sales are averaging around 55 million units per quarter?

Maybe it's because Apple dramatically lowered iPhone prices enabling huge growth in numbers of people buying iPhones who would otherwise not be able to buy one? /s

Or maybe you can trace it back to ecosystem lock-in, lack of convincing alternatives, and the (c.a. 2014) appeal of a larger display. But where do you actually witness inspiration or consumer vision? When the iPhone 7 has every reviewer and user out there going "yea it still looks the same but I'll bite". An iOS 10 that looks and acts like Symbian on an iPhone 3G. When the entire Mac product line has gone belly up. Or Cook's bloviated "wireless future" that's riddled with more wires and dependencies than ever.

If your corporate incentive is based on repeat customers who will buy just about anything you release, well, just don't call yourself an innovative tech company.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
I'll digress that the reality distortion field isn't an Apple thing but a Steve Jobs thing. A lot of consumers have found themselves disenfranchised with Apple's latest attempts (or lack thereof).
[doublepost=1475736314][/doublepost]

Or maybe you can trace it back to ecosystem lock-in, lack of convincing alternatives, and the (c.a. 2014) appeal of a larger display. But where do you actually witness inspiration or consumer vision? When the iPhone 7 has every reviewer and user out there going "yea it still looks the same but I'll bite". An iOS 10 that looks and acts like Symbian on an iPhone 3G. When the entire Mac product line has gone belly up. Or Cook's bloviated "wireless future" that's riddled with more wires and dependencies than ever.

If your corporate incentive is based on repeat customers who will buy just about anything you release, well, just don't call yourself an innovative tech company.

Sounds like for you innovation is more about form. Rather than the underlying hardware and software tech under the hood. That's fine. I'm much more interested in the tech below the surface. I have no interest in coveting phones the

"But where do you actually witness inspiration or consumer vision? When the iPhone 7 has every reviewer and user out there going "yea it still looks the same but I'll bite"."

Also seems you put a lot of weight on tech press "journalists" whose real goal is to generate controversy and clicks. That's OK too. Consumer vision? What do you recommend? Be specific. And what should the end result be, an additional 55million phones sold per quarter?

"A lot of consumers have found themselves disenfranchised with Apple's latest attempts (or lack thereof)."

Perhaps some consumers, especially the dozen or two here that have been railing against Apple since the iPod was released. And then having to suffer through a six year drought of "no innovation" before the next big thing, with Apple apparently not doing anything in the background.

OTOH, for 2016 55million people will open their wallet every quarter and buy an iPhone. Many here who are angry with Apple will dismiss them as sheep, uninformed, or ignorant, but that really says a lot more about those holding others in judgment.

Last edited:

hobspain

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2010
I'm grateful about this thread. I got pissed of so much nonsense and hate that by chance discovered that you can actually IGNORE users in this forum!. Click on the profile name, "Ignore", and all the posts disappear instantly. Marvellous!.

I am even fair and take a quick glance at the fist line of post of these users and unequivocally it's the same hate rap every time. Now they are invisible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.