Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SeattleMoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2009
Der Wald
No worries...it is not 1984 any more and the government will only look for "reasons of national security".

If you have nothing to hide then......:rolleyes:

BeforeTheMeds

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2016
Edomx, MX
I literally don't know one Australian that talks like that. A number of those words aren't even Strine (Australian Broad Accent and Slang).

Crocodile Dundee.

Actually though I never heard it from the aussie squids I drank an ocean of beer with way back there. Didn’t in freemantle either.

[doublepost=1539540443][/doublepost]
The Australian Conservatives have gone nuts, too far to the right for mainstream Australia, I'm not voting for the Conservative Liberal Party at the next election.

Heh, australia right wing. That’s funny.

MEJHarrison

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
Don’t forget, this site harvests then sells all your user info and personal data too.

I just checked my account. They have a login name & password, an email address and a birthday. That's all the personal information I've given up. My of my profile is blank. So if they are selling my data, they don't have much to sell.

DVD9

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2010
I just checked my account. They have a login name & password, an email address and a birthday. That's all the personal information I've given up. My of my profile is blank. So if they are selling my data, they don't have much to sell.

That's what you've given them voluntarily. What they have actually culled from you is unknown.

Reactions: Marekul

MEJHarrison

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
That's what you've given them voluntarily. What they have actually culled from you is unknown.

You've left the door wide open there. Is this just general paranoia or do you have some specific examples? Also, I'm a web developer. I know and understand What every Browser knows about you (that site will show you what they know about you just from what your browser shares and how to fix any leaks you don't want). What else might they know?
[doublepost=1539549441][/doublepost]
How about you take your own advice?

My advice? You're saying I should contact the owners of the site if I have a problem with my post? That doesn't even make sense.

Marekul

Suspended
Jan 2, 2018
You've left the door wide open there. Is this just general paranoia or do you have some specific examples? Also, I'm a web developer. I know and understand What every Browser knows about you (that site will show you what they know about you just from what your browser shares and how to fix any leaks you don't want). What else might they know?
[doublepost=1539549441][/doublepost]

My advice? You're saying I should contact the owners of the site if I have a problem with my post? That doesn't even make sense.

Data is sold to aggregators, sum of it is where danger lies. Wrong people could get ahold of this data and abuse it. Maybe even some totalitarian political regime. Of course if all you do is play WOW or Fortnite in mums basement you will have nothing to fear, worst case is bad credit or overcharge on online purchases.

About your second question, if you want to play forum police you gotta take the heat that comes with it. If you want to have a debate however, pleas put some minimu effort into it. Looking up the video on YouTube would have taken same time as posting the forum rules.

harrisondavies

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2010
Newcastle upon Tyne
It’s official. Tim Cook even mentioned it in his last interview. Of course you have to listen closely.

I don’t believe for one minute, Apple gave the Chinese government access to the broader iCloud System/keys. It’s more likely that Apple created a subset of iCloud, specifically designed for the Chinese and can in no way be used to circumvent the larger worldwide system.
[doublepost=1539552426][/doublepost]
Apple follows the law everywhere. China doesn’t have laws requiring Apple to create a backdoor to their devices. The encryption is the same and the owners of the device has the only keys. Apple has access to any unencrypted data on iCloud but emails and text are encrypted there as well. The US government was trying to force them to weaken security by creating a key for them that we are supposed to believe they could keep safe.

Especially considering for 20 years, the nuclear launch code at the US Minuteman Silo was 8 zeros. Just like that dimwit Kanye, governments can’t keep secrets.

Reactions: dabotsonline

MEJHarrison

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
Looking up the video on YouTube would have taken same time as posting the forum rules.

And following the rules would have taken you as much time as breaking them. Quit trying to make this my fault. Someone asked for a source and you told them to look it up themselves. You're supposed to provide a source when asked. You didn't. This isn't about how much time it would take someone else to validate your claims. I wasn't playing forum police. I was a second party interested in your source and since you had already ignored a direct request from another member, I tried a different approach.

Thanks for the video.

Marekul

Suspended
Jan 2, 2018
I don’t believe for one minute, Apple gave the Chinese government access to the broader iCloud System/keys. It’s more likely that Apple created a subset of iCloud, specifically designed for the Chinese and can in no way be used to circumvent the larger worldwide system.

Apple hasn’t been very transparent on this issue. From official support document we can assume it is dependent on region settings in iOS. But how they ensure separation of data and access, we don’t know.

A simple region setting in iOS or in the backend could severely compromise your iCloud security, that we know.
[doublepost=1539553563][/doublepost]
And following the rules would have taken you as much time as breaking them. Quit trying to make this my fault. Someone asked for a source and you told them to look it up themselves. You're supposed to provide a source when asked. You didn't. This isn't about how much time it would take someone else to validate your claims. I wasn't playing forum police. I was a second party interested in your source and since you had already ignored a direct request from another member, I tried a different approach.

Thanks for the video
Ok point taken i felt like i was specifc enough with referring to Tim cooks latest interview as a source. Will not make that mistake in future sorry for wasting all our times :D

Reactions: MEJHarrison

Brandhouse

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2014
I’m 110% behind Apple on this one. Even if I wasn’t, I still would be - anything to call out the Liberal party on their bull****.

You think the Labor party would do any different? All bills before Parliament as so vague in nature that you could drive a 10' wide bus through them and are left to interpretation and application.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
I love how Apple pretends to be the good guy and I love how people believe it. LOL!

And I love how some people just LOVE to bash everything about Apple, even when there is something positive. You would find such people in large quantities in a site called MacRumors. Often they are called "trolls". I personally know a lot of them around here.

Reactions: MEJHarrison

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
And I love how some people just LOVE to bash everything about Apple, even when there is something positive. You would find such people in large quantities in a site called MacRumors. Often they are called "trolls". I personally know a lot of them around here.

Results speak louder than words. So far the results have been pretty good in this aspect from Apple.

whyamihere

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2008
'nati
Anyone who has a smart speaker in their house should assume the manufacturer is listening to everything that is said because that is what those devices do.

And while that is somewhat concerning for a company interested in making profits off me to have this access/data, I'm still much more concerned with the government having unlimited and unrestricted access to this data since their intentions are much more severe.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
No worries...it is not 1984 any more and the government will only look for "reasons of national security".

If you have nothing to hide then......:rolleyes:

and yet the truth of '1984' by George Orwell came true.. We should be looking forward, not backwards.

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2009
Apple had criticized previously removing encryption in Australia and China. In certain countries like communist countries and countries run by dictatorship they often require a back door. Trump has criticized Huawei and China for this over the last year. the irony and hypocrisy in all of this is if this also becomes the norm in the US. I had previously posted by accident the link in another thread which was not in the PS as I overlooked the thread it was in (proper thread this time. My apologies for wrong thread post prior to this).

https://www.forbes.com/sites/zakdof...crypted-messaging-report-claims/#3b8352c36c87

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.