Apple customer service SUCKS

Discussion in 'iPad' started by rydenfan, May 9, 2011.

1. rydenfan macrumors member

• Ordered my ipad 2 on March 17th

• Finally shipped in the middle of April and when it arrived it should have clearly never passed through QC. Up top where the glass meets the metal the glass was totally rough and unfinished. It was sharp enough that you could could cut your finger on it.

• Apple said they would send a replacement and it would be 2-3 weeks. Even once shipping times improved mine never shipped early.

• the replacement finally arrived today and there is about a 6" scratch down the glass!! i called Apple furious about this and they acted like it was no big deal. They said it would be 1-2 weeks for yet another one.

• This whole time they have been very unhelpful and really do not seem to care. This is a total shift in Apple's care and service. I have been a customer for 15 years and have never been treated like this. Normally it is a foregone conclusion that anything I buy will be Apple, after this experience that is not the case.

2. megsandbytes macrumors member

Wow, the odds of this happening are really slim. Hopefully you'll get a descent unit before the iPad 3 launches lol. All joking aside though, I know it's not fun having to deal with a situation like this. Hopefully third time is a charm.

3. And1ss macrumors 6502a

And1ss

4. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

How do you feel that they are being unhelpful? While I feel for you for getting two lemons but what more do you want them to do? I understand and would be just as upset but not sure what more you are looking for.

5. viperGTS macrumors 65816

why not return to the apple store? you can get replacements very quickly.

6. rydenfan thread starter macrumors member

I have tried all 5 Apple stores in the Boston area and none of them have wifi versions in stock... :(

7. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Apart from the backordered status of the product, I'm missing what upset you.

It doesn't read as if they gave you any hassle with getting replacements, or did I miss where they did?

8. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

I would say that this proves how good Apple support is.

They told you they would replace your defective unit. You get the replacement unit, which is also defective. You are upset because Apple can't send you a replacement unit for a device that is in high demand overnight? This makes no sense. You complained about an issue, they resolved it. You complained about another issue, they are resolving it as fast as they can. You want a customer service employee to fly to China, grab an iPad off the production lines and overnight it to you? Good luck with that. Once LG gets their display manufacturing issues fixed, iPads will be easier to obtain. Just wait it out. You still have an iPad to play with for the meantime, don't you? It works. It just has a scratch on it. I would be freaking out if Apple forced me to keep the scratched unit, but they are sending you a new one. Calm down. :)

9. Thedeathbear macrumors 6502a

The thread should be renamed "Apple QC SUCKS."

10. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

This sounds crazy, call and ask for a manager. I had a problem with my iPad and had a replacement in less than a a week, including shipping both ways.

11. Pballer110 macrumors 6502

I just sent in an iPad 2 with light bleed and got a replacement 4 days later with no problems whatsoever.

12. SRLMJ23 macrumors 65816

SRLMJ23

I've always found Apple Support very good, in fact one of the best in the business.

13. Meanee macrumors 6502a

How good the support is? No, it proves that Apple may think "Yes, we f'd up 2 times, but hey, instead of giving this customer a priority support, we will toss his issue back into general population"

If I was in a position like that, I would not expect a rep fly to China and grab a new one. I would expect them to keep certain number of iPads on a side, and overnight one to the customer.

There's no need to praise them for working to resolve the problem. It's not "good support", it's "expected customer service". And while it's nice and all that they are replacing the 2nd bad unit, they kind of HAVE to. Now, for them to qualify for "good support" title, they need to make sure they go above and beyond customer's expectation. And in a situation like this, what would be above and beyond?

Think. No need to praise Apple just because it's Apple.

14. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

Its sad but true. I've been a huge Apple advocate until the quality began to degenerate for no acceptable reason. Now I find it very discouraging.

Why is it, they have maintained excellent customer service & have allowed their QC slip so badly?

Why is it, that they can overlook huge scratches in the lid and palm rest of not just one but three new BTO MBP's, before sending me one that still had minor scratches?

Finally I just gave up & accepted it, rather than extending the ordeal for 4 months.

Each year for years, I ordered a new PowerBook, then MBPs. Not once in over 12 years did I ever have to return one.

I would think Apple would maintain its quality, just like it maintains its premium pricing.

They owe it to the customer and to their own reputation.

I used to regularly suggest Macs to friends. Now at risk, I no longer can.

15. Kupp macrumors regular

I was able to get my iPad on my first try on a Wednesday in at the Holyoke store in western mass a few weeks back, you might have better luck there.

16. nwbusa macrumors regular

Wrong, Apple did not resolve anything yet. They keep sending the OP defective products.

17. Mr.C macrumors 601

Same here.

18. DuckSoup macrumors 6502a

DuckSoup

Totally agree. The problem in the OP is totally Quality Control, not Customer Service.

Mike

19. AppleGoddess macrumors 6502a

AppleGoddess

20. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I have nothing but good things to say about Apple's customer service.

21. Krandor macrumors 6502

Did you ask if they had wifi "in-stock" as in available to sell or if they had some wifi units available for replacements. They often have some available for replacements but if you call asking like you want to buy one they won't mentioned them.

22. Aviboy97 macrumors regular

Me too. They replaced my 64GB 3G iPad2 for free after my wife broke it. That's what I call customer service...

23. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

But you probably went in (or called) and didn't have a hostile attitude. I bet you were polite and (if at an Apple Store) smiled at the rep. When you left the rep probably thought "I wish we had more customers like him." :)

24. steadysignal macrumors 6502a

steadysignal

ban request?

no?

25. falconeight Guest

falconeight

Apple by far has the best customer service. If you think its bad stop buying stuff.