Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today is extending its full-featured Data and Privacy portal to the United States, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand.

data-privacy-apple-800x702.jpg

Apple customers in those four countries will now have the option to download a copy of any data associated with their Apple ID account that Apple maintains, such as calendars, reminders, photos, and documents stored in iCloud, purchase histories, Game Center activity, and AppleCare support history.

The portal has been available to customers in the European Union, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, and Switzerland since May to comply with Europe's General Data Protection Regulation, or GDPR. Apple said the service would be made available worldwide in the coming months, starting with today's expansion.

In the meantime, Apple customers who live in a country or region that's not listed above can still contact Apple to request a copy of their data.

Apple promises to fulfill all portal-based data requests within seven days, and emails customers to let them know it is preparing their data. Read our how-to for step-by-step instructions on requesting a copy of your data.

Update: The data-download option doesn't appear to be available immediately and may take some time to roll out to all users today.

Article Link: Apple Customers in the US, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand Can Download a Copy of Their Data Starting Today

randomgeeza

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2014
United Kingdom
When it was introduced in the UK, I downloaded all of mine. TBH, it was a little underwhelming. There I was expecting... I don't know what, and all I got were a load of excel spreadsheets with nothing...

Shame you can't get rid of the ghost data that seems to follow you from iCloud... I am forever having to delete old email settings that auto populate when they want. Same with Facebook and Twitter accounts... IMHO once deleted they should stay deleted.

Wash08

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2008
Space
I gave up trying... I know there is a guy in Russia-China or somewhere in a eastern euro country using my data...heck even in the US, South America...there is a clone of me somewhere lol.

"Big brother is always watching"

supremedesigner

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2005
That's odd. The US data were already available when I checked couple of months ago. I was able to download my data without any issues. Not sure if it's the "revised" version of US data? Can anyone confirm? Thanks!

BootsWalking

macrumors 68020
Feb 1, 2014
Logging in from the US I see no option to get a copy of my data, either from the main page or under Delete your account. I see a lot of text on Apple's site implying I can get the data but nothing actionable, at least not the data described in this article.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
When it was introduced in the UK, I downloaded all of mine. TBH, it was a little underwhelming. There I was expecting... I don't know what, and all I got were a load of excel spreadsheets with nothing...

Shame you can't get rid of the ghost data that seems to follow you from iCloud... I am forever having to delete old email settings that auto populate when they want. Same with Facebook and Twitter accounts... IMHO once deleted they should stay deleted.

Are you sure this isn't passwords saved in your web browser and form fill data saved in your web browser? That's were that data usually resides. It will stay forever until you delete it.

Edit: Password may also be saved in your Keychain.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.