Apple Customers in the US, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand Can Download a Copy of Their Data Starting Today

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 17, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today is extending its full-featured Data and Privacy portal to the United States, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand.

[​IMG]

Apple customers in those four countries will now have the option to download a copy of any data associated with their Apple ID account that Apple maintains, such as calendars, reminders, photos, and documents stored in iCloud, purchase histories, Game Center activity, and AppleCare support history.

The portal has been available to customers in the European Union, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, and Switzerland since May to comply with Europe's General Data Protection Regulation, or GDPR. Apple said the service would be made available worldwide in the coming months, starting with today's expansion.

In the meantime, Apple customers who live in a country or region that's not listed above can still contact Apple to request a copy of their data.

Apple promises to fulfill all portal-based data requests within seven days, and emails customers to let them know it is preparing their data. Read our how-to for step-by-step instructions on requesting a copy of your data.

Update: The data-download option doesn't appear to be available immediately and may take some time to roll out to all users today.

Article Link: Apple Customers in the US, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand Can Download a Copy of Their Data Starting Today

2. jiggad369 macrumors regular

jiggad369

3. yaxomoxay macrumors 68030

yaxomoxay

4. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

I don't see any option to download data.

Attached Files:

5. Saipher macrumors demi-god

Saipher

That's great news! Hopefully eventually everyone will be able to request and delete any data associated with them from any company worldwide. It's a big win for privacy rights.

6. im2fast4u macrumors newbie

im2fast4u

Same with me

7. keysofanxiety, Oct 17, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2018

keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

"Okay Google, can you show what data you have stored for me?"

"I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that."

[​IMG]

8. vixster1901 macrumors regular

vixster1901

go under "delete your data"

9. Sasparilla macrumors 65816

Download your data in Google: https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/3024190?hl=en

Now that doesn't mean they've given up on their business model based on surveillance capitalism or that their current CEO seems far more like the Zuck regarding moral issues than some of the original founders - which portends bad things for the future at Google.

10. vicviper789 macrumors regular

Ah great, all of my data nice and bundled up for the next big hack.

11. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

Equifax beat everyone to it.

12. thebeans macrumors 6502

You win!! This is the perfect reply!! Daisy, Daisy....

13. randomgeeza macrumors 6502

When it was introduced in the UK, I downloaded all of mine. TBH, it was a little underwhelming. There I was expecting... I don't know what, and all I got were a load of excel spreadsheets with nothing...

Shame you can't get rid of the ghost data that seems to follow you from iCloud... I am forever having to delete old email settings that auto populate when they want. Same with Facebook and Twitter accounts... IMHO once deleted they should stay deleted.

14. bladerunner2000 macrumors 68020

bladerunner2000

Imagine Facebook giving users the option to actually delete their data and account? Zuckerberg's expressionless head would explode.

15. Taselcult macrumors newbie

Taselcult

yea.... going with nope on that one. Looks like they just haven't aded it to the US page yet. We still only have "correct" & "Delete". Will be nice to see what they have on me sicne my account goes back to the iTools days ;)

16. Wash08 macrumors member

Wash08

I gave up trying... I know there is a guy in Russia-China or somewhere in a eastern euro country using my data...heck even in the US, South America...there is a clone of me somewhere lol.

"Big brother is always watching"

17. supremedesigner macrumors 6502a

supremedesigner

That's odd. The US data were already available when I checked couple of months ago. I was able to download my data without any issues. Not sure if it's the "revised" version of US data? Can anyone confirm? Thanks!

18. BootsWalking macrumors 6502a

Logging in from the US I see no option to get a copy of my data, either from the main page or under Delete your account. I see a lot of text on Apple's site implying I can get the data but nothing actionable, at least not the data described in this article.

19. Bornee35 macrumors 6502

Bornee35

you can, but you need to search the help field for "delete account" it won't show up otherwise.

20. SteveJUAE macrumors 68020

SteveJUAE

This is just the stuff Apple collects that is personalised you should not really be expecting any real surprises here :rolleyes:

21. MoreRumors? macrumors 6502

MoreRumors?

Still not available yet and I'll check again tomorrow.

22. AngerDanger, Oct 17, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2018

AngerDanger macrumors 68040

AngerDanger

Don’t tempt me to animate this…

[​IMG]

23. bladerunner2000 macrumors 68020

bladerunner2000

Do it!

24. MoreRumors? macrumors 6502

MoreRumors?

Please do, we need some entertainment at Zuckerberg's expense, pun intended.

25. velocityg4 macrumors 601

velocityg4

Are you sure this isn't passwords saved in your web browser and form fill data saved in your web browser? That's were that data usually resides. It will stay forever until you delete it.

Edit: Password may also be saved in your Keychain.