Apple Cuts iPhone XR Prices for Third-Party Distributors in China

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 10, 2019.

1. slide_to_unlock macrumors newbie

slide_to_unlock

Apple increased the price of new iPhones so much that now people think the old price is "cheap". See that is how Apple is playing you all. $649 is also NOT cheap. They have to lower it even more if they want us to buy their product and compete with equally or even more better alternatives like folding or flying phones. $500 starting sounds good to me. ;)

2. KPandian1 macrumors 65816

Hope the rest of the smartphone makers are forced to lower their prices on the top end models too.

These little candy bars are getting too expensive:(!

3. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Having used the XR the screen is otherwise beautiful but its critical mistake was a sub-1080p display. It would have sold more units and had a lot less negative press if it shared a 3x point resolution with the XS.

4. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

Because, as others have noted, China is where the biggest dip in sales is. And the reason for this is the Chinese Market is not nearly as interested in the "S" models as they are the initial release because they buy on design, not on features. And this is because Weichat is the most-used and most-important app on a Chinese user's smartphone and Weichat is cross-platform.

Ben Thompson over at Stratchery outlined this in his most recent article - Chinese sales of the 5 and 6 were very strong, but the 5S and 6S saw significant sales drops because they looked the same so there was no "new" or "prestige" factor. The 7 and 8 looking much like the 6/6S didn't help, either, which is why the X sold very strong (it was the first "all-new design" in years). But the XS looks like an X so interest in it is less. And the XS and XR are just bigger X models (from a pure design point - technical features aside) so they too are probably being impacted by the "not new" issue.

A broken clock is correct twice a day, but it's still wrong the rest of the time.

5. Nagy Dávid macrumors member

The difference is more than 10%. In my opinion that is far from comparable.

6. tcphoto1 macrumors regular

tcphoto1

I was tempted by the trade in offer for my iphone6 but I didn’t fall for it. How much do you think Apple profits on those trade ins? Perhaps a more realistic pricing scheme would make customers, stockholders and Wallstreet happier.

7. genovelle macrumors 6502a

Maybe because it’s the only market that it’s not the best selling phone.

8. FreshBoy macrumors regular

After currency conversion, the base iPhone XR costs $1010 here in Ireland. That is just ridiculous. I had every iPhone up until the 7. I refuse to upgrade until they sort their pricing out and if I were to upgrade it would be to the XS which is even more ridiculously priced.

9. bdore89 macrumors newbie

bdore89

Hears a concept.... iPhone the size of the XR, no notch - instead the top bezel could be slightly larger to accommodate the face ID censors and not interfere with the screen, a separate headphone jack or ditch the lightning port for USB-C and include USB-C headphones, & put 3D touch (optional) & touch ID back. $799. No one would care how thick it is. Would be the best selling iPhone EVER. Too bad Apple doesn't listen to it's customers. This would satisfy customers screaming for an updated SE phone, customers screaming because of how "brave" they were removing the headphone jack, customers that complain about the notch, and customers that complain about the prices.

10. coolbreeze macrumors 68000

coolbreeze

If the XR had 3d touch, I'd happily pay full price for it. Lower prices are always better though. Apple products are so expensive now that only wealthy people can afford them. Crazy.

11. dazz87 macrumors 65816

for a 825p screen in 2019? Nah more like $499

12. 78Bandit macrumors 6502a

78Bandit

I just don't think it matters much with most consumers. Apple doesn't even advertise the resolution of the phones (the XS has "super retina" and the XR has "liquid retina"). I do wish it had shipped with the same 401ppi pixel density as the previous Plus models, but in the end those whose purchases would be affected by screen resolution would likely be technophiles and would buy the XS over the XR anyway.

13. MrAperture macrumors regular

MrAperture

That’s called the iPhone 8 Plus.

14. Infinite Vortex macrumors member

Infinite Vortex

$100 off, while a start, doesn't make the Xr anywhere near the price of a Xiaomi/Huawei nor does it make it a Chinese phone. I doubt it'll make a difference.

15. JPack, Jan 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2019

JPack macrumors 68040

JPack

Here's what 6000 RMB buys in China:

Huawei Mate 20 Pro with 128GB of storage. 6.4" OLED. It has the same dot projector, TOF proximity sensor, flood illuminator as iPhone. In-display fingerprint sensor. Three cameras on the back.

Apple iPhone XR
    with 64GB of storage. 6.1" LCD. No in-display fingerprint sensor. One camera on the back.

huawei-mate-20-proheader.jpg

16. Piggie macrumors G3

Piggie

I'm sorry.
    Was it not the official line that "being to dam expensive" was not the reason for poor sales?
    If that were true then dropping the price will have zero effect.

If Apple drops the price anywhere and they sell more, then that proves cheaper phones will sell easier.
    With Apple desperately scrabbling to get into services that come from people consuming Apple content.
    Apple should make iPhones as cheap as possible, sell masses more of them, then make the money back later.

17. jayducharme macrumors 68040

jayducharme

I'm not sure what I'm going to do in the future with Apple. I loved the SE, and reluctantly traded it in for an 8. I do like the 8, but even it is too large for me. If Apple had come out with an updated SE, I would have gotten it. Now that all of Apple's phone offerings are bigger than I want, I guess I'll just wait it out until the Watch can be used independent of an iPhone. I just want a small communication device that I can use for a little browsing, gaming and music. I'd be content with the Watch.

18. spiddyman007 macrumors regular

spiddyman007

China is a funny different place

19. iRutherford macrumors member

iRutherford

Mixtapes are given for free, Kanye. Albums aren't.

20. kiranmk2 macrumors 6502a

kiranmk2

Amazed that the iPhone costs so much in China given that it's manufacturered there meaning no import taxes on the phones from the factory. Our US friends may be amazed at the price of the iPhone these days, but as has been pointed out the prices in the rest of the world are insane.
    I wonder if come September iPhone XR price drops to $599 (with no new second tier phone) - would that spark an upgrade cycle (from iPhone 6 and up).

21. Infinite Vortex macrumors member

Infinite Vortex

Because 1) it's not India and 2) by having the factory next door all they will "save" is the free shipping.

22. bdore89 macrumors newbie

bdore89

Clearly you missed my entire suggestion... The iPhone 8 plus is NOTHING like the description I gave...

23. JPack macrumors 68040

JPack

There are import taxes. The Foxconn plant sits in a bonded zone, similar to an embassy.

Any input materials that go inside the zone for building iPhone aren't taxed. But anything that comes out is taxed as a foreign product.

This makes it attractive for manufacturing to operate and protects domestic industries at the same time.

24. KPandian1 macrumors 65816

Yes, it is.

Apple products assembled in China are not technically made in China; it is like buying duty-free stuff at the airport, you still pay "tax" at customs. Same applies to other companies, and other countries that have such zoned manufacturing areas.