Apple Cuts iPhone XR Prices for Third-Party Distributors in China

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 10, 2019.

1. calzon65 macrumors 6502a

calzon65

Cutting prices is the first sign of a desperate company LOL.

2. SteveJUAE, Jan 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2019

SteveJUAE macrumors 68020

SteveJUAE

In terms of straight $ the US ranks the 3rd most expensive country to own and use an iPhone but in terms of % of average income it's a lot better

There are many different factors to consider depending on your local including support and warranty whilst Apple excellent service record is great in the top 5 or 10 countries for many it's just another mail in service with no 14 day exchange or stores etc etc

It's not just the initial price that counts for many including lock in to App Store and other addons

3. DanGoh macrumors 6502

DanGoh

I'd go out and get one if it was $100 cheaper and if they retain the boost in trade-ins.

4. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

Same here. I'm on the fence of getting one. If they keep the trade-in and throw in $100 or even a gift card I'd go for it. They will make a lot of money from AppleCare too.

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Well the tax is 17% so...

6. MoreRumors? macrumors 6502

MoreRumors?

If Tim believes revenue will be lower because of lower sales in China, then this is one of the steps he hope it will revitalize sales there. I must say price for XR there is high.

7. Glideslope macrumors 603

Glideslope

Agreed. While pricing is the predominant issue the trade situation has created a very strong trend to not purchase American devices. Even though the majority are assembled by Chinese in China. There is enormous pressure in China currently to not be seen using an iPhone. I don’t think this reduction will have any positive effect. No country on the planet can motivate its population to boycott like the Chinese. Mostly through intimidation and humiliation. :apple:

8. NtDMx macrumors newbie

The bottom right one says 127k. Has to be a typo right? It's meant to be 12.7k?

9. ksec macrumors 6502a

Which is why I think Apple needs consider if they should change their pricing Strategy, ( not just cheaper ), but globally, taking into VAT. It would mean Apple don't earn the exact same margin everywhere, but it could balance the price difference between countries.

iPhone 8 is now available in China for $3999 CNY in one of the largest Online Retaliers, if you take out the VAT sales that it actually cheaper than US pricing.

10. Ramchi macrumors 6502a

Ramchi

Just yesterday I bought Note 9 512 GB for $950! Of Course not directly from the retail shop, but still it had warranty coverage etc ..

11. Mashurrab macrumors regular

I live in Turkey.

The Xr is USD 1400 and the Xs Max is USD 2000. This is in a Country where the normal employee has monthly salary of USD 800.

12. carltabet, Jan 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2019

carltabet macrumors member

That was the starting price of the iPhone for several years until Apple hiked it to $699 with the iPhone 8 and again to $749 with the iPhone XR. That's not acceptable even for someone like me who has always been a faithful Apple customer. At least it would be less of an issue if the starting storage was 128 GB instead of 64 GB. Not to mention the size of the XR which is hardly pocket friendly or easy for one-handed use. A better size for me is the iPhone XS but it starts at $999 with that same puny 64 GB, so they basically push you to go for 256 GB at $1149. That is the second year in a row that I'm not getting a new iPhone although I would really like to. I just can't encourage Apple in their current strategy.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 10, 2019 ---
    Same here! The price increases since the iPhone 8 are unacceptable in a market where Android mid-range models have become compelling alternatives. If only they were not so large with screens often exceeding 6 inches, I would've switched by now. But if Apple has no plans to go back to a more reasonable pricing scheme, they should introduce the iPhone Upgrade Program in all its major markets. It would make it easier to afford their phones which are now hardly affordable with a full payment.

13. tambur123 macrumors member

$950 in romania, more expensive than note9 :)

14. the-msa macrumors 6502

hm, i have 849 euro to spend... do i buy a top of the line android, or a gimped iPhone? mhhmhmhm

15. pratikindia macrumors 6502

pratikindia

Yes. These prices include all the taxes. Here is a link to XR 64 GB which is listed at 5599 CNY.

https://item.jd.com/100001860787.html

16. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I don’t think this is a fair statement, even if the XR is only production for a year, it doesn’t mean it’s a ‘Flop’. If you really break down the XR in terms of what it offers, it’s highly similar to the iPhone XS, with the exception of the telephoto lens and 3D Touch. And for $250 cheaper under the XS, the XR offers a similar experience with Face ID, and form factor with excellent battery life.

17. robjulo macrumors 65816

Lol...keep telling yourself that.

18. Ramchi macrumors 6502a

Ramchi

This is not cutting prices. Reducing $100 for XR which is far more expensive than many flagships is not going to yield any results.

Most likely Apple would have bargained nearly 80% of the reduction in price in the supply chain, distribution, retailers margins etc... They would always anticipate such moves but so far they never had to deploy such measures. Probably multifolded contracts would obsorb such costs. Apple will continue to make same margins imo

19. skinned66 macrumors 65816

skinned66

20. Kanyay Suspended

Kanyay

i sell mine. i walk around the mall in beverly hills cuz im a genius but to each his own. and spotify money.

but my **** flopping lately. kim makes like 3x more than me smh

21. Aston441 macrumors 65816

Make it LCD >400ppi like the plus phones too. Then I'm in.

22. Baymowe335 Suspended

I know it's hard to absorb facts, but you have to use them to support a narrative. If you want to think the CEO of the largest company in the world can lie, go ahead and keep telling yourself that.

The facts are the facts and over 100% of the forecasted revenue shortfall was due to China. Apple told us that. There is no conspiracy theory.

23. Alienzed macrumors newbie

Alienzed

Yes, Apple, your entry level phone at ~1000$ taxes in is too expensive. Please do not act surprised. Stop gouging.

24. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

What about everyone else? Tim Cook bends backwards for China all the damn time.

25. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Apple need to put out designer limited edition phones to capture the 1%. This would offset the casual consumers price points. Kind of like what they did with the watches.