Apple Debuts Online Store With 10 Percent Discount for Veterans and Active Military

WinterWolf90

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2014
Reading some of these disrespectful comments disgust me, shame on you folks. Probably the same that whine about police officers until they need their help...
Meh, having a 100% positive outlook on any profession is dangerous. A job title doesn't make you immune from being a bad person or doing bad things.

Reactions: drumcat

Tech198

macrumors G5
Mar 21, 2011
Australia, Perth
This could extend to the disabled in other areas not just the Veterans in the Military but customers as well. The Refurb store is a good start, but is not enough for those who just can't afford one.

Their would be those that wound take advantage of getting the discount, but that's only because some may have took advantage of being in the situation as a whole anyway.

Why do companies need to play 'clean up' ?

aka777

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2012
It would be nice if Teachers, Police, Fire, and social workers, yes the people who actually keep a country functioning and operating every single day got a discount.

lec0rsaire

macrumors 65816
Feb 23, 2017
This is nice to see but is obviously because sales have been dismal because of the much higher prices. Still a positive thing for those who serve and have served our nation. They should always get a discount on anything and everything they buy. It's the least we can do after they put their lives on the line to defend our national interests and ourselves.

troy14

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2008
Las Vegas (Summerlin), NV
I can agree with you on your viewpoint about the disabled part, but people will take advantage of the system whether it's public or in the military. My dad served 21 years in the ARMY, was one of the soldiers in the gulf war exposed to Sarin nerve gas and was denied his first time applying for benefits even though the government mailed him a letter telling him about such exposure. I was never in the military, but work at a VA hospital and you do see people, especially age 50+ that were in the military anywhere from 6 months - 2 years that were not deployed, and claim PTSD or other illnesses and were able to get 100% disability and probably make more money than me because their check is tax free.
[doublepost=1543963510][/doublepost]

The thing about disability is that it can be something they already had when they went into the military. Working at the VA, I've seen people get "disability" for flat feet, sleep apnea, PTSD when never deployed, diabetes, gallbladder removal, being an alcoholic (when they were already one while in the military, not caused by trauma the military did). If you work in the healthcare field for the government its pretty unreal how easy it is for people to get some sort of disability rating for something that had nothing to do with the military. And while veteran may not got into the military looking for a disability check, a lot of them realize how easy it is to scheme the government for one.
It can be a pre-existing condition however not if it was documented. If you have sleep apnea documented on your medical record before you join the military, it won't count towards disability unless it's proven it's worse or something. Same with PTSD, diabetes, etc.

Most people who enlist/commission are young, healthy, so naturally they don't have any health ailments. Then add however many years of service, and you'll see "back pain" pop up (which was never documented in their young years), PTSD (from deployments, etc.), sleep apnea (which may be from various factors) and now you have quite a large % of disability.

Source: am AD air force nurse

BeforeTheMeds

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2016
Edomx, MX
I did 8 years in combat arms as cavalry scout. Been to Ft Polk, Ft Stewart, Korea and Iraq in 2003. My Bradley was actually second vehicle that crossed Iraqi border in 2003. I was then with 7th Cav, 3rd ID. Got out in 2004 so I can image that bases changed since then.

I started off at the end of vietnam. Ran boatloads of refugees during the fall of saigon. Bullets flying but mostly taking the live, mangled and dead away from it. Kids and all. About half our ammo can (huge metal box with 50 cal ammo) was iced down beer.

Was with amphibious cb one and was basically a marine grunt, we went through infantry school at Pendelton. Son’t know why but I still have mu m-16 custody card from acb-1.

I also spent a lot of time in the indian ocean planeguarding. Was a helo landing signalman on a tiny soruance flight deck.

We sparred with libya on a spruance destroyer. We took seals to pull an unexploded missle from ghadaffi from a greek tanker. Rescued refugees up until the 80’s. Did a hell of a lot of stuff in 12 years, was in 16 countries including oman where the indoctrination was basically “they despise you”. Mostly routine stuff, the only bullets flying was fall of saigon. Missles some in the io.

Did 12, medical. Am 100% p&t with the va. No property taxes, thank you oklahoma.

In the 70’s (was married) the commissary was a warehouses eith huge shipping boxes cut open to see what was inside. Period. Noe the tinker one is better looking and more stuff than any of the outside stores. No car stickers now. Can take people without cards into the exchange, couldn’t before. Don’t have to fill out a bunch of, or any, paperwork as did before.

At the gate I pointed at the air force guy’s office chair and said “I see they issued you the air force assault weapon”. They still don’t have a sense of humor.

Sorry to be long winded. Faded off thinking back.
[doublepost=1544044447][/doublepost]
It can be a pre-existing condition however not if it was documented. If you have sleep apnea documented on your medical record before you join the military, it won't count towards disability unless it's proven it's worse or something. Same with PTSD, diabetes, etc.

Most people who enlist/commission are young, healthy, so naturally they don't have any health ailments. Then add however many years of service, and you'll see "back pain" pop up (which was never documented in their young years), PTSD (from deployments, etc.), sleep apnea (which may be from various factors) and now you have quite a large % of disability.

Source: am AD air force nurse

From someone that is 100% p&t it’s hard to prove anything. Even with the 100% I have stuff that happened while in that I can’t prove. Some probably do play the system but far more get played by it. I got a medical after 12 years. More documented stuff. It’s harder, typically, for someone in 3 or 4 years to have anything that happened documented. THAT matters far more than how you got it or where you went in most cases. Is it right? That’s the only thing they can do to to try snd stop thos playing the system.

I don’t know of anyone with documented pre existing conditions that got anything. Flat feet? Back when I went in, during vietnam, they didn’t document a lot of that stuff. Physicals were a joke. If the physician didn't write it down it didn’t exist. Flat feet were not allowed in. Some stuff they had to sign a waiver. No bennies for that.

Also. If someone has ptsd and apnea they will typically get apnea as an extension of ptsd in the eyes of the va.

The va is in the position where before they would not recognize ptsd, caught s lot of crap for it, and now err on the side of caution. If so many did not go without mental health before they would not approve so many now.

Last edited:

BeforeTheMeds

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2016
Edomx, MX
To all the US vets and military people currently in service a big thank you from Germany. And lets hope your current president doesn't get a second term so we can be friends again. :)

Sorry, but A big “thank you” and “we can be friends if you vote in someone who hates you” is laughable.

Most of us know who hate us, we are not stupid.

This is from someone who had been using the va for over 3 decades. I, and most of us know, who supports us. Things at the va have surpassed the bush years, i know cnn tells you otherwise but sorry ‘bout that.

[doublepost=1544052840][/doublepost]
Meh, having a 100% positive outlook on any profession is dangerous. A job title doesn't make you immune from being a bad person or doing bad things.
Of course it doesn’t, a segment gives us a continuous blanket of hate though. A segment of the so called “tolerant” party. Yet it’s only when it’s perceived that someone is treating us “too good” when the whining starts. Thats why they always lose the majority of us.

I don’r ask for or expect anything other than what was promised to me. I will accept anything offered with much appreciation. I really do not care that the haters will hate, have heard it for decades. I just feel like speaking out sometimes.
[doublepost=1544054584][/doublepost]
I’ve never understood why having a job for two to four years means they should receive all of these fringe benefits and discounts from companies.

That being said, they should make the student discount just as generous. They are the ones who need it.

At least there is no verification portal. So anyone can use the discount.
Yet, I don’t see you whining over people having a political job, like president or representatives, and getting huge benefits from here out. How about welfare? Paid for doing Nothing, not a private company discount.

Speaks volumes about people like you. Upset about private company discounts, not about forced supporting a non worker. Not talking about ssn that was paid in to.

Bye.
[doublepost=1544054799][/doublepost]
It would be nice if Teachers, Police, Fire, and social workers, yes the people who actually keep a country functioning and operating every single day got a discount.

They do. The government store covers all of those, state and federal.

Now you have to look for something else to whine about.

Bye.
[doublepost=1544055047][/doublepost]
Sorry to burst your bubble, but I got military discounts in the 90's from Jobs. It was the only way I could afford that rockin' Quadra 605. I bought several Macs with a military discount. At some point it went away. I'm glad it's back, as I am eyeing the new Mac Mini.

It has beeb there for DAV members all along.
[doublepost=1544055142][/doublepost]
Only at macrumors could an article about discounts turn into PRSI material.

A lot of hate filled sntifa, democratic underground types.
[doublepost=1544055266][/doublepost]
Would be nice if they extended it to those of us who serve for Canada. We have an existing verification system for retailers in place with the CF Appreciate program.
Shouldn’t that be up to canadian businesses? I wouldn’t expect it from a canadian businesses.

Canada should give draft dodger discount.

One thing about this thread. It sure built up the ignore list.

Last edited:

Xenden

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2013
Rio Rancho, NM
Sorry, but A big “thank you” and “we can be friends if you vote in someone who hates you” is laughable.

Most of us know who hate us, we are not stupid.

This is from someone who had been using the va for over 3 decades. I, and most of us know, who supports us. Things at the va have surpassed the bush years, i know cnn tells you otherwise but sorry ‘bout that.

[doublepost=1544052840][/doublepost]
Of course it doesn’t, a segment gives us a continuous blanket of hate though. A segment of the so called “tolerant” party. Yet it’s only when it’s perceived that someone is treating us “too good” when the whining starts. Thats why they always lose the majority of us.

I don’r ask for or expect anything other than what was promised to me. I will accept anything offered with much appreciation. I really do not care that the haters will hate, have heard it for decades. I just feel like speaking out sometimes.
[doublepost=1544054584][/doublepost]

Yet, I don’t see you whining over people having a political job, like president or representatives, and getting huge benefits from here out. How about welfare? Paid for doing Nothing, not a private company discount.

Speaks volumes about people like you. Upset about private company discounts, not about forced supporting a non worker. Not talking about ssn that was paid in to.

Bye.
[doublepost=1544054799][/doublepost]

They do. The government store covers all of those, state and federal.

Now you have to look for something else to whine about.

Bye.
[doublepost=1544055047][/doublepost]

It has beeb there for DAV members all along.
[doublepost=1544055142][/doublepost]

A lot of hate filled sntifa, democratic underground types.
[doublepost=1544055266][/doublepost]
Shouldn’t that be up to canadian businesses? I wouldn’t expect it from a canadian businesses.

Canada should give draft dodger discount.

One thing about this thread. It sure built up the ignore list.

I know that I’m in the severe minority, but I think Congressmen and Senators are severely underpaid. Especially the first termers. Unless the represent a district or state along the eastern seaboard, they must maintain two households. Northern VA, Maryland, and DC are extremely pricy. $190k goes very quick.

kawalerzysta

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2013
Mt Pocono, PA
Just an update. It looks that in order to shop in Veteran's and Military Store service needs to be verified through ID.me
Completed my verification and it was fairly quick.