Apple Debuts Online Store With 10 Percent Discount for Veterans and Active Military

Ebok

Suspended
Aug 22, 2018
Oh man, you’re an absolute hero. Truly courageous.

You could probably get this discount too. Sure you may not be a veteran, but with that sort of incredible bravery you could certainly qualify.

If only we could be half the man you are, this world would be a better place. Thank you for your service.
are you okay? there's plenty of help out there man.

jdmachogg

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2008
Mount Maunganui, New Zealand
I understand this is currently limited to the US only. Will Apple ever extend the same offer to NATO, major non-NATO allied countries in the future as well?
Doubt it. The whole 'Thank you for your service' thing is very American, and you can see the same culture here. Many NATO countries also aren't on a total #LoveWarAndKilling powertrip.

Also I question if this would be legal in some EU countries where this could fall under discrimination.

scubachap

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2016
UK
This new incentive is a direct contradiction of their own values.
I don't think it is, in this is bang on their brand in that I think they're simply looking for ways to reduce the price to push sales without 'devaluing' the brand or reducing in-store pricing (or horror of horrors, admitting they've got it wrong and been taking the p*** lately.). The honouring veterans bit is just a nice bit of associated PR. (They weren't offering discounts when the war(s) was in full swing!) Also, as an aside, I've noticed the refurb store here in the UK seems chock full of stuff lately - in the past there often wasn't a lot. You can now pretty much pick your config from it.

SBlue1

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2008
To all the US vets and military people currently in service a big thank you from Germany. And lets hope your current president doesn't get a second term so we can be friends again. :)

Reactions: v3rlon

scottishwildcat

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2007
I understand this is currently limited to the US only. Will Apple ever extend the same offer to NATO, major non-NATO allied countries in the future as well?
Unlikely. In the rest of the Western world, at least, we just consider military service to be a job like any other that you choose to do if you want to, and not to do if you don't (except in the few where national service is still compulsory), and you don't get any special treatment either way. And yes, I appreciate that freedom was hard-fought and we're lucky to have it.

Last edited:
Reactions: drumcat

carlsson

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2001
So basically; If you are into war, you get discounts!

But - of course - knowing my american friends it's probably more like: If you defend this country, you get discounts!

Anyways...

:p

Reactions: DjanSeriyAnaplian

ChrisGerber87

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Looks like it’s only on the SIM-free model. That means no iPhone Upgrade Program. Damn.
Yes, my thoughts exactly, only Apple would give you a 10% discount then say you can't use something else like the iphone upgrade program. At Least the discount is there for carrier installment.

GDF

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2010
But that's a shallow view of the situation, and Apple has always aimed to see beyond. This new incentive is a direct contradiction of their own values. Nobody is ignoring or overlooking the sacrifice that vets have made, and active personnel are making. But Apple has always been about leaving the world better than it found it. Apple _should_ be putting their money into efforts that help to create a world without the need for a military. See the difference? Feed the machine, or help create a world that doesn't need the machine.

I take issue with this because it's clearly aimed to selling more product, not trying to help the world. If they were truly serious about this, it would be a global program, but it's US-only. What about the sacrifice that the Canadian military makes? Are they less valuable to the peace effort?

Don't be so quick to take offense. Nobody is devaluing your contribution.
Doubt that world will ever happen and that is why we must value our people that serve in the military, because it is such a small brave majority that protect our freedoms that make our country so great and also a steward for other countries that can't afford to combat brutal dictatorships around the around.

Apple is a US based company, so not suprising they have a military discount first in the US, as do other companies.

Comments like you said before and above have no place in this forum and really do insult the military who have given you have the freedom to say things like that. Amazing how so many people get bent out shape for a 10% discount for a group of people who will die for their country and those same people that critize what they do. Very pathetic. Those same people should go live in a third world country and then maybe it would make them see how fortunate they are to live in our great country.

Fogeyfied

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2018
Bizarre move from apple. From a fairly hippy pacifist founder to discounts for the army, not exactly expected, doubt Jobs would appove at all.

Killer discounts.
Sorry to burst your bubble, but I got military discounts in the 90's from Jobs. It was the only way I could afford that rockin' Quadra 605. I bought several Macs with a military discount. At some point it went away. I'm glad it's back, as I am eyeing the new Mac Mini.

Lax608

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2015
I know it's been this way for ages with the educational discount, but I'm still shocked they have no verification process in place at all. Anyone can use this portal for a discount, so I'd expect someone like Apple to have loopholes like that on lockdown.

That said, kudos to them for offering something up.
In this case it is technically against the law for a non veteran to falsely claim veteran status and purchase items at a discount. That is stolen valor. Its different than those asses you see on YouTube wearing a uniform when they never served; in this case you are profiting (getting a discount) under the false notion of veteran status.

Reactions: BeforeTheMeds

kawalerzysta

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2013
Mt Pocono, PA
Just 100% service disabled veterans like me, I have on base access. Plus have a Military star card.

For me this will beat the exchange. I am tax exempt. The exchange has good prices, and no taxes, but 5% is figured into all of the prices that goes back into the exchanges.

Also free shipping from the exchanges when using the star card.

Star card deals are great. Got 2 nest indoor cameras for 80.00 each.
That kind of sucks that they gave veterans access only to online part of Exchange but not to physical stores. Physical stores are no go for me, since I am only 20% disabled and don't have access to bases. However, in the end it is not that of big deal, since there is no bases around, except small Army Depot. I did some shopping already at Exchange online store and in some cases saved a lot because of no tax and free shipping. Pretty good rates on Military Star card help as well. I am glad that they opened at least online part of Exchange to all veterans, it is one of better benefits offered.

Last edited:

one more

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
IMHO this is a wrong move by Apple, considering their pacifist, humanitarian & environmental values they claim to still respect & value.

odoy

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2015
Germany
since months every week bad news about apple. now they are war driver.
from the most innovative company to the most valuable company to the most shi**y company :(
you can save more money on apple products if you buy shares from weapons manufacturer.

what's next? product dead => 5% of every sale goes to the nra?

Reactions: one more

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
i bought a MBP and a Mac mini over the weekend with this discount. Had my license and Dd214 ready and they didn't even check it. Pretty wild.

BeforeTheMeds

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2016
Edomx, MX
That kind of sucks that they gave veterans access only to online part of Exchange but not to physical stores. Physical stores are no go for me, since I am only 20% disabled and don't have access to bases. However, in the end it is not that of big deal, since there is no bases around, except small Army Depot. I did some shopping already at Exchange online store and in some cases saved a lot because of no tax and free shipping. Pretty good rates on Military Star card help as well. I am glad that they opened at least online part of Exchange to all veterans, it is one of better benefits offered.
It’s a plus, something that did not happen before.

I was reading where all service disabled, no matter what percentage, will get on base access by 2010. Far as I’m concerned all vererans should get it.

I got out after twelve in 85. Medical. Sure is a lot different on base now, then again my closest is tinker. An afb

kawalerzysta

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2013
Mt Pocono, PA
It’s a plus, something that did not happen before.

I was reading where all service disabled, no matter what percentage, will get on base access by 2010. Far as I’m concerned all vererans should get it.

I got out after twelve in 85. Medical. Sure is a lot different on base now, then again my closest is tinker. An afb
I did 8 years in combat arms as cavalry scout. Been to Ft Polk, Ft Stewart, Korea and Iraq in 2003. My Bradley was actually second vehicle that crossed Iraqi border in 2003. I was then with 7th Cav, 3rd ID. Got out in 2004 so I can image that bases changed since then.

Glideslope

macrumors 603
Dec 7, 2007
A quiet place in NY.
www.sonshi.com
But for the service personnel from other countries who have served along side the US military its a big F**K Off, you get nothing.Well done Apple...not.
I understand you’re point. It’s fair to be critical. On the other hand it’s not uncommon for a company to offer discounts only to its own citizens/military. It’s simply the way it is. But make no mistake, I do understand your position. :apple:

WinterWolf90

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2014
I have total respect for those in the military who work 20+ years as their career. I also think those who are in active combat and the like deserve all the the help and support they need.

But I’ve seen one to many people do a 2-4 year stint in the military, be declared 90% disabled, receive a large (in the $2k a month area) disability payment, and they are still athletic and play sports.

It just bugs me when you get life time benefits for a job you do for a few years.

I can agree with you on your viewpoint about the disabled part, but people will take advantage of the system whether it's public or in the military. My dad served 21 years in the ARMY, was one of the soldiers in the gulf war exposed to Sarin nerve gas and was denied his first time applying for benefits even though the government mailed him a letter telling him about such exposure. I was never in the military, but work at a VA hospital and you do see people, especially age 50+ that were in the military anywhere from 6 months - 2 years that were not deployed, and claim PTSD or other illnesses and were able to get 100% disability and probably make more money than me because their check is tax free.
[doublepost=1543963510][/doublepost]
So you are saying that the military shouldn’t compensate service related disabilities if said person can still be athletic and play sports? That seems rather narrow considering the many “jobs” service members perform regardless of the amount of time they performed that job.

Or is it the time factor that gets at you more? Because someone didn’t decide to serve 20+ years as opposed to the person who decided a single enlistment was sufficient service to their country. What about the person that was medically discharged before their enlistment was up due to disability. I hope you are aware that medical discharges are rarely a choice by the service member. Are you comparing them to the 93% of Americans that chose not to serve at all?

I personally have never met a veteran who enlisted in the hopes of getting a disibility check for the rest of their life or enlisted to occasionally save 10% on purchases for their lifetime.

If it bothers you so much you should probably spend some time volunteering with many of the non profit veterans organizations that are out there. Get to know more and more veterans and if they are so inclined they just might share what they’ve gone through in service of their country. Perhaps that might change your view on these “benefits” that we get that you don’t feel some of us deserve.

The thing about disability is that it can be something they already had when they went into the military. Working at the VA, I've seen people get "disability" for flat feet, sleep apnea, PTSD when never deployed, diabetes, gallbladder removal, being an alcoholic (when they were already one while in the military, not caused by trauma the military did). If you work in the healthcare field for the government its pretty unreal how easy it is for people to get some sort of disability rating for something that had nothing to do with the military. And while veteran may not got into the military looking for a disability check, a lot of them realize how easy it is to scheme the government for one.

v3rlon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2014
Earth (usually)
I can agree with you on your viewpoint about the disabled part, but people will take advantage of the system whether it's public or in the military. My dad served 21 years in the ARMY, was one of the soldiers in the gulf war exposed to Sarin nerve gas and was denied his first time applying for benefits even though the government mailed him a letter telling him about such exposure. I was never in the military, but work at a VA hospital and you do see people, especially age 50+ that were in the military anywhere from 6 months - 2 years that were not deployed, and claim PTSD or other illnesses and were able to get 100% disability and probably make more money than me because their check is tax free.
[doublepost=1543963510][/doublepost]

The thing about disability is that it can be something they already had when they went into the military. Working at the VA, I've seen people get "disability" for flat feet, sleep apnea, PTSD when never deployed, diabetes, gallbladder removal, being an alcoholic (when they were already one while in the military, not caused by trauma the military did). If you work in the healthcare field for the government its pretty unreal how easy it is for people to get some sort of disability rating for something that had nothing to do with the military. And while veteran may not got into the military looking for a disability check, a lot of them realize how easy it is to scheme the government for one.
People will take advantage of any system where there is enough money and power.

People rob banks. Is your money stuffed in your mattress? (not really addressing the poster here, more of a general question to those who complain about people abusing the system)

Just because SOME people take advantage doesn't mean that it isn't a necessary service.