Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today debuted an overhauled webpage aimed at encouraging Android users to switch to the iPhone, introducing a simpler FAQ-style site that highlights iPhone features and makes it clear how simple it is to switch from an Android device to an iPhone.

appleandroidswitchersite-800x402.jpg

Apple previously had a webpage dedicated to customers coming to an iPhone from Android devices, but it featured less information on the iPhone itself and focused primarily on the Move to iOS app, a dedicated app that helps Android users transfer contacts, message history, photos, mail accounts, calendars, and more.

The new site, while featuring a section on Move to iOS, also attempts to lure Android users with details on the iPhone's camera and its processor, along with information on Apple Pay, Apple's privacy policy, the Messages app, Apple's commitment to the environment, and Apple Support.

appleandroidsite2-800x545.jpg

The site, which features clever animations and a simple design that's quick to scroll through, ends with an iPhone comparison chart and direct links to purchase iPhones from Apple's current lineup, including the iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 7, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 6s, and iPhone SE.

Apple continues to see a growing number of customers who are switching to the iPhone from an Android device, which Apple CEO Tim Cook covers in nearly every earnings call. During the second quarter earnings call in early May, Cook had this to say: "We saw the largest absolute number of switchers outside of Greater China that we've ever seen in the same period."

Update: To go along with the new site, Apple has uploaded a series of 16 second videos on its YouTube channel. Each video (there are five in total) highlights how easy it is to switch from Android to iPhone with the Move to iOS app or points out iPhone features like speed and privacy.

Article Link: Apple Debuts Revamped 'Switch' Site to Lure Android Users to iPhone [Update: New Videos Added]

Reactions: Avieshek

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands
Apple releasing/revamping this ''Switch'' site just a few weeks after the release of the new Samsung S8.

Coincidence??

I dont think so...

"Life is easier on iPhone'', not at all Apple. After 7 years using every new released iPhone I can tell you my life is much, much more easier (and a lot more productive) with my new S8 then every other iPhone from the past.

"Why is iPhone so fast'', no Apple. My new S8 is in some cases even faster/smoother then any of my previous iPhone 7 (or any of my earlier iPhones)

That 2nd video is pure nonsense

Last edited:

UL2RA

Suspended
May 7, 2017
Contradictorily enough, over the past couple years, I've had an increasing desire to try out an Android phone. Not that I dislike my 7 Plus, it's just over the past 10 years, I now find iOS structured and boring.
I keep switching back to iPhone every time a new flagship Android phone is released. So ... I do keep giving Android a try, but I just can't make it my go-to phone. I used to care about tweaking my phone all the time, but now I just want simplicity and crap that just works out of the box. Android is getting better, though ... and both have their pros and cons ... but there are just some things about the iPhone that Android will probably never have.

If Apple fix their software, up their game and make killer hardware (like they used to), then they wouldn't need to 'lure' people.
They're not having any problems getting people to use the iPhone ... considering it's their primary means of gross income.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Contradictorily enough, over the past couple years, I've had an increasing desire to try out an Android phone. Not that I dislike my 7 Plus, it's just over the past 10 years, I now find iOS structured and boring.

I'll take structured and boring. I like my devices to be secure and work consistently. Wasting time endlessly troubleshooting things that stop working for no reason is far from my idea of fun; though granted, it's certainly not boring.

If that's the worst people can say about iOS, personally I think that says why it's the best.

tech3475

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2011
The biggest issue I have with Android is support and backups.

This is made worse with Google increasingly making life harder for modders who usually fix this issue.

Granted they are supposedly making it easier for OEMs, but I'd rather see Google either opening up the OS more like with Windows or forcing OEMs to provide x amount of support for devices.

Backups are also another issue, with my iOS devices I just plug it in and back it up....simple.

On Android I have to either root (breaking things) or p*** with other programs which can be hit or miss.

I also like how things sync up between my phone macbook and ipad (particularly messages and calls).

TRUE! If only they made a inexpensive adapter... then I could just put the adapter on and I wouldn't have to keep complaining about it.. someday Apple, Some day..

You mean the adapter which takes up the only port requiring another adapter if you need the port for e.g. charging?

Also I've used adapters like this in the past and I found them annoying.

obeythelaw2004

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2017
I've thought about switching to Android over the last year. Especially stock android. However, everytime I want to get close to buying a new flagship Android phone, I decide not to. One, my 6sPlus holds up well. Still plenty fast and the camera is pretty good. Second, every person I communicate among family and friends uses iOS. Third, and I've asked people who use Android exclusively, is how to use some of the basic things that iOS makes very simple. FOr example, I can easily back up my iPhone messages, pics, etc. through the iCloud and restore just as easily; using FaceTime; iMessage; even simple things like Visual Voicemail built into the phone dialer. Android doesn't have iMessage. People say you can use things like Google Hangouts for video calling but its not the same because it isn't integrated into iOS. Lastly, using a Mac and iPad just makes using iOS and the iPhone that more tightly integrated.
Don't get me wrong, I think Apple's iPhone hardware has been lackluster the last 2 years and iOS can use a visual facelift. But iOS just works and gets updates regularly.

Asarien

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2015
I'll take structured and boring. I like my devices to be secure and work consistently. Wasting time endlessly troubleshooting things that stop working for no reason is far from my idea of fun; though granted, it's certainly not boring.

If that's the worst people can say about iOS, personally I think that says why it's the best.

Some people like wasting time and tinkering with devices. It's how Apple Computer was founded in the first place.

iOS is the best mobile OS out there, but that doesn't make is less boring for those with a proclivity towards engineering. Google manages to include simple and advanced UI options within Android.

Last edited:

zone23

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2012
The biggest issue I have with Android is support and backups.

This is made worse with Google increasingly making life harder for modders who usually fix this issue.

Granted they are supposedly making it easier for OEMs, but I'd rather see Google either opening up the OS more like with Windows or forcing OEMs to provide x amount of support for devices.

Backups are also another issue, with my iOS devices I just plug it in and back it up....simple.

On Android I have to either root (breaking things) or p*** with other programs which can be hit or miss.

I also like how things sync up between my phone macbook and ipad (particularly messages and calls).

You mean the adapter which takes up the only port requiring another adapter if you need the port for e.g. charging?

Also I've used adapters like this in the past and I found them annoying.

Annoying is slighting different than none existent. Which of the adapters (dongles as they are called) have you tried? When the 7 first came out it was an issue because they didn't have them but now you can buy all kinds of two in one dongles even though they annoy you. So charging and music playback are possible.

imicca

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2013
Yerevan, London
not bad! I am expecting some more flashy and solid points from Apple to make into their statements of why to switch from android.

pkissel

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2016
It is so much easier! Made the move last Nov after using Android for years. A couple of times a week I still look at my iPhone 7 Plus, shake my head, and wonder why I put up with the lack of OS updates and poor customer for all of those years. Awesome phone. Worried the battery wasn't enough but its been great too! So happy I made the change. I'll be keeping an eye on how well Google manages its Pixel line. But Apple has so much more experience on the hardware manufacturing and customer support that I can't see them ever catching up to a point where I'd go back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.