Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple tonight debuted two brand new iPhone 6 ads that appear to be a part of a new marketing campaign. The ads feature a voice over detailing what makes an iPhone unique compared to other smart phones and smart phone platforms while showing off multiple iPhones doing different things on a white background. Both ads end with a new tagline: "If it's not an iPhone, it's not an iPhone."

The first ad, "Loved", talks about the iPhone's high user satisfaction rate, claiming that 99% of people who have an iPhone love their device. It shows off people messaging, sending emojis, FaceTiming and having a good time on a multitude of iPhones before cutting to the new tagline.

The second ad, "Hardware & Software", explains how Apple is one of the few smart phone manufacturers to design both the hardware and software parts of the device. It goes on to say that this allows the device to function as a whole better than other smartphones can. It shows off games, intensive apps like GarageBand and iPhone-exclusive features like Apple Pay and FaceTime.

The new ads mark the third campaign centered around Apple's flagship device after the Jimmy Fallon and Justin Timberlake ads explaining the differences between the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus and Apple's award-winning "Shot on iPhone 6" campaign.

Article Link: Apple Debuts Two New iPhone 6 Ads: 'Loved' and 'Hardware & Software'

Reactions: xerexes1

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
This doesn't seem like problem they need to solve. I don't see people calling their cheap phones an "iPhone". It's not like how "Kleenex" became synonymous with "tissue" or how "Xerox" is used to say "photocopy". People call their smartphones a "phone" these days. "iPad" on the other hand has become synonymous with "tablet computer" but "iPhone" hasn't taken on that kind of role.

The software + hardware message is one worth repeating but the slogan doesn't address that.

mejsric

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2013
Some people think of Phone in the future.. like Pay Music Watch...
But it's not an iPhone.. so.. Its not an iPhone

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal

Apple tonight debuted two brand new iPhone 6 ads that appear to be a part of a new marketing campaign. The ads feature a voice over detailing what makes an iPhone unique compared to other smart phones and smart phone platforms while showing off multiple iPhones doing different things on a white background. Both ads end with a new tagline: "If it's not an iPhone, it's not an iPhone."

The first ad, "Loved", talks about the iPhone's high user satisfaction rate, claiming that 99% of people who have an iPhone love their device. It shows off people messaging, sending emojis, FaceTiming and having a good time on a multitude of iPhones before cutting to the new tagline.

The second ad, "Hardware & Software", explains how Apple is one of the few smart phone manufacturers to design both the hardware and software parts of the device. It goes on to say that this allows the device to function as a whole better than other smartphones can. It shows off games, intensive apps like GarageBand and iPhone-exclusive features like Apple Pay and FaceTime.

The new ads mark the third campaign centered around Apple's flagship device after the Jimmy Fallon and Justin Timberlake ads explaining the differences between the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus and Apple's award-winning "Shot on iPhone 6" campaign.

Article Link: Apple Debuts Two New iPhone 6 Ads: 'Loved' and 'Hardware & Software'

Great cocky and fun. Good show.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
This doesn't seem like problem they need to solve. I don't see people calling their cheap phones an "iPhone". It's not like how "Kleenex" became synonymous with "tissue" or how "Xerox" is used to say "photocopy". People call their smartphones a "phone" these days. "iPad" on the other hand has become synonymous with "tablet computer" but "iPhone" hasn't taken on that kind of role.

The software + hardware message is one worth repeating but the slogan doesn't address that.

I don't think the point of these ads is to prevent genericide of their 'iPhone' trademark. I think the point of the these ads is to imply that anything other than an iphone is less than an iphone.

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
I don't think the point of these ads is to prevent genericide of their 'iPhone' trademark. I think the point of the these ads is to imply that anything other than an iphone is less than an iphone.

It was subtle hard nudge at the obvious relentless Iphone copycat and how they fail at copying because they're not producing the 99% satisfaction Iphone experience... Cause hey, there is only one ring.... Hmmm... Iphone... to rule all :)... And Apple's got it ... I can just hear Tim Cook saying "My precious" holding an Iphone in his hand.

WhatTheCJ

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2015
Malibu, CA
Spot the easter egg?
CJhEXeOUwAAGFMw.jpg:large

99 iPhones facing the viewer. 1 iPhone faces away.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.