Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The_Auryn

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2020
So let me get this correct ... if you get pulled over by a cop for speeding, instead of taking your license and registration back to his patrol car to write you a ticket, he instead takes your iPhone back with him? Uhh ... no thanks.

kimmen

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2016
Norway
In Norway we have had the possibility to digitally and securely store our driver-licence on the cellphone for years now. But valid only for presenting to the police in traffic situations, not as ID in other places.

FL Newbee

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2019
Florida
So let me get this correct ... if you get pulled over by a cop for speeding, instead of taking your license and registration back to his patrol car to write you a ticket, he instead takes your iPhone back with him? Uhh ... no thanks.
This is from Florida’s digital ID program That has been in the works since 2014.
The smart device does not need to leave the owner’s hand when being verified by a retailer or by law enforcement, making Florida Smart ID a contact-free and convenient way to display proof of identity or age

Reactions: Gasu E. and kimmen

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
I'm going to guess that the delay was not caused by Apple but by the states. Corporations are far more efficient than governments. Government agencies are slow-moving, tech-illiterate, and full of deadbeats.

Agreed, but a feature shouldn’t really be announced to get the public salivating until those modalities are all worked out.

subi257

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2018
New Jersey
Right, like that Apple wireless charge pad thing.

Do you have to give your phone to the police? How does it actually work? Would be ideal if they could just scan your ID with a QR code and you never lose physical possession of your phone...that I can't be okay with.
That is something that I was thinking also. I will not hand my potentially unlocked phone to anybody. On my commuter railroad you buy the ticket on their app and when you activate it a QR code is displayed. The railroad employees just carry a scanner and scan the code.

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
Haha yeah. Too much free coffee and we'd have monthly birthday celebrations with cake. I definitely miss that part of office culture, but there's something to be said about not spending an 90 minutes in the car every day.
Yea, I'm glad you know I was being funny. When I worked in the office years ago (IT work) arrival would be about 8:30, lunch 11:30-1:00, head home about 4:30 to beat traffic. Half the time someone was in my office chatting about something. Work maybe or maybe not. We for sure get more done from home.

BurgDog

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2012
No, you pass your phone over the NFC reader the Cop has and that gives him all the info he needs. Or, like current state apps, you display a QR code that the cop reads with his device that gives the same info.

Last edited:

Complex757

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2016
I hope my state gets involved. I wouldn't have to worry with bringing a wallet to the gym.

BurgDog

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2012
I hope my state gets involved. I wouldn't have to worry with bringing a wallet to the gym.
Unless you are going to an airport and going through a TSA checkpoint next, you'll still need your normal ID. Private companies don't have to accept it, liquor outlets won't have the required NFC readers for a long time, so legally need to see the physical ID card - they are trained to spot fakes. It is only a legal ID if there is an NFC ID reader that can validate it. Otherwise it is just another easily photoshopped picture (with a birthdate more than 21 years ago) that may look like a valid ID.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
This is from Florida’s digital ID program That has been in the works since 2014.
The smart device does not need to leave the owner’s hand when being verified by a retailer or by law enforcement, making Florida Smart ID a contact-free and convenient way to display proof of identity or age
You surely know that people will keep mentioning this over and over and over and over and over and over, despite being told otherwise. I give up.

Johnny907

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2014
Yeah because surprise surprise the states have said they have no interest in paying Apple to manage something that only serves to add value to their products, and I agree completely.
I only support a system that works on all platforms, iOS and Android. Otherwise I don’t want a single penny of my tax money being wasted on what is essential corporate favoritism.

Reactions: BurgDog

senttoschool

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2017
Agreed, but a feature shouldn’t really be announced to get the public salivating until those modalities are all worked out.
Perhaps Apple thought those issues had been worked out. But as we know, government agencies are completely incompetent most of the time.

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
Perhaps Apple thought those issues had been worked out. But as we know, government agencies are completely incompetent most of the time.

I see where you’re going with this. :)

Yes, government agencies are incompetent most of the time. Lately, Apple has been competing competitively with these agencies for the title, is what I hold, demonstrated by Apple history in recent years.

senttoschool

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2017
I see where you’re going with this. :)

Yes, government agencies are incompetent most of the time. Lately, Apple has been competing competitively with these agencies for the title, is what I hold, demonstrated by Apple history in recent years.
No, lately, Apple has been executing extremely well. Stock price is all time high.

Don't compare how the most successful company in the world is run to government agencies.

• Haha
Reactions: macintoshmac

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
No, lately, Apple has been executing extremely well. Stock price is all time high.

Don't compare how the most successful company in the world is run to government agencies.

You clearly aren’t getting nor does it seem like you are open to getting the drift, and I am not going to turn your head towards something you don’t want to see. It’s alright. Peace. :)

Reactions: jicon

senttoschool

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2017
You clearly aren’t getting nor does it seem like you are open to getting the drift, and I am not going to spell everything out. It’s alright. Peace. :)
You're literally saying that the world's most profitable/successful/biggest company executes similarly to a government agency.

You have no drift.

• Haha
Reactions: macintoshmac

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
You're literally saying that the world's most profitable/successful/biggest company executes similarly to a government agency.

You have no drift.

No point engaging with you on what I am talking about. You still haven’t figured it out what I was referring to and likely won’t.

As I said before, let’s just leave it. Apple loves you back for being such a customer.

BurgDog

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2012
Perhaps Apple didn't understand what the issues really are and the actual introduction of a new form of ID that will be legally accepted is much more difficult than Apple thinks.

Apple is thinking like the ID is just a form of credit card and the governments are just like the card issuers so the same methods of validation will work. The infrastructure for Apple Pay to work, the NFC credit card POS terminals, were in wide use for Apple to build on. The infrastructure, the NFC ID validation terminals, only exists at select TSA checkpoints now so Wallet ID is of little practical value. The real government work is in creating the laws and infrastructure for Apple's grand plan to actually be usable - adding ID to Apple Wallet is trivial in comparison.

Governments don't want to waste time and taxpayers money on supporting an ID that can only be used in very few places.

jicon

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2004
Toronto, ON
Oddly, province of Ontario announced a delay in digital ID just the other week to some time to 2022 (Was to be late 2021), and has me wondering if some consultation with Apple was in the works.

There are a fair bit of technologies that Ontario is at least considering, and suspect there may be a few that need to be sorted between Apple's and Google's user offering, and what may need to be worked out elsewhere with the likes of key signing, detail behind any program accessible anywhere in the world to verify, similar to the SMART QR code program for Covid, or readiness to have places like government run liquor stores or airports ready to scan phones.

Fortran-man

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2021
I tried to buy Pegasus (Turkish airline) tickets today. American Express refused to allow payment.
not surprising the apple store in Istanbul has payment issues too.

Last edited by a moderator:

fchain

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2013
Uruguay
Argentina gov have already implemented an app that includes not only personal ID’s but also Pilot ID, sailor ID and many other gov authorization Id’s. Moreover you also have your private health ID for medical purposes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.