Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

031346-Picture 56_500.png

Several readers are reporting that their potentially early iPhone 3G S shipments are being intentionally delayed by Apple until the official launch date of June 19th. While originally scheduled for delivery as early as Wednesday, June 17th, many individuals have noted the following message appear on their shipment tracking:
The receiver requested a hold for a future delivery date. UPS will attempt delivery on date requested
Apple has done similar things in the past to time shipments with official launch dates.

Article Link: Apple Delays iPhone 3G S Pre-Orders Until Friday

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
That's not so bad, at least you know it's shipped. Does anyone know if there will be additional phones on sale in stores (Apple and AT&T) on the 19th, or do the pre-orders suck up all that inventory and the stores won't get any until the pre-orders are filled? Trying to decide whether it's worth going down to a store or not.

iriejedi

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2000
Nor Cal
Sucks But....

This does suck on the surface but the early shipping+ hold does mean that the pre oders will arrive on tim e and not on the 20th or Monday the 22nd...

DVNIEL

Cancelled
Oct 28, 2003
Can't wait to hear the bitching about how this is unfair. So I guess they'd rather camp than have it hand delivered to their door :rolleyes:

liberalart

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2009
Damnit

I thought it was just a blip on mine since it said "receiver requested" but it seems they've jerry-rigged the I won't be home that day functionality to hold it for a few days...

Autodactyl

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2009
I got that message, but then it updated again, and says it will deliver June 17th! Hope they don't stop it again.

_Refurbished_

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2007
Totally fair. You should not be able to get it 2 days before everyone else. It's SMART of Apple to ship them early so there's no issues the day of the launch. Be happy they have it ready to roll.....sheesh, people rated this "negative". It's called smart planning....unlike last year's horrific launch.

davetroup

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2008
I am getting that message now too. Obviously the "receivers" did not request this delay, it's just the mechanism that UPS has to delay a shipment. Disappointing, but not surprising I guess.

My 3Gs is a world traveler already, having traveled from Shenzhen to Hong Kong, then Anchorage (Alaska) and now Louisville (Kentucky.)

RyanMTS

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2009
As of right now, the hold is no longer a problem.. THE HOLD HAS BEEN REMOVED... apparently it was a clearing of customs issue. click here to view up to the minute updates on what's going on with the shipping roller coaster ride. Now we have confirmed reports of Arrival scans and back to the original delivery dates 1-2 days before launch on Friday

yamahadrums

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2007
Sofia, Bulgaria
I am pretty sure the delay is related to the latest Dev Team unlock, which will be released till friday. Easy, Apple, you'll get injected with Ultrasn0w anyway!:)

mjcxp

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2008
One of mine still says tomorrow delivery...

Attachments

• Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    61.8 KB · Views: 291
  • Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    70.1 KB · Views: 276

Andrew K.

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2008
Over 2,500 comments for their tracking numbers in the forums and BAM! Apple crushes your dreams of getting it early:rolleyes:

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
The greatest heist ever pulled.

3:45am in the morning, a Kentucky UPS Hub.

2 million iPhone 3Gses disappear into thin air.

Full of Win

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2007
Ask Apple
This is how you really piss off a customer base. Damn you Apple for your competent OS, excellent design and coherent user interface.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.