Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Naraxus

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2016
Exactly how is allowing content providers to monetize their work a scam?
You know the exact reason why. This isn't some benevolence on the part of Apple like you're making it out to be. Podcasts have always been free until Apple decided that "Hey we can nickle & dime our suckers even more and take an extortionate cut in the process!"

They're not doing it for the creators. They're not doing it for the customer to provide a better experience.

There is the scam.

antiprotest

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2010
I hope others will get something out of this, as in finding podcasts they will subscribe to. But I'm not paying for any podcast, no matter how good. I'll put up with ads. If they're too numerous and annoying I'll abandon the podcast.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I moved back to the podcast app from Overcast a few weeks ago and so far, haven't felt like I was missing anything. I can wait.

• Disagree
Reactions: seanoo

ixxx69

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2009
United States
The sad part is Apple used to be known for their great, easy to use software. They make a lot of great, slick hardware, but their software development has turned to rubbish over the last decade, following all the same industry trends of making software look "simple" and "clean", but difficult, frustrating, and unintuitive to use.

IamTimCook

Suspended
Dec 13, 2016
Apple today informed podcast creators that use the Apple Podcasts platform that the rollout of Podcasts Subscriptions and channels will be delayed until June
@julie I mean, if today is the 28th, then I don’t want to point out captain obvious, but the next corporate business day is June 1st so….

Kinda like if today was a Tuesday and someone sent you an email saying tomorrow is Wednesday. ?

Last edited:
Reactions: xpxp2002

arvinsim

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2018
This is why I love Apple. They don’t rush in with half baked products and services. They take their time, get it right, and then delight consumers with the final product.
They also took the time to admit that the butterfly keyboard was a mistake ?

Vjosullivan

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2013
This is why I love Apple. They don’t rush in with half baked products and services. They take their time, get it right, and then delight consumers with the final product.
Did we read the same article? It talks about Apple overhauling their app, upsetting their users, getting complaints and updating the app again. Quite the opposite of taking their time, getting it right and delighting their customers.

"Prior to the launch of iOS 14.6 and Podcasts Subscriptions, Apple overhauled the Podcasts app with iOS 14.5, and users have been very unhappy with the update. There have been a number of complaints about the usability of the app, which Apple began to address in iOS 14.6, and the email sent out to creators today confirms that further improvements for users are in the works."

Reactions: seanoo

Cancelled
Nov 12, 2020
You know the exact reason why. This isn't some benevolence on the part of Apple like you're making it out to be. Podcasts have always been free until Apple decided that "Hey we can nickle & dime our suckers even more and take an extortionate cut in the process!"

They're not doing it for the creators. They're not doing it for the customer to provide a better experience.

There is the scam.
Bad timing on Apple's part with the Epic court case and antitrust scrutiny in Washington.

Flight Plan

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2014
Southeastern US
I listen to 3 or 4 podcasts on a regular basis. On my $1200 iPhone, through bluetooth to the car or home sound systems.

I paid $1200 for my damned phone, and I never buy sequential iPhone models. Usually I wait 3 or 4 versions before upgrading my hardware. They're visiting their local dispensaries too much if they think I'm going to sign up for podcast subscriptions. I don't even buy apps that have subscriptions!

I know, they have subscriptions at their local dispensaries...that's GOTTA be the reason everybody wants to sell me a subscription!

bollman

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2001
Lund, Sweden
I admire people with the attention span to listen to podcasts. Occasionally I try to listen to an audio book but I loose the plot after 5 minutes. My mind just drifts off to somewhere else ?
I do listen to 3-4 podcasts a week, that's about all I have time for, usually when driving. I'd rather listen to podcasts than stupid commercial radio.
But audio books, no way, I too loose it way too fast and starting thinking about other stuff, and start doing it, and then the book just becomes background noise.

Reactions: RPi-AS and xpxp2002

Dandoodle

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2020
uk, planet earth!
They should roll subscriptions into Apple one. It would drive further subscriptions, and they could say it’s an anti competition move as they’re funding content creators directly. While also doing a tax right off on the lost 30%. Apple needs to go after ad models next. If I’m paying for Apple one I don’t want awful ads in Apple news, App Store or podcasts.

Sebosz

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2015
Poland
Yeah I just love how they didn’t rush half baked Apple Maps, half baked Apple Music, half baked Apple Arcade (when there was less than 100 games) or half baked Siri, which, after all these years, is still half baked. Oh and don’t forget half baked Apple Watch. I dont feel sorry for people who bought gold one which is now probably useless when it comes to smart stuff lol.

xpxp2002

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2016
Like it was already said, the half baked product (the updated app) was already pushed out, with no beta testing at all.

If you recall, 14.5 had EIGHT betas, none of which had the podcasts app so public could test the look & feel of it. I'm sure they would have had received the negative feedback on how bad the UI was.
Feedback they would have subsequently ignored anyway.

I’m just glad they are admitting to botching this one and going back to try to fix it. Beats the way they took away grouped notifications in iOS 10, stayed silent for nearly two years, then waited until iOS 12 to bring back a worse version of it, and haven’t touched it again in two years.

xxray

macrumors 68040
Jul 27, 2013

Have you used any of their services? Apple is so good at what they do, except for their services software. From Apple Music to Podcasts to Books, there are many bugs, everything feels clunky and slow, and the UI is often illogical and not intuitive. Truly, I don’t understand how they’re so consistently bad at services software. It’s like they design it, but don’t actually use it in practice.

Reactions: Steve Adams

Steve Adams

Suspended
Dec 16, 2020
Have you used any of their services? Apple is so good at what they do, except for their services software. From Apple Music to Podcasts to Books, there are many bugs, everything feels clunky and slow, and the UI is often illogical and not intuitive. Truly, I don’t understand how they’re so consistently bad at services software. It’s like they design it, but don’t actually use it in practice.
Yep. exactly this. I have moved from apple music to spotify, news+ to readly, icloud to one drive, fitness+ to ANYTHING else, and TV to amazon and other services. Apple is NOT the company I started using when the iphone first came out, that's for sure. This is happening to ALOT of places. Bean counters and greed ruin many a great company these days. Even entire industries. I used to work in insurace restorations. When I was doing it, there was a mutual agreement between contractors and adjusters that you work together and whats right is right, and whats wrong is wrong. Then, bean counters and greed for maximum profits and cost cutting moved in and ruined the entire industry. To the point where insurance companies cannot find anyone to work with them besides the few national contractor companies out there.

This corporate greed needs to stop. sitting on top of 200 billion in PROFITS is silly! time to drop prices and innovate again there timmy!

mxrider88

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2019
Sydney, AU
Yeah they don’t launch half baked stuff.. are you for real?
they have been launching half baked operating systems since 2011 and the worse part is that they don’t even try to rectify most of the issues but they leave them as they are for decades. See photos app, iPhone syncing, continuity/handoff, Siri etc.
Just think of macOS Catalina

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.