Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Jul 11, 2003
Apple Inc (AAPL:NASDAQ)

Apple Statement

PR Newswire 4:30 pm April 12, 2007

Apple today released the following statement:

iPhone has already passed several of its required certification tests and is on schedule to ship in late June as planned. We can't wait until customers get their hands (and fingers) on it and experience what a revolutionary and magical product it is. However, iPhone contains the most sophisticated software ever shipped on a mobile device, and finishing it on time has not come without a price -- we had to borrow some key software engineering and QA resources from our Mac OS(R) X team, and as a result we will not be able to release Leopard at our Worldwide Developers Conference in early June as planned. While Leopard's features will be complete by then, we cannot deliver the quality release that we and our customers expect from us. We now plan to show our developers a near final version of Leopard at the conference, give them a beta copy to take home so they can do their f inal testing, and ship Leopard in October. We think it will be well worth the wait. Life often presents tradeoffs, and in this case we're sure we've made the right ones.

NOTE: Apple, the Apple logo, Mac, Mac OS, Macintosh and iPhone are trademarks of Apple. Other company and product names may be trademarks of their respective owners.

SOURCE Apple Inc.

Lynn Fox, +1-408-974-4300, or lfox@apple.com, or Steve Dowling, +1-408-974-1896, or dowling@apple.com, both of Apple http://www.apple.com/

Last Price $92.19 at 4:00PM ET on April 12, 2007 ET. Price when alert was set $70.03

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
Where did you find this?

That is a bummer. October seems to be a long time after June. It's like 3 -4 months. Which was about the time it took apple to go from 10.4.0 to 10.4.2.

mac-er

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
I like how they start off the release with...Hey, the iPhone is great, and oh, by the way, OS X is delayed.

And, let's make sure there are no hypocrites here. Everyone that have MS crap about Vista being delayed should now do the same for Apple.

Or, let's here the complaining about how the Mac is being abandoned.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Jul 11, 2003
It came in an email from my brokerage house. I receive numerous emails each day about Apple.

I wish this were spam.

Makes sense though. A delayed iPhone would be a huge blow to Apple given all the hype. A delayed Leopard much less so.

EDIT: Here's a PDF of the email

Attachments

• Apple Inc.pdf
    48.6 KB · Views: 1,468

szark

macrumors 68030
May 14, 2002
Arid-Zone-A
Definitely not great news, but it's official. More waiting for everyone...

EDIT: isn't it amusing that Apple's PR releases always show up on their site after every other news site has reported it?

I like how they start off the release with...Hey, the iPhone is great, and oh, by the way, OS X is delayed.

And, let's make sure there are no hypocrites here. Everyone that have MS crap about Vista being delayed should now do the same for Apple.

Or, let's here the complaining about how the Mac is being abandoned.

iphone will make them tons of money, leopard won't

mac-er

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
iphone will make them tons of money, leopard won't

You really need to read the financial results of the company..these OS releases result in huge amounts of money for the company. Millions more copies of the OS will sell over the iPhone.

mustard

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2005
NJ
So how many people are still going to wait to buy a new system until Leopard is released?

hyperpasta

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2005
New Jersey
Ah well

There goes the stock price. :(

Of course, looking on the bright side, we now know for sure that we'll see the top secret features shown at WWDC. Unless that gets delayed too.

Now where will iLife fit in? Ugggghhh...

Allotriophagy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 5, 2006
It's surprising that removing "Computer" from their name was not followed up by replacing it with "Gadgets and Gizmos Only".

Cue all the "SHOULD I WAIT UNTIL OCTOBER TO BUY A NEW MAC?????" threads. Release the hounds of bore!

mac-er

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
So how many people are still going to wait to buy a new system until Leopard is released?

There is already a pause in system buying. The stock will take a big hit tomorrow. It has already lost 2% in after hours trading

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Jul 11, 2003
Please tell me you are being sarcastic...

Are you kidding me? When they announced the iPhone, it was reported on for days by every news organization, TV news, Internet news. Soft news shows did 5 minute iPhone puff pieces. If Apple announced it wouldn't ship when they said it would, it would knock Imus off the front pages of newspapers.

A delayed Leopard will not have nearly that effect.

BigJohno

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2007
San Francisco
What the hell Apple. Dont turn into microsoft and delay and delay and delay!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

although. Nice to hear that the iPhone is still on track. :)

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
Apple Delays Leopard Release

Apple has today announced that the release of MacOS X 10.5 Leopard will be delayed until October due to the development of iPhone.
iPhone contains the most sophisticated software ever shipped on a mobile device, and finishing it on time has not come without a price -- we had to borrow some key software engineering and QA resources from our Mac OS® X team, and as a result we will not be able to release Leopard at our Worldwide Developers Conference in early June as planned.
Developers will be given a beta copy of Leopard at the Worldwide Developers Conference in early June.

Are you kidding me? When they announced the iPhone, it was reported on for days by every news organization, TV news, Internet news. Soft news shows did 5 minute iPhone puff pieces. If Apple announced it wouldn't ship when they said it would, it would knock Imus off the front pages of newspapers.

A delayed Leopard will not have nearly that effect.

THANK YOU!

What I should have said earlier was that apple's stock would nose dive if the phone was delayed. Your blurb captured that perfectly.

aricher

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
Ouch! This is horrible news. So much for a spring delivery. I guess they expect to make more off the iPhone ecosystem than their desktop/portable OS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.