Apple & Dell laptops banned from flights!

AndyR

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 9, 2005
Auckland, New Zealand

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
Thats crap..nd Apple and Dell recall millions of batterys to fix the problem..also MacBooks and MacBook Pros are not effected(i'm sure some Dells are not effect either) thats total crap!

Also do you have a link? So one can read about it

Oryan

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2005
Lincoln, NE
srf4real said:
I'd rather be safe knowing some idiot couldn't have brought a defective battery on the plane I'm on... Arrive alive, as we say in Florida!
Aww, come on. Where's your sense of adventure? :p

Oryan

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2005
Lincoln, NE
Found an article from two days ago:

25 August 2006 Dan Warne

Qantas is seeking advice on whether it should place restrictions on the use of Apple Mac notebooks on its aircraft, following the computer maker’s recall of 1.8million batteries today.

A Qantas spokesman told APC this afternoon that the company was seeking further information on the precise risk posed by the batteries in Apple PowerBooks and iBooks, and whether they posed the same risk as Dell batteries.

“We have put limitations on Dell computers and at this stage we are awaiting further information from Apple,” said the spokesman.

Apple’s product recall only covers discontinued models of notebook: iBook and PowerBook. Owners of the company’s new flagship model, the MacBook Pro, may face arguments with flight attendants if Qantas does institute restrictions: the MacBook Pro looks exactly the same as a PowerBook.

Yesterday, Qantas said that Dell notebook users could only use their laptop on a plane on battery power, or with the battery removed and the unit plugged into the power outlet in first or business class.

Dell seems to be delighted that Apple has recalled the batteries, dedicating a whole post on its Direct2Dell blog commending Apple on the move. It was also at pains to point out that its 4.1million recalled batteries are only a small share of the 24.9million batteries it shipped over the two year period.

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
This is total crap. My 14" iBook was totally unaffected and I have to suffer for their stupidity? What else am I supposted to do on a several hour flight to the east coast?

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
I think they need to check to make sure its not a bad battery

Simple-Show the laptop--is it a iBook 12'' or PB 12'' or 15''.. if it is have them check the serial numbers of the battery. For the 17'' PowerBook, MacBook and MBP, its not hard to check if its one if them.

17''PB- It has a 17'' screen
17''MBP-17'' screen and the IR port also says MacBook Pro on it
15'' MBP IR port, and say MacBook Pro on it
MacBook-13'' Magsafe port, keyboard change, and Says MacBook on it

Just make a checklist of how to tell if its on the the effected laptops, and then check those battery's

That not hard

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Gone but not forgotten.
srf4real said:
I'd rather be safe knowing some idiot couldn't have brought a defective battery on the plane I'm on... Arrive alive, as we say in Florida!
People in Floriduh say a lot of stupid things, especially considering the way they drive. You watch the news. You know how many people are injured on Floriduh's roads.

I don't fly usually so I'm not affected but I wonder if this ban will dissipate in the near future. Of course, this could end up, along with the terrorism bits, to push all electronic devices into the luggage hold.

yippy

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2004
Chicago, IL
Bans like this are a wonderful way to send an airline towards bankruptcy. How many business travelers would fly an airline that doesn't allow them to take their laptop on board? About none. I know I would never fly if I couldn't take my laptop on board with me because I do not trust it in checked baggage at all and barely trust the mail system with it either.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
That is stupid.

All laptop batteries are dangerous, but Dell and Apple are taking action - we should be more worried about the other brands who aren't.

savar

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2003
District of Columbia
AndyR said:
http://www.smh.com.au/news/biztech/safety-first-for-carryon-dells/2006/08/23/1156012601607.html

Seems Quantas and no Virgin Atlantic are banning all Apple and Dell laptops from use in flight because of this battery issue.

Thats quite annoying as considering is only a small percentage of laptops that are affected everyone suffers. Dam, I'm going to LA in a few weeks so won't be able to use my Macbook on the way :(

Seems another knew jerk reaction to me....
What if you promise not to turn it on?? Or remove the battery completely? Are you allowed to check your laptop if they won't let you carry it on? I mean seriously, a lot of people need their laptops.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
savar said:
What if you promise not to turn it on?? Or remove the battery completely? Are you allowed to check your laptop if they won't let you carry it on? I mean seriously, a lot of people need their laptops.
My experience has taught me the exact opposite; you have to carry-on all laptops.

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
zap2 said:
I think they need to check to make sure its not a bad battery

Simple-Show the laptop--is it a iBook 12'' or PB 12'' or 15''.. if it is have them check the serial numbers of the battery. For the 17'' PowerBook, MacBook and MBP, its not hard to check if its one if them.

17''PB- It has a 17'' screen
17''MBP-17'' screen and the IR port also says MacBook Pro on it
15'' MBP IR port, and say MacBook Pro on it
MacBook-13'' Magsafe port, keyboard change, and Says MacBook on it

Just make a checklist of how to tell if its on the the effected laptops, and then check those battery's

That not hard
don't you think security takes long enough already?:eek:

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Oct 21, 2004
bousozoku said:
I don't fly usually so I'm not affected but I wonder if this ban will dissipate in the near future. Of course, this could end up, along with the terrorism bits, to push all electronic devices into the luggage hold.
I can't (don't want to) imagine what would happen if this policy spreads to other carriers, particularly with international flights. The Custom Officials (Aduana) in South American ports have not earned much if any trust from travelers. And Miami, of all places, has one of the worst reputations for baggages being opened and Customs people treating themselves to early Christmas presents. We have had poles/or crowbars rammed down through one piece, in the past.

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
EricNau said:
That is stupid.

All laptop batteries are dangerous, but Dell and Apple are taking action - we should be more worried about the other brands who aren't.

Very good point EricNau. :)

Guess that you will have to cover up the Apple logo on your MacBook Pro/MacBook and run Windoze XPee via Boot Camp in order to use a Mac on a plane. ;) :D

flyfish29

macrumors 68020
Feb 4, 2003
New HAMpshire
So the article quoted above says that only battery powered or with battery removed may be used on plane- does this mean that I can safely use my iBook (one of the recalled battery ones) with the battery as long as I don't work with it plugged in with battery charging?

So when are these dells and Macs exploding/catching fire? Is it when charging, during use not charging, what?

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
EricNau said:
That is stupid.

I don't think that's very smart either.

I think this is a bit of an overreaction, but it's an overreaction caused by a real possibility, and both Dells and Apple's have been using batteries that are admittedly prone to catching fire.

dmw007 said:
When you least expect it........then KABOOM!!! ;) :D
Or worse.........snakes are released......on a plane. :eek: