Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kbaegis

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2021
Apple <<< Valve

I love that Valve actually can’t respond with detailed customer data “because they don’t need it”. Finally a company that isn’t try to screw its customers over by spying on them.

yurc

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2016
inside your DSDT
Apple rejects Steam Link game streaming app over 'business conflicts' in 2018, so clearly Steam now can says same reason this time.

GizmoDVD

macrumors 68030
Oct 11, 2008
SoCal
A couple of opinions here.

First thought... Apple has total legal control over the apps allowed in the App Store, but they do not have a monopoly on the apps in the store. If there's an App Store Exclusive, it's a deal between Apple and the publisher. These are few and far between, and these apps aren't generally available on other platforms at all.

Evernote Premium is everywhere, for example. Angry Birds, YouTube, all of them.

The problem with the XBOX/Play Station analogy here is that you can choose *not* to buy a game through the XBOX online market place, and instead only buy physical copies from where ever. That option does not exist for apps of any kind through the Apple App Store. This is why the aforementioned are not considered monopolistic entities. There are tens of thousands of other options.

If you choose an Apple iPhone and want to install a binary app on it legally, you have to do that through the Apple App Store. Period, end of story. Which leads me to the...

Second thought... no one gave a crap about the App Store (or its rates) until it was successful and the place to be. One users began to associate apps and the App Store 1:1 then "competitors" took note. When Apple introduced the App Store, the industry laughed. Then it generated billions of dollars in revenue, and fewer people laughed. Its success was taught in colleges and its model was replicated throughout the entire software industry. Everyone charges 30% to be in a store. Why? Apple made it standard.

Now... the question has to be... at what point does starting and growing your own exclusive store for your own devices become a monopoly? Is there a user count? Downloads? Device count in the market? Or is it simply when publishers decide that the value being provided by the store is no longer worth the 30% that made them hundreds of millions of dollars?

Third... Apple is asking Steam for numbers because they're looking for data to defend themselves against a lawsuit brought on by a (now) competitor in the space. Tim Sweeney isn't in this for the users, he's in it for Tim Sweeney and a few hundred million dollars he feels he's wasted over the years. There's one easy way to understand the value that the App Store brings to the market, and that's to voluntarily remove your apps until this matter is settled. But he won't ever do that. Why?
30% was around way beside the iPhone existed

Reactions: zerologic

garylapointe

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2006
Dearborn (Detroit), MI, USA
You just made my case as to why I would rather have all my apps available in one App Store, rather than having them fragmented amongst multiple different storefronts.
Where is that game? Oops, I bought it again. Or oops, that store had it cheaper but they don't have it for the Mac (lots of games like that on Epic, while Steam has the Mac version too).

0423MAC

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2020
Apple thinking that Valve out of all companies is going to provide any information to support a company attempting to continue it's aggressive monopolistic distribution practices is HILARIOUS.

Do they know know of the history of steam on Windows at all? ?

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Apple thinking that Valve out of all companies is going to provide any information to support a company attempting to continue it's aggressive monopolistic distribution practices is HILARIOUS.

So your understanding of a court order is that it’s optional?

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2002
Apple DOES give out App Store sales data when subpoenad. I was watching a case last week where apple had provided this data as part of a class action law suit.

Apple, itself, would never see valve’s information - only the law firm it has hired would get to see it. This is done all the time in lawsuits.
Yeah and if Epic wasn’t trying to win an un-winnable case, this request wouldn’t have even been made.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2002

Valve has the exact same monopoly though. Apple has a monopoly on and complete control of the App Store, Valve has a monopoly on and complete control of Steam! Come to think of it, Epic Games has a monopoly on the Epic Games Store, WHAT IS GOING ON HERE?!?!?

• Haha
Reactions: sinoka56

sinoka56

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2013
Valve has the exact same monopoly though. Apple has a monopoly on and complete control of the App Store, Valve has a monopoly on and complete control of Steam! Come to think of it, Epic Games has a monopoly on the Epic Games Store, WHAT IS GOING ON HERE?!?!?
You're understanding of the lawsuit.

The store is not the lawsuit but the OS platform that doesn't allow other stores.

Last edited:

playtech1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2014
You seem to be misunderstanding how this works. If valve complies with the subpoena, none of the information that valve considers sensitive would be shown to anyone who works at apple. It would only be seen by the outside law firm that Apple is using for the lawsuit.

What's bad form is making unfounded allegations about Apple's motivations based on one's complete misunderstanding of how discovery works in federal lawsuits.
Presumably the lawyers are not looking at this information for academic interest, they will be wanting to use the information they glean in the pleadings in the case, which Apple and Epic will certainly see (and which may well also become public - that won't be in Valve's control).

Apple may be once removed from direct access to the spreadsheets or whatever (assuming you are correct as to how the process would work), but I cannot see how Apple can be entirely divorced from gaining insight from that data, otherwise what would be the point of the whole exercise?

zerologic

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2008
Another thing to consider is lock in. If you buy an app that's available on another platform and store system, you have to buy that software again (usually) if you move from iOS to Android for example. One solution here is to "encourage" Apple and Google (and the others) to further encourage software makers to treat a purchase as a purchase no matter where it's made. Then the problem is closer to solved as all of the stores would have cross-buy between platforms. Maybe?

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
The problem with the XBOX/Play Station analogy here is that you can choose *not* to buy a game through the XBOX online market place, and instead only buy physical copies from where ever.
This does not solve the issue from a development perspective. To get the Xbox branded physical case, and to get actually on the Xbox system to begin with you still need to pay Microsoft. It is actually cheaper digitally than physically. Like I have always said, I would love to create educational Xbox games and just release them on my website for download. But this is not possible as side loading is not allowed on Xbox.

zerologic

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2008
This does not solve the issue from a development perspective. To get the Xbox branded physical case, and to get actually on the Xbox system to begin with you still need to pay Microsoft. It is actually cheaper digitally than physically. Like I have always said, I would love to create educational Xbox games and just release them on my website for download. But this is not possible as side loading is not allowed on Xbox.
Super valid point. The curation process is the root of the problem. App Store owners want to curate and control quality, and allowing a "legal" (re ToS) process for loading apps would circumvent that control. Is access to the audience worth the cost of playing the game? What are the fees, do you know off hand?

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
You just made my case as to why I would rather have all my apps available in one App Store, rather than having them fragmented amongst multiple different storefronts.
Seriously, I find it absolutely difficult to know what streaming service offers what show. I don't want it to be like this for games or apps. I have to use Justwatch website to know if its on Hulu, Disney, iTunes, Netflix, CBS, whatever whatever.

garylapointe

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2006
Dearborn (Detroit), MI, USA
And Microsoft charges you (the developer) to release free Xbox apps?

0423MAC

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2020
Not the same at all. Valve developed steam on a platform where others can also compete for customers.

they tried with steam machines and failed miserably

McG2k1

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2011
Apple’s gonna have to climb pretty high on their cross to get the non-cultists on their side on this one.

DoctorTech

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2014
Indianapolis, IN
Apple is not the good guy in this lawsuit.
I am on Apple's side in the lawsuit against Epic but I am struggling to connect the dots on the subpoena against Valve. Several post have mentioned that Epic drew Valve / Steam into the disagreement with some statement they made but I have not read about that so I will have to look it up. On the surface, I don't understand why Apple is demanding sensitive info from Valve but I need to dig in further to try to understand it.

BuffaloTF

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2008
Steam doesn't have a monopoly on game distribution on windows.

They do, though - very much so. Dominant market position equates to the same - it's called a natural monopoly. Just ask pre-1983 AT&T about that, or De Beers Diamonds. Both have "competitors" and both were (and are, for De Beers' case) monopolies. Valve also maintains a Most Favored Nations clause so they get the best terms with publishers across the board.

• Haha

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2002
but the OS platform that doesn't allow other stores.
Much like other OS platforms that don’t allow other stores. This won’t win primarily because of what it means not only for the Apple Store but for any other stores in any market.

Not the same at all. Valve developed steam on a platform where others can also compete for customers.

they tried with steam machines and failed miserably
No, exactly the same. Valve owns and controls everything that happens on their store, Apple does the same. EVERY company owns and controls the products they create.

• Haha
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.