Apple Demos iMac Pro at Final Cut Pro X Creative Summit

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 30, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple set up an iMac Pro at the third annual FCPX Creative Summit in Cupertino, California over the weekend, providing attendees with a closer look at the powerful workstation ahead of its December launch.

Apple appears to have allowed attendees to take pictures of the iMac Pro at the event. French blog MacGeneration rounded up some of the photos shared on social platforms like Instagram and Twitter.

[​IMG]
    iMac Pro via Twitter user Softron Media

iMac Pro shares the same design as the standard iMac, but with an all-flash architecture, a new thermal design, and four Thunderbolt 3 ports. It's also distinguished by its sleek, exclusive Space Gray enclosure.

The all-in-one computer is bundled with matching Space Gray accessories, including the Magic Mouse 2, Magic Trackpad 2, and a wireless Magic Keyboard with Numeric Keypad introduced at WWDC 2017 in June.

[​IMG]
    iMac Pro via Twitter user Chris Fenwick

Apple said the iMac Pro will also feature up to an 18-core Intel Xeon processor, top-of-the-line Radeon Pro Vega graphics, up to 4TB of SSD storage, and up to 128GB of ECC RAM, with a starting price of $4,999 in the United States.

The FCPX Creative Summit, hosted by Future Media Concepts, featured three days of training on Apple's professional video editing software Final Cut Pro X. Apple itself announced that Final Cut Pro X 10.4 will launch later this year.

[​IMG]
    iMac Pro via Instagram user runehansen

Final Cut Pro X 10.4 will include new color tools, like color wheels and a white balance picker. It will include support for HEVC, the new video format introduced in iOS 11 and macOS High Sierra, and direct import of iOS for iMovie timelines. The new version of the software will also support VR and HDR workflows.

Article Link: Apple Demos iMac Pro at Final Cut Pro X Creative Summit

2. multipasser macrumors member

3. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

I wish Apple would sell the space gray accessories so I could have ones that match my MacBook.

4. dannys1 Suspended

dannys1

Yet another shade of Space Grey! It's much darker than the MacBook Pro.

I've started to prefer silver on the Macbook Pro again, I think it looks great on the new models, it makes the Touch Bar look like Porshe design (though i've gone for Space Grey anyway on the last two, silver next time)

5. joshwenke macrumors regular

joshwenke

The cost of an extra 4GB RAM module on Apple's store can be up to $200. Now imagine the cost of all the internal upgrades added together. That's where you get the $5000 price tag from.

6. PackFan macrumors 6502

PackFan

Sexy in black...

But too expensive for my needs.

7. Attirex macrumors 6502a

Attirex

Shoooo, have to admit, it at least looks nice. Will now step aside to let "creative professionals" debate the relative merits (or lack thereof) of the internals.

8. imran5720 macrumors regular

imran5720

9. helyar macrumors newbie

GUYS does that mouse have a charging port on the front? Check the second photo

10. DisNerd macrumors member

Hey but can I get a space grey Magic Mouse standalone k thanks

11. tillathenun macrumors member

I'm going to wait for the new Mac Pro, realise the same specs + new display cost £10,000 and then end up getting one of these buggers instead. Sigh.

12. Jefe's MacAir macrumors 6502

13. laimis17 macrumors newbie

those who are using trackpad are all lefthanded :)

14. Jarman74 macrumors regular

Jarman74

The Lightning port on Magic Mouse 2 is on the underside of the device. Can you believe it?

15. Cheruman macrumors member

Cheruman

16. Macintoshrumors macrumors 6502

Macintoshrumors

I don’t need an iMac that powerful but I do need that space gray magic keyboard and trackpad.

17. longofest Editor emeritus

longofest

In order to increase the cooling, did they take away user-replaceable RAM???

18. peterdevries macrumors 68040

peterdevries

Ugh Porsche Design. It is the Hugo Boss of industrial design. They only do brushed metal, grascale and black. They must only have grayscale monitors in the design office.

19. GuilleA, Oct 30, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2017

GuilleA macrumors regular

GuilleA

I don't understand this machine, at all. Zero upgradeability, literally none. I can (barely) understand this mentality in a MacBook Pro as you want to have it thin and light, but what's the reason you cannot even upgrade the RAM in this? Add a back panel, let us add more ram and an additional stick of NVMe storage.

20. gugy macrumors 68040

gugy

21. adamjackson macrumors 68000

That looks beautiful. I'd gladly pay a $100 premium on a standard 27" iMac to have the Space Grey color-scheme applied (similar to the Black MacBook in 2010).

I don't need an iMac Pro but I'd love to have a Black iMac.

22. jmgregory1 macrumors 68000

jmgregory1

Chicago and a few other places around the world
    Definitely digging the space gray iMac Pro. Should be a great long-term desktop buy for those people who don't necessarily need the power it offers today, as it should last a good 5-7 years, especially given the shift to all solid state drives.

At $5k to start, it's certainly going to be an investment, but when you consider a single iPhone X can cost $1400, it makes the iMac Pro seem reasonable (even if unobtainable for most).

23. RickInHouston macrumors 65816

I stopped reading at $5,000.00

Nice machine, but for this day and age - it's insane.

24. mikecorp Suspended

mikecorp

no matter what you call it and put in it. It is still an Imac that is difficult or almost impossible to upgrade. Apple proved that there is 5 year cycle and after there is no support for that device. 1000 euro per year (standard config) is ridiculous for normal people or small medium company. Interestingly Apple shows off Final Cut pro. Of course because there is nothing else. They killed Aperture entire Ilife experience was redesigned and features removed. I just wonder how quiet it is when GPU runs full power. SSD 1 TB is no go. What else is there?

PS: I have Upgraded Mac PRO from 2006. Who can beat this?

25. Tanax macrumors 6502a

Not saying it's not worth it for those that really need its power ... but $4999, hot damn! :D