Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SRLMJ23

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
Central New York
These look promising. But wouldn't these CPU's and GPU's throttle a lot in this thin chassy/display? As these are meant for Pro's and they are stationary computers wouldn't it be smarter to do something in order to achieve better thermal design? I don't think the intended audience really care if it got a slightly thicker design?

Thermal management has always been an issue in iMacs, however, at WWDC 2017 where they previewed this they showed the new thermal management system they have in this thing...looks impressive, but I still bet there will be issues.

https://www.macworld.com/article/3199549/macs/imac-pro-features-faq-pricing-specs-release.html

Scroll to the bottom picture and it shows the thermal management system even animated, haha!

:apple:

Reactions: dabotsonline

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
Thermal management has always been an issue in iMacs, however, at WWDC 2017 where they previewed this they showed the new thermal management system they have in this thing...looks impressive, but I still bet there will be issues.

https://www.macworld.com/article/3199549/macs/imac-pro-features-faq-pricing-specs-release.html

Scroll to the bottom picture and it shows the thermal management system even animated, haha!

for the 8-12 cores i think its enough, i wonder for the 18 cores how it will be

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
Yet another shade of Space Grey! It's much darker than the MacBook Pro.

I've started to prefer silver on the Macbook Pro again, I think it looks great on the new models, it makes the Touch Bar look like Porshe design (though i've gone for Space Grey anyway on the last two, silver next time)
Hmm, I wish my MBP was this same darker space grey as the iMac Pro. Reminds me of the designs in the new star trek movies.

If new macbook's don't adopt the darker shade I'm with you, going back to silver.

SRLMJ23

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
Central New York
for the 8-12 cores i think its enough, i wonder for the 18 cores how it will be

Ehh, you have to remember that the VEGA graphics is under the same thermal umbrella...they are not separate, I mean just look at the picture in the link I provided. So with the 8 core and VEGA I think it will be fine, however, with the 12 and 18 core plus VEGA...probably not going to be the best, lets say.

PortableLover

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2012
england
Any chance some parts are uogradable?

Curious to see how this performa, especially how it does under load for at least a few days.

Most likely will be getting a z8 soon. Still would like to see how this performs. Does this imac have a true 10 bit display? Or is it 8+FRC?

Reactions: dabotsonline

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
Ehh, you have to remember that the VEGA graphics is under the same thermal umbrella...they are not separate, I mean just look at the picture in the link I provided. So with the 8 core and VEGA I think it will be fine, however, with the 12 and 18 core plus VEGA...probably not going to be the best, lets say.

you think that VEGA has more than 160W ?

Last edited:

SRLMJ23

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
Central New York
That thing maxed out is probably going to be around $12,000-15,000! Pay that much and you cannot upgrade anything, ha, Tim and company must be taking some good drugs...I would love whatever they have, haha!

Reactions: jetjaguar

iamgalt

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2012
It looks pretty nice, but why are they providing both a mouse and trackpad? Is there a scenario where you need both of those?

kittonian

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2008
Austin, TX
Apple has completely missed the boat for pro users once again. I don't know one professional that wants a computer with a built in display. We use very specific displays in our various industries, whether it's video, audio, 3D, etc. We also need to be able to swap out drives, upgrade RAM, etc. when necessary. Buying some all-in-one iMac on steroids for a huge amount of money is asinine.

Stop trying "new things" and just go back to the tower we all knew and loved, and put some beefier components inside. Otherwise, we'll all keep sticking to our upgraded 2010 Mac Pro machines that are now rivaling the initial Geekbench scores of this new iMac Pro.

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
That thing maxed out is probably going to be around $12,000-15,000! Pay that much and you cannot upgrade anything, ha, Tim and company must be taking some good drugs...I would love whatever they have, haha!

yes you pay 15.000$ but for the next 3-4 years you are good to make a lot of money with it. i dont think in 2-3 years the newest cpu gpu ram etc will be twice as fast

Reactions: e1me5 and SRLMJ23

SRLMJ23

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
Central New York
you think that VEGA has more than 125W ?

The Vega 56 requires 210 watts, and the Vega 64 requires a whopping 295 watts!! They should go with Nvidia cards because that is one area they ALWAYS have beat AMD at, power usage! The Nvidia 1080 only requires 180 watts.

Nick A

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2009
Anyone else feel like the design looks outdated?

Maybe I’m just hung up on this whole bezeless trend but I think the design just looks a few years old. I wish they would’ve slimmed down the bezzels especially on the bottom.

Also no upgradability on a $5,000 machine?

I’m not really sure how well this will go over.

Reactions: c0ppo

BillyBobBongo

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2007
On The Interweb Thingy!
It looks pretty nice, but why are they providing both a mouse and trackpad? Is there a scenario where you need both of those?
It comes with the mouse. Pretty sure the Trackpad will be a paid upgrade, as it is now.

imac-pro-in-the-box.png

Reactions: LethalOptical

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
Apple has completely missed the boat for pro users once again. I don't know one professional that wants a computer with a built in display. We use very specific displays in our various industries, whether it's video, audio, 3D, etc. We also need to be able to swap out drives, upgrade RAM, etc. when necessary. Buying some all-in-one iMac on steroids for a huge amount of money is asinine.

Stop trying "new things" and just go back to the tower we all knew and loved, and put some beefier components inside. Otherwise, we'll all keep sticking to our upgraded 2010 Mac Pro machines that are now rivaling the initial Geekbench scores of this new iMac Pro.
you are talking about mac pro, and not imac pro. This is the imac pro and IT is NOT suppose to replace the upcoming Mac PRO
[doublepost=1509376511][/doublepost]
It comes with the mouse. Pretty sure the Trackpad will be a paid upgrade, as it is now.

View attachment 729163
that magic keyboard screams for backlit....it is gorgeous

MacLoveMacHate

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2017
Looking badass. I haven't yet owned a space grey Apple product, but I would imagine the iMac being non-mobile would make it less susceptible to scratching? I'd love a keyboard with black keys as the white shows exposes dirt over time, but think it's kinda cool this is only available at this echelon.

SRLMJ23

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
Central New York
yes you pay 15.000$ but for the next 3-4 years you are good to make a lot of money with it. i dont think in 2-3 years the newest cpu gpu ram etc will be twice as fast

The problem is, when you spend that kind of money and say in two years IF Intel releases a new incredible Xeon, or IF AMD releases a killer new GPU, you CANNOT upgrade the damn machine! Forget that!!! It is utter insanity, that is why I say Timmy is taking some good drugs, totally trippin'!;)

Look at people with their 2010 Mac Pros that they can UPGRADE and are killing it in Geekbench scores. Some of those 2010's rival todays top computers.

Last edited:

Polymorphic

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2010
you are talking about mac pro, and not imac pro. This is the imac pro and IT is NOT suppose to replace the upcoming Mac PRO
[doublepost=1509376511][/doublepost]
that magic keyboard screams for backlit....it is gorgeous

Which begs the question...what is the intended market for this system? It is priced like a professional workstation while not meeting the needs of many users in the market for a professional workstation. The iMac Pro is the answer to a question nobody asked.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.