Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JayCee842

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2013
Apple is not lying. They have never done anything to betray our trust and confidence, and that is why we love them. We have every reason to believe what Apple has said here is the whole truth.

Just like when Steve lied and denied the iPhone 4 having the antennagate problem?

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
You don't think it's "breaking the rules" when the NSA is violating your 4th amendment right in the United States constitution?

From what I understand this is still to be determined. It is suppose to be that they need a court order to run surveillance on anyone in the US… from what's been leaked, it seems that they are monitoring outside the US.

The obvious answer here is there should be a review of this activity and there needs to be accountability if any laws have been broken. Also, there should be a serious update on what's acceptable… we live in a new electronic world very different from as little as 10 years ago.

Todd B.

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2013
So an Ad Hominis attack followed up by some non-relevant examples in form of a false dichotomy.

Are you paid to spread disinformation? Some nice skills there, bro.

It's none of that. There's no real relevant discussion when you started on a premise of fear mongering and delusional hypotheticals.. especially considering there's not been ONE case of that in 200+ years.

I'm just sick of people who have no clue misrepresenting the 4th amendment because they can get page hits and "likes" on some internet message board.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
This entire thread makes me very depressed.

On one hand: you have individuals who are so ignorant and careless with their "I have nothing to hide" argument, and you simply can't get through to them.

On the other extreme: you have the individuals who are using what has been revealed to further their own political agendas, or extremist conspiracy theories... using a little bit of fact to further myth. Which really perplexes me, considering what IS actually going on should be scary enough.

It is exactly BOTH these types that the NSA and entities with similar goals rely on to marginalize the issue, make it seem stupid an irrelevant, and to muddy the conversation. Between the people with their head in the sand, and those who are embellishing to the point where it's outlandish and improbable, the infighting keeps both sides occupied... while people who are on the fence begin to lose interest, and forget about what's really going on.

And so what happens? Absolutely nothing. Surveillance states get their way. And this is how democracy falls. Not with a bang... but with a lot of silly people fighting their trivial little squabbles.

objc

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2007
Never

I'm glad NSA's capabilities would never be used on people not associated with terrorism.

Thing is, I do have something to hide. I want my private conversations with my wife to be private, hidden from other people, including the NSA. If she's away for a few weeks and we're talking about our sex life on the phone or skype, I don't want some voyeur at the NSA listening in. My private life is none of the government's damn business.

johncrab

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
Three Mile Island wasn't nearly as bad as Chernobyl. FACT! We win!

Quite true. TMI was built to much higher standards. The similarity was the backside covering that went on once a problem occurred. Operators tried to wish it away, cover it up and hope both at TMI and Chernobyl. At TMI, a more transparent system allowed information to rattle up and out, reading the desk of the President within minutes. Fortunately, the president had personal nuclear experience in the US Navy, understood what could happen and knew who to call. To this day, he has not blown his own horn about any of that, but he may have kept things form getting a lot worse.

At Chernobyl, they only knew about being beaten up from up top and felt the best way to deal with the problem was not to tell anyone as it got worse. Then a bad design with a flimsy containment building blew up and a plume of radiation covered Europe.

We really do a lot of things better in the US but it's our openness which makes much of it possible. If we all start to fear we are being watched and monitored, we risk clamming up as the Chernobyl staff did and this fear could set us back as a nations and as a culture. It's called "chilling effect" and it is dangerous to an open democracy of any place and any age.

Last edited:

Woyzeck

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2012
I doubt that such large scale operations can be done without the vendor recognizing them or - even worse - the vendor's active support.

If the NSA has manipulated thousands of iPhones this leaves traces. Firmware checksums are changed etc. And some of these devices will randomly make it to engineering support where they're checked and I'm quite sure that it'll be easy to find out that a smartphone's firmware was hacked by applying standard maintenance routine.

Furthermore we now know of some vendors (i.e. for networking components) that actively provided backdoors to their devices, we know that the NSA was successful in manipulating encryption algorithms etc. So they have support from the vendors.

And third we know that all vendors are obliged to deny any cooperation if asked.

The funny part about this is that most networking components and smartphones that are used in the US networks these days come from China. Well, we don't know what they're capable of doing to our infrastructure with just a few clicks.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
From what I understand this is still to be determined. It is suppose to be that they need a court order to run surveillance on anyone in the US… from what's been leaked, it seems that they are monitoring outside the US.

As, so doing mass surveillance outside USA is acceptable?

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
Just like when Steve lied and denied the iPhone 4 having the antennagate problem?

A ridiculous comparison. Also there was never an actual antennagate problem. Even when Steve gave in and offered free bumper cases, he still reasonably resisted the urge to acknowledge there was a fault. And Apple demonstrated there was no fault in various tests to journalists present at the PR event.

Apple gave away the free bumper cases because they wanted to make confused consumers happy with their devices. That's what Apple always does - goes the extra mile for their loyal customers.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
That sketch is ironic. Sometimes if I ring my phone or utilites company when I'm feeling particularly obtuse. This is what happens;

Me : Dials number.
Them : Answers phone and begins scripted answer containing the phrase, "Please be advised that this conversation is being recorded for quality and training purposes, good morning and how can I help you today?".
Me : That's fine. It's only fair to say by the way that I'm recording this too.
Them : Doooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!

I can't comment about your state's laws, but here in MA it's enough that only one of the parties to a conversation notifies all parties that the conversation is being recorded. Once they tell you they are recording it, you can record it it without giving notice.

Renzatic

Suspended
I can't comment about your state's laws, but here in MA it's enough that only one of the parties to a conversation notifies all parties that the conversation is being recorded. Once they tell you they are recording it, you can record it it without giving notice.

Actually, quite a few states only require that one party is aware they're being recorded, and doesn't have to notify the other party of anything.

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
Honestly getting sick of all the lying. Clearly one side is lying. I somehow doubt the leaked documents are lies.

I love Apple but come on...

so you put more trust in the proven-liars CIA than Apple. riiiight.

(just goes to show ya, facts won't slow people down...they believe what they want to believe.)

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2009
so you put more trust in the proven-liars CIA than Apple. riiiight.

(just goes to show ya, facts won't slow people down...they believe what they want to believe.)

I trust Apple more. But these documents were leaks. They weren't supposed to be leaks so I'm assuming that these are internal documents. Why would the NSA lie to people within their own department?

BHP41

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
United States of America
I find humorous that all these people are up in arms about the NSA and spying. Yet 80% of them have Google accounts. LMMFAO at you fools.

If any of you people posting "put up your SSN,DL# so on and so on, think for one second that the NSA or federal government don't already have that info. You're living in a ***** dream world. Guess what, they have your fingerprints on file also. OH NO!!!!!

Now, should the NSA have limits. Absolutely. Should they be able to tap and spy on Americans that they have suspicions of terrorist activity. Absolutely. Does anyone really think that the NSA wastes it's time on your boring ass emails or racy text messages to your girlfriend. Get a life, you're not that important. If you are, then you're on their radar.

SMFH

Renzatic

Suspended
Now, should the NSA have limits. Absolutely. Should they be able to tap and spy on Americans that they have suspicions of terrorist activity. Absolutely. Does anyone really think that the NSA wastes it's time on your boring ass emails or racy text messages to your girlfriend. Get a life, you're not that important. If you are, then you're on their radar.

Thanks for telling us how it is, dude guy. You're so cool. :D

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2004
Apple just called out the NSA as malicious hackers....

What else should Apple say? We work in tandem with the NSA even on Christmas? The NSA doesn't care. Just confuses everyone more.

It's obvious Apple and everyone else works with the NSA. Come on, wake up. I can't really fault Apple or any other corporation though because they don't have a choice.

Don't you know who the money masters are?

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
As, so doing mass surveillance outside USA is acceptable?

To a point… yes, if done for the right reasons. It's not like we're the only ones spying on other countries or groups and people who are a threat. I hope no one here thinks the U.S. is the only one that does this sort of thing.

winston1236

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
If it is true it is never in Apple's good interest to tell the truth. They'll never say it is happening with the knowledge.

Of course they knew about it, they probably do it as a favor to the gov for not bothering them about the Chinese labor issues

Rad99004

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2009
I would think the NDA wouldn't allow them to talk about it anyway.

My observations:

NSA spying blown wide open.

Some companies deny involvement later admit some cooperation with them.

All the companies saying they will encrypt their data and make other changes to prevent access. Wink Wink ;)

NSA hopes this will all blow over, system continues as before.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008

Possibly. Point I was making though is that people don't like a rule that's fair and applies to both parties regarding privacy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.