Apple Design Chief Jony Ive Talks Secrecy, His Future, and More at WIRED Anniversary Event

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 15, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple design chief Jony Ive sat down with Vogue's Anna Wintour this morning for an interview at WIRED's 25th anniversary event, where he talked about secrecy at Apple, his future with the company, and more.

WIRED didn't stream the event, but CNET's Shara Tibken and Washington Post's Geoffrey Fowler were on hand and shared details on what Ive had to say on Twitter.

[​IMG]
    Image via Shara Tibken​

On the topic of iPhone addiction, Ive said that it's good to be connected, but the "real issue" is what's done with that connection. According to Ive, when it comes to innovating, it's impossible to predict all of the consequences. "In my experience, there have been surprising consequences," he said. "Some fabulous and some less so."

Apple introduces new features like Screen Time because the company doesn't believe that its responsibility for a product ends when the product is shipped. Apple, says Ive, wants to design its technology to be more human to "restore some humanity" in the way people connect with one another.

When questioned about why Apple is so secretive and keeps its projects under wraps as much as possible, Ive said that not being secretive would be "bizarre." Not many creators would want to talk about what they're doing "when they're halfway through it," he said.
    According to Ive, he's at Apple for the long haul. He continues to see a lot to do with Apple, and is happy with the team that he works with. The "energy and vitality" at Apple is "extraordinary" and "very exciting" Ive said.
    Ive is still learning at Apple with each new project, and when asked about the last thing he learned, he said that it was a detail on how you can connect glass to a structural frame. "We're still surprised and learning so much," he said.

It's not yet clear if WIRED plans to share the full interview Anna Wintour conducted with Jony Ive, but should a video or additional details be published, we'll update this post.

Update: WIRED has shared additional comments from Ive during the interview.

Article Link: Apple Design Chief Jony Ive Talks Secrecy, His Future, and More at WIRED Anniversary Event

2. meaning-matters, Oct 15, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2018

meaning-matters macrumors 6502

meaning-matters

Love his hardware design.
    Hate his software design.

Minimalistic works for hands, not for eyes.

3. Cole Slaw macrumors 6502a

Cole Slaw

Jesus, it sounds like this guy is going to be around for a long, long time.

4. 7thson macrumors 6502a

7thson

I doubt she did but it would have been a great follow up on secrecy by asking if he regrets Apple announcing AirPower before it was ready.

5. mashdots macrumors member

mashdots

Right, except by the day before the announcement of new iphones, we see exactly what they look like due to leaks.

6. bigboyz12000 macrumors member

bigboyz12000

Why would he leave? Talk about a "dream job"

7. Baymowe335 macrumors 68030

Ive probably works his butt off and he's earned it.

8. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Why didn't they ask him about the MacPro ? Seems like a no-brainer.

9. D.T. macrumors G3

D.T.

Hahaha, when I first saw the article title, I would've sworn it said, "... talks secret society ...", and I was like, YES, I knew it!

:D

10. AngerDanger, Oct 15, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2018

AngerDanger macrumors 68040

AngerDanger

Whew, glad to finally read more from Ive. I was about to file this…
    Missing Ive.jpg

11. Mac Fly (film) macrumors 65816

Mac Fly (film)

Should they share the video, hopefully they do not chop it into fifty pieces to share them separately, like WSJ and ReCode would do, in their buggy as all hell web player.

12. imageWIS macrumors 65816

Ives will finally disappear into thin air.

13. plexdk macrumors 6502

Yeah this looks alot better in 2018 /s E7CD533A-B847-45FC-9523-402682AAA5AB.png

14. Bustycat macrumors regular

Bustycat

15. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

Other than MR, I don’t think anywhere do I hear customers asking for a new MacPro. Just sayin

16. GrumpyMom macrumors 604

GrumpyMom

I’m glad he’s staying.

I’m sure all the copycats in the Android sphere are glad to hear it, too...I say as an Android phone fan myself.

I don’t necessarily like his minimalist take on everything especially when it clashes with sensible ergonomics. But I can’t deny most of what he designs for Apple becomes the iconic look everyone else copies. Even that #%$ notch.

17. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

I would love to have his bank accounts for a day

18. Tech198 macrumors G5

lol...yep.... not a problem...

19. Internet Enzyme macrumors 6502a

Internet Enzyme

I actually believe that, fundamentally, certain icons such as ‘Camera,’ ‘Safari,’ ‘Reminders,’ ‘Mail,’ ‘iTunes,’ and ‘Settings’ in that example are more attractive than their iOS 12 counterparts. I think iOS 12 as a whole is fair superior in terms of UI, but the old aqua design does still have charm to it.

20. RickInHouston macrumors 65816

Not by looking at that photo of him in that chair.

21. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

Jimmy James

It’s the “most personal” interview he’s ever done.

22. GenesisST macrumors 68000

GenesisST

Kind of ironic his obsession with thinness nowadays...

23. orbital~debris macrumors 6502a

orbital~debris

Ive is hands down one of the greats. His design sensibilities, focussed through Apple, have affected so much of how we interact with modern technology (and by extension, with each other). I think too many here on MR get caught up in dissing trivialities and miss the iconic work that's being done by Apple's industrial design team.

24. daveporter2005 macrumors newbie

daveporter2005

Good!

25. Maclver macrumors 68020

Maclver

Cough Airpower... Cough