Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Feyl

Cancelled
Aug 24, 2013
I will buy the most expensive iPhone Xs Maxes for my whole family if he says something new and interesting this time.

Superhappytree

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2015
Cumbria
According to Ive, he's at Apple for the long haul. He continues to see a lot to do with Apple, and is happy with the team that he works with.”

Ugh.
Sorry, but Ive lost his mojo after Jobs died. I appreciate what he’s done for Apple but also detest what he’s done to Apple since then. I realise that he was only ever so great because he had Jobs as his filter, now we are starting to see all his design flaws now that Jobs is no longer there to say no.

Last edited:

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
Why didn't they ask him about the MacPro ? Seems like a no-brainer.

The Mac Pro would have been an excellent mainstream 'desktop machine" if targeted at the right groups at the right price. The problem is they tried to throw the machine at the people need performance at all cost and as a result couldn't really deliver. Imagine a Mac Pro with Intels best desktop processor (six cores) and one good GPU. It would of sold to thousands of professionals at $1500 to $2000 who don't need a XEON based high performance workstation.

Reactions: dysamoria

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
All you moaning about AirPower, Mac Pro etc, you have to remember Ive designs the stuff, he doesn’t make them work or actually produce them. He’s designed AirPower, we’ve seen it, making it actuallly work seems to be the issue.

Cole Slaw

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2006
Canada
Mr. Ives thinness über alles is not good design philosophy.
You get a pretty package but at the cost of non-upgradability and minimal repairability, as well as less than ideal cooling.
It'll look great but will essentially be an expensive throw away item in not too many years.
Plus I just can't stand listening to the drivel that spews out of his mouth.

kemal

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2001
Nebraska
Just changed the hard drive in an Armani Suit laptop. Designed for user service in every way. So sad to see what happened.

Shiro_Simba

Suspended
Sep 28, 2018
London
Why would he leave? Talk about a "dream job"

Unless to retire, I can’t see him leaving . He shines at Apple, his other design work that I have seen him involved in, demonstrates that he will not be put on a pedestal like he is at Apple. Frankly his ego is also too big to move on.

Anyone feel free to prove me wrong and showcase some other designs that he has worked on that demonstrates his ability . I know he did the Leica camera, which he failed to grasp the basic understanding why a camera should have easy to access controls - minimalistic design is BS when it impacts the useability of the device . He is a one trick pony - thin thin thin . I do very much respect his design at apple though, him and apple are a great fit , though I suspect Jobs also reigned him in early in his career, making him understand the user experience comes first ...

DVD9

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2010
Sell the MAC computer division.

Macs are held hostage by Apple who clearly do not want to spend any resources on them. Look at an iPhone and look at a 15" Macbook Pro.

Which has the higher profit margin?

Macs are dead unless they are broken off and sold to a Dell or HP who would be thrilled with their profit margins.

Shiro_Simba

Suspended
Sep 28, 2018
London
All you moaning about AirPower, Mac Pro etc, you have to remember Ive designs the stuff, he doesn’t make them work or actually produce them. He’s designed AirPower, we’ve seen it, making it actuallly work seems to be the issue.

Lack of AirPower or Mac Pro is Tim’s fault . The appropriate question is, who is influencing Tim to make these product decisions

Reactions: dysamoria

Kabeyun

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2004
Eastern USA
Ive: "If you lose that childlike excitement, I think then it's probably time to do something else.

Wintour: "So do investors need to panic soon" (edited for clarity)

Ive: "Oh goodness, no."

lostngone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2003
Anchorage
What always bothers me is when a new Apple product is released at an Apple Event Sir Jonathan Paul Ive(He's a Knight you know!) never seems to be on stage to talk about the product. They play a highly produced video of him talking about the product but he is rarely on stage. I would say he simply doesn't like to do public speaking but then he does stuff like this.

Reactions: Feyl
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.